Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Close call with fire, the mess and what we have done about it

We live full time on our 2018 Classic 30. We have a BBQ plumbed through a 15' hose to the propane connector on the yoke. We use the BBQ frequently. I am careful to always turn the propane source off when not using it and make sure the BBQ itself is placed well away from the trailer skin. We have it set up under our awning.

I had just started the BBQ and was waiting for it to warm up. I got distracted by a phone call and eventually smelled something burning. I went outside and the BBQ had dark, sooty smoke and flames coming from the back of the BBQ. I grabbed our factory stock fire extinguisher and discharged the contents into the BBQ through various vent holes. I did not open the lid of the BBQ. The fire did indeed go out. The knobs had melted off. Everything was really hot.

I was left with a large (10ft) zone of fire extinguisher powder. I examined the BBQ and apparently the accumulated grease in the bottom of the unit had caught fire.

I bought a new BBQ with better grease handling features. As for the spent fire extinguisher, I remember 25 years ago needing a fire extinguisher on a sailboat. I used the factory extinguisher and had the same powdery mess to clean up. I was never really able to get all the powder out of cracks, etc. At that time I bought a couple of 5 lb. Halon extinguishers. I never had to use them but they were no-mess and had more capacity than the factory units. We practiced space-evacuation drills and added a fire blanket for an additional firefighting option.

Fast forward to the trailer. I looked at the factory wood bracket and it seemed a close fit to a 5lb extinguisher body. I had a Halotron extinguisher from the boat that fit the space perfectly. Our trailer now has a clean, higher capacity fire extinguisher for the next time we have to deal with fire suppression situations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haldon.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	322986  
Bothell, WA
WBCCI 03495
JimskyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I always preheat my Weber Q to 450-500 degrees F before I start grilling. The fire you described would have started whether you were looking at it or not so don’t blame yourself for not being there at the start.

Since you have undoubtedly thrown this POS grill into the nearest dumpster, please divulge the brand and type of grill that caught fire and the grill maintenance scheduled (or lack there of) performed before the fire so we can all learn from your mistake.

If you are trying to sell me a fire extinguisher, this thread is not the place.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Gas Grill Fire

We have a Weber Q1000. Great little grill. I thoroughly clean it out after every use. Chicken, fish, burgers, steak, does not matter, Complete wipeout and wash the grill racks. New tin foil in the drip pan makes it ready for the next delicious meal. No surprise fire that way.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Smart move on changing out the type of extinguisher that you use. ABC types while cheaper and found everywhere have the nasty side effect of leaving behind a corrosive powder. You should remove all traces of that powder.

You might also consider just getting a propane tank for your grill. While not as convenient you can place it far away from your dwelling.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Heart Of , Texas
I would recommend a few bottles like the below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U0KGDY...dea_lv_dp_vv_d

2020 Classic 33 FTB
2019 Ford F250
Blue Ox Hitch
KBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimskyD View Post
Fast forward to the trailer. I looked at the factory wood bracket and it seemed a close fit to a 5lb extinguisher body. I had a Halotron extinguisher from the boat that fit the space perfectly. Our trailer now has a clean, higher capacity fire extinguisher for the next time we have to deal with fire suppression situations.
^
Yep
👍
Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_179b.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	325142  
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBAR View Post
I would recommend a few bottles like the below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U0KGDY...dea_lv_dp_vv_d

That is a brilliant solution. I ordered me some for the house and inside my truck. Thanks!
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
1st upgrade the fire extinguisher . to a larger one
time is not on yor side
the small ones stop too early for most people
cheap insurance

2nd clean off the racks each time.
not only fire safer, its health safer so food does not go moldy sitting around

3rd get a bbq with a removeable drip tray
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jim,

Sorry about the close call. No monday night QB comments here and no way did I see this as a sales pitch. Had no clue ABC's residue had bad manners.

Thanks for sharing, something to keep in mind.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote