Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
[QUOTE=KJRitchie;1697735]Can you elaborate on this?

You mean when your license is due for renewal you have to travel back to SD to show up anytime prior to your birthday. So my wife's birthday is February and mine is October so we'd have to show up in SD during the winter months or could we renew during the previous summer or fall.

Yes you must show up in person...2009 Federal law requires it.
We faced the same issue me in August wife in December. We had to do this in 2013. Things change so contact SD to find out what is involved now. I got an extension because I couldn't get there on my birthday. We both were able to obtain license same day with paperwork. Bottom line SD is a nice state to deal with unlike NY. Everyone we met in government were kind and understanding and down right friendly.

Contact Driver Licensing
Jane Schrank, Program Director
118 West Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: 605.773.6883
Fax: 605.773.3018

Program Assistant, Arin Diedrich

07007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #16

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
There are certainly a wide variety of issues involved with making a decision such as yours. Health insurance, drivers license, taxes...

If you really are only going to be gone for a year it seems to me that maintaining your residency in TN far outweighs the benefits you might have with changing (for one year) to another state. Yes, some of the other states facilitate the RVer lifestyle but keeping everything in TN seems more straightforward since you plan to return soon.

The idea of being out of network for medical insurance purposes is blown out of proportion. Yes, you might find yourself out of network and I'm sure it's happened to people with dire consequences. Choose a provider with a wide network and purchase travel medical insurance too. There are lots of types of travel insurance - some pay to return you to your home state, return your RV, etc. Look around and find a policy or policies that will give you peace of mind.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
I stick by what i have said about US PO Boxes. I have been there done that and US PO Box will not work for an absentee address. Pick a state with good commercial mail services, such as Texas. Not that I like Texas, but health insurance is very high in Florida, and SD is cold in winter.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Maybe we don't know enough details but....why not just keep your address in TN. Get a PO box at post office or at one of the mail stores before you sell house and just forward and change of address your current mail to there. Is there any need to change it.
I'm with her.

Since you will be going back to TN, I would stay with them for your permanent address, forwarding to a p.o. box. Doing something out of state for a year could cause all sorts of unintended consequences.

You might look into getting a UPS box for your year of absence. We did this for a couple of years, having mail forwarded there from our home, then calling them every few weeks and they would send everything that has come in to whatever address you request.

The only thing to be aware of, and is the reason we stopped using this, is that Priority Mail to a remote area of Wyoming, Montana, etc., can be 7 business days, so allow plenty of time for mail to arrive before you have to move on.

My suggestion would be to make a reservation for a few days, 10 days or so out, at a well established campground, and let them know the mail is coming.

They will hold it for you if it gets there before you do.

Good luck, and have fun traveling.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #19
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
As to the insurance issue nvestysly mentioned, check with your provider re out of network costs in an emergency before changing providers.

If you are healthy and have had checkups before you go, routine medical care should be covered for a year.

It's those ER visits and hospitalization that can bite you, but many insurances don't penalize you for emergencies.

You're going to get more info than you wanted, here, in all likelihood, as that is just the nature of the beast.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We are full-timers, so the change of address was a permanent one for us, and that's not the case for the OP.

Escapees has a booklet about "Becoming a Texan" which will help with changing domicile. Since the OP is going to return to Tennessee in a year or so I'd suggest finding a mail forwarding service there. There are several to choose from. Simply do a PERMANENT change of address from your current address to the forwarding service. Please note that you cannot do a change of address FROM the forwarding service. You will have to notify everyone of the address change yourself.

As others have said, check with your health insurance company about your plans. If you have some idea of where you will be going that will help them help you.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #21
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
While we sold house and all possessions, we were not interested in relinquishing our NC residency. We remain NC residents, having changed our address of record to family's house.

Very little mail arrives there normally - Board of Elections, Sheriff's dept, Blue Cross Blue Shield all use that address. All other mail has, for over eight years, gone to Livingston TX to be held for forwarding. Any agency, creditor, or service requiring a mailing address has our "Escapees" address. Very convenient for us, especially skimming the non-first class mail before sending along to us.

Not really a problem with vehicle and drivers licenses. We plan our visit annually to work out with these schedules, and also arrange doctors and dentists visits then too. Fortunately, NC allows renewing things up to 90 days ahead.

Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote