Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Franklin , North Carolina
Cold / Hot Problems ?

While searching the various forums I have discovered several postings that discuss the inability to keep the AS trailers comfortable in hot or cold conditions. Is there an insulation problem we need to know about?

Tarheel-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
My husband has closed off and insulated the outside storage which is open to under the bed. This eliminated a lot of cold air. In the summer we cover skylites, vents and the curved windows w the quilted foil pads you can buy to use for your windshild. We have cut them all to size and they do keep the heat out well. We have also had the micro out and insulated behind it while it was out. Hope this helps.

StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We don't have any problems from 26-105 degrees.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #4

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
As is discussed at length on these forums, the Airstream isn't as well-insulated from exterior conditions as a modern house, and the aluminum structure is good at conducting heat. This means you'll be more aware of exterior weather conditions.

That said, my '75 Argosy did OK in the shade at 102F, the AC was able to bring the temperature down to the point at which the compressor could cycle on and off (it DID take a while to get there, of course.) I've no cold-weather experiences to share, but that's been done as well. People recommend some sort of skirting to keep wind from blowing underneath the trailer, and the built-in furnace needs to run to heat the tanks and water lines in the belly. People generally describe our Airstreams as "3-season" trailers. I wouldn't want to live in one in a Minnesota winter unless it was parked in a heated barn.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Each Airstream length/floorplan has its advantages and disadvantages; of course, the shorter ones are easier to cool.
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote