Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #41

2005 34' Classic S/O
Huntsville , Alabama
Don, We full timed for six years and are on the road a good deal now. We have used both Cingular and Verizon. Just make sure you get the top plan for roaming so you are not charged roaming fees and are connected to reciprocal service in out of the way places. Colet
Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
US Cellular

Well since this thread has been woken out of its slumber, I thought I would add a tidbit. After 4 years with what I consider very good nationwide service, I'm considering a switch. My requirement is simple. I want a service were I can be anywhere where there is a signal and use my phone, regardless of the carrier and no roaming fees. My current plan from Verizon (called the nation wide plan) gives me 150 minutes for $35 monthly with free weekends. Not bad. I can upgrade to America's Choice II (not to be confused with the America's Choice plan) which still has the same calling ability for $39.95 and 300 minutes (I'm not sure about nights or weekends).

US Cellular has come into our local market offering the same calling scope with 800 minutes for $39.95 (no free nights or weekends). I've investigated their network and worked with them in placing antennas inside the convention center and domed stadium here. I feel pretty good about their concern and efforts to provide good signals to the area.

I guess I'm curious whether any of you have used these folks in a nation wide situation. I'm happy with Verizon, but having another 650 minutes a month for $5 more and keeping the same calling scope is enticing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Recommend staying with big guys Verizon, Cingular, or Sprint. Not sure I'd recommend T-Mobile. All the customer service is terrible, but they have the big national networks.

I use Cingular, but I could equally use Verizon. I am considering switchimg my T-Mobile GPRS data service ($30/mon) to the Cingular unlimited GPRS/EDGE service ($60/mon) to get the greater speeds and better coverage.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #44

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Recommend staying with big guys Verizon, Cingular, or Sprint. Not sure I'd recommend T-Mobile. All the customer service is terrible, but they have the big national networks.

I use Cingular, but I could equally use Verizon. I am considering switchimg my T-Mobile GPRS data service ($30/mon) to the Cingular unlimited GPRS/EDGE service ($60/mon) to get the greater speeds and better coverage.

73/gus
The key for a national plan is a service that allows free roaming and provides you a tri-mode phone which lets you into the analog areas. While the eventual goal of the carriers is to migrate to digital service, we've been surprised at the amount of analog service still out there. Those will be the last sites to go digital since their traffic is light enough to still support the band hogging analog signals. That's why it's important to know that the plan you buy will give you service in those "white areas" on their coverage map (places were they have no service).

If you are buying a national plan, its also important to check if your phone choice will truly be able to be used nationally. If its digital only then understand you will have coverage gaps. If it doesn't, then understand what you are being offered is a national plan for your carrier in the areas that they have presence only. I know for a fact that Verizon and US Cellular still offer tri-mode phones. I don't know about the other carriers.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
cell phone

"Recommend staying with big guys Verizon, Cingular, or Sprint. Not sure I'd recommend T-Mobile."
I would agree with this. You need a major carrier. We have Nextel, before we retired we were in the theatrical business and all the guys carried either Nextel or Verizon - they might move every day and all over the US and needed contact.

I had T-mobile for a internet connection and really did not like it. bad, bad, with service worse.
I have been thinking about checking out Verizon for lower cost and a little better coverage.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

I wouldn't wish Sprint/Nextel on my worst enemy.

If Alltel sells in your area, they are wonderful when it comes to customer service, their plans are very good, and you can go up and down change your plan WITHOUT reupping your contract.

Also, Alltel roams on Verizon and Sprint towers (which you don't pay extra on a national plan).
VSP Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #47
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Congrats on Full timing and good luck with the cancer recovery.
I bought a Palm treo with Verizon. The phone does Email, web and is a good phone as well. Verizon: coverage out west. Everyone I talked to out there said "Verizon".

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Eden , North Carolina
Smile Fulltimers with Alltel

We have been on the road fulltime since September 2006. That was my first experience with "RV's, trailers and ect. We have been in Upstate NY, NC, IN, IA and TX since then. We use Alltel and have "OVERALL" not had a problem. There have been a few places in Upstate NY our phones did not work but..... no cell phone would work in those area's. We had to drive to the top of the mountain and then had service. We have 3 phones on our system with free nights and weekend (after 9 PM nights) with 2100 minutes and my Computer card with it's own line (bringing it up to 4 numbers) for about $225 a month.
I also have a wireless card for my computer and have internet anywhere my telephone works. If anyone has as good a system less than $60 a month, please let me know.
Thanks
ctalley316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
BROOKLYN , Michigan
There is suppose to be a wireless that also provides internet hookup and they provide the equipment needed to use any where.
What we need to know (being brand new at this) is what do you do about your mail if your gone for months at a time?
We plan to take our very first Airstream summer starting in May and want to go to the mountains (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and New Mexico), does anyone have any suggestions on the best places to go that isn't real busy or things we should be aware of. Thanks
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
1977 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Richland , Missouri
Howdy,

My wife and I travel the USA extensively both personal and professionally. We've had Sprint, Verison and now Cingular for the past five years. Hands down Cingular/ATT is the best coverage, quality and price. The Nationwide plan is nationwide with no hassells. We've even been in the remote areas of the Sierra Madre in Mexico and had a good signal. Calls to the states from Mexico are 70 cents a minute.

IMHO cell phone plans are like tow vehicles, to each his or her own...

Happy Trails

dale
w5wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Gunny,
From old retired guy to another...I've had Cingular for years and love it for all the reasons stated above. Just one more vote for Cingular.
Glad to hear you are doing well.
Rgds,
Scott

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
digital or trimode?

We are about to change our service from Cingular to Verizon, we need to choose phones. My husband is considering an all digital phone, I have read trimode is better for rural areas. We have gone to many places in our Airstream without being able to get a signal. What do you suggest?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a note..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Don,
For what it's worth...My vote is with Verizon..
After having cell fones, going back nearly 20 yrs and having been burned big time by the best of them..I can truely say, that, with Verizon..I sleep well at night..
All of our family members have the same (Verizon) and, enjoy the no cost features of being able to call each other anytime`
Abt the only time I really have to watch it is when traveling thru WVA...seems like everytime I hit a certain area of WVA, near the Northern part of Va. it wants to slip me into roaming..ugh..
Great news about the outcome of your surgery..Take it easy and enjoy your trips~
Jack
Thanks for the timely reminder about the *228...I try to do this once every 2 month but, you know how time can get away from you..
Keep in touch as you may`
ciao
53FC
Shortly after I posted this back in 2k5..We were spending a weekend camping with the NEU. A group of us went out on a whale watch..To make a long story short, we came upon a young Humpback whale that was tangled badly in fishing gear...The skipper of the vessel tried but, was unable to raise help from a shore based unit to rescue the whale.
I had my Verzion cell and, found I had a strong signal. Called the 800 number provided by the ship's crew and, got the word across as to our location and, help was soon on the way to free the whale from the entanglement..
Mind you now, this was 20 to 25 miles out?
To say that any cell company has coverage that far out is exceptional..
Verizon did and, it worked~!
jm2cw..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
1977 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Richland , Missouri
See my post above...

Remember that cell phones are nothing more than wireless radios much like CB and ham radios. Their range is dependent on the availability and placement of towers. A strong signal at sea only means that there was a tower on a high point with one of the antennas pointed towards the sea or there abouts and not an indication of overall coverage.

Cell phone providers are like driving different vehicles. If it suits you and makes you happy then go for it! However, nationwide proven performance is also important if you are a frequent traveler.

Trimode phone just add the analog band. This band performs much like AM radio. Expect wavering signals with much fading. Yes, you can get a signal, but talking is a different matter.

A final point is that, as Consumer Reports often says... Try one out for 30 days to see if it suits you. Most providers will allow you to do that.

Happy Trails

w5wi dale
w5wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I was just wondering if there is plenty of digital coverage in remote rural places where we take trips to. I don't expect that in the mountains out West or at Acadia or parts of Florida where we formerly had no service has it now but there are other places that I can't just think of off hand, but we like the boonies when we camp, the further away from cities the better. I don't think we will be able to get away very far within 30 days and phone store man told us 14 days.

photography
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
iPhone first, carrier second...

The features/capabilities of the iPhone seal the deal. It's hard to see what alternative might be in second place, so the decision is simple: AT&T.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
iPhone

If it will replace my newer Cell Phone, old Palm Pilot, and old iPod then I'm getting one.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

The IPhone is too cool! I watched the demo and was blown away. Certainly the wave of the future!

photography
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #59

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
All digital will work fine near large cities and interstates. once you get off the highways you will rapidly loose reception. I have a palm treo 700. I like it. it works almost everywhere. get at least dual mode phone.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #60

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
the phone has been delayed a couple of times. I would stay away from it for a while. I love apple products but I will not buy the first release of anything.