Old 10-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Smyrna , Tennessee
Confused about where to keep our address

Hi all - I'm new to the forums!

We are going to be full-timing for a year(ish) beginning in January. We want to sell our house in TN before we hit the road. After the year is up, we will probably return to TN and buy a new property.

We aren't sure what to do with our legal address for the year we are gone. We're self-employed, with our business registered with the state of TN of course, and we need to keep it here and return to it after the year of travel. Our son will also start pre-school in TN when we return.

All our parents are in TX and we don't have any family in TN. We would love any advice from those of you who are more knowledgable about this than we are! Out-of-the-box ideas are welcome too! Oh and I know the easiest thing may be to just get renters for our house, but we are trying avoid that for a couple different reasons.

Thank you all!

Old 10-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out these folks,

https://escapees.com

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Smyrna , Tennessee
I have and it wasn't helpful to my specific situation.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Maybe we don't know enough details but....why not just keep your address in TN. Get a PO box at post office or at one of the mail stores before you sell house and just forward and change of address your current mail to there. Is there any need to change it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
An address can easily be moved, then moved again back to wherever you are. The real issue here and you may not be aware of this is your health insurance. Unless your on Medicare your health insurance is state related. By that I mean while on the road you may find yourself "out of network " for health care, you could be paying upfront for health issues & trying to get reimbursed from your carrier if at all. Suggest you approach residency from that standpoint as major medical issues out of network could prove to be a costly nightmare. I know people who say TX & FL are good states to establish residency & purchase health care with broad in network coverage.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Zil
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
You can't use a US PO Box if you don't have a physical address. Also it must be visited at least every few days or it is jammed full of junk mail.
My Florida medicare supplement would be 3 times more than it is in South Jersey.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Zil, that's why I said get the PO box before they sell house.

You can put yourself on a no junk mail list. I will cut out the bulk of it.

You can go paperless on almost all bills.

You can suspend subscriptions and cancel catalogs.

You hire the post office store or a person to check your mail once every couple weeks and before you know it a yet is up.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Sacramento , California
We were introduced to Americas Mailbox in S. Dakota since we can get a very reasonable registration and legal US License Plate for our Baja, Mexico car. We have a resident mailing address there and they will handle your mail and even purge your junk mail for a fee. Let them know where you are located for a week or so and they will forward your mail there.
Americas-Mailbox Home - mail forwarding - Americas-Mailbox

Hope this helps
Old 10-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Check out these folks,

https://escapees.com
Agree with AWCHIEF’s post - we are Escapees members and only use the mailbox address when we are going to be on the road for a month or more. You can easily change your address back to Tennessee when you move back there.

When we are on the road, I’ll usually call Escapees once a week and have them forward our mail to where we are or will be. Takes usually 3 days for the mail to arrive. We’ve been members of Escapees for about 6 years and really appreciate having that aspect of life on the road taken care of so well.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
If U establish residency in TX, U will have Ur trailer insp each yr. B4 tag renew. Not reqd in most TN counties. Escapees can help U est. Res. in TN, TX, or FL. Can provide mail forwarding from each of the 3 states.

Mail fwd service is very impt if U don't visit a private maibox often.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
SD worked for us. We sold our home in NY however our business interest there required paying NY state taxes. In one day we became citizens of SD, voted, obtained driver licenses, registered our vehicles. SD has a low population so insurance rates for vehicles and medicare are lower, no income tax helped too. We chose Americas Mailbox Rapid City SD which is an online source for scheduling our mail delivery wherever we were and provide various services like dealing with renewal of licenses and registrations. However now that we have Homeland Security you have to show up for license renewal but that is just once every 5 years on your birthday in SD. We also wintered in Rockport Tx 30 min north of Corpus Christie which has excellent medical services and low food and RV costs. You might want to look into Overnight Parking $25 /year. Users provide information about free overnight parking, safety, restrictions etc. We found it very useful when traveling long distances to get to our next destination at low cost. Because it is on line you can check out sites up ahead before you waste time looking.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Can you find a place in TN that will rent you a room? Maybe in a local college town?
Old 10-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07007 View Post
However now that we have Homeland Security you have to show up for license renewal but that is just once every 5 years on your birthday in SD.
Can you elaborate on this?

You mean when your license is due for renewal you have to travel back to SD to show up anytime prior to your birthday. So my wife's birthday is February and mine is October so we'd have to show up in SD during the winter months or could we renew during the previous summer or fall.

Kelvin
Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I use a UPS store mail box as a "real" address. They can sign for packages from any delivery service (UPS, Fed Ex,) and then forward your stuff.