Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #21
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Can You Hear Me Now

Cell Phones BAAA HUMMM BUGGG.
Who really needs or wants such a rude device.
Good lord man, get a grip.
Kind of takes some of the adventure out of it don't ya think.
Where have all the kahunas gone.
Bet Wally is rolling in his grave.

I have Verizon, never been in a place were my phone failed and another brand worked, but I havn't been everywhere yet.

Enjoy that full timin' dude, sounds really really good. Congrats on your surgery!
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Is that Barney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Other than the 'rubble' in this thread, you should find some good information.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=free+internet
For the sake a NUG (A.K.A. Nubie?) what is rubble?. I can only give my personal experience. I had AT&T (for work) back in the analog (pre-digital) days and it was abysmal (remember, I live in one of the top markets in the US for cellular coverage, Atlanta). Coverage was absolutely terrible. Walk into a single story building and there was absolutely no coverage.

At work we use Nextel. But don’t wander too far from the interstates/top 80 market areas. The two way is great, however. It’s a perfect add-on if you need to work with co-workers to trouble shoot tech problems, etc.

We have had Verizon for our home service for many years now and have only had the opportunity to use it from Washington, D.C. down to the panhandle of Florida (basically, the southeastern U.S.A.). We only lose service in areas that one might logically expect to (the mountains of western North Carolina, for example). The coverage area seems to be far superior to the other services we’ve had in the past (as mentioned, AT&T, Nextel, also, the former US Cellular and Bellsouth).

By the way, don’t get wrapped around the axle about porting your current number unless this is extremely important to you. All these ridiculous charges are just as excuse to charge you a bunch of fees. Simply get a new number. And we have never had to go thru the *228 process. I’m not sure why others do. Maybe that has to do with geography (i.e., areas not originally inside the Verizon service area). I honestly don’t really know.

What it all comes down to is this. All of the “majors” provide good service. What matters is what they can offer you for your particular area of geography at a reasonable cost. If you don’t need anything complicated, try one of the majors for a while. If it doesn’t work out, try somebody new. You might take a look at this website: http://clarkhoward.com. Clark used to have a pretty good primer on cellular service, although I haven’t checked in a while (and he has the added advantage of being a damned nice guy).

As always, this is just my opinion. Maybe it’ll help.

I hope this finds you well. It sounds like you’ve a bumpy road of late. May God watch over you. Semper fidelis, Marine.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
59toaster, I have had Cingular since 1989 and am no techie but want to know about hooking up a notebook computer to wireless when camping. I was told that I could subscribe to internet for 9.99/month and get 2 mgbs/mo. and just hook my computer to my Motorola V60 with a 39.99 cable. There was a less expensive option where I could pay by the partial mgbs but I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe .99/half mgbs. That was all the CS rep at the Fayetteville Cingular store could tell me. She was new to the internet offering at the time. I haven't checked back since I'm in no big hurry right now.

Can you offer any more info?
I wouldn't spend the money to do it on a TDMA phone (V60 is TDMA). The service of going down hill quick as they add towers. The purchase of AT&T was to add a LOT of towers QUICK. The GSM phone is much better at supporting DATA. Also your putting good money in after bad if you put any more into that product. Run it till it dies and replace it with a GSM product.

The Motorola V551 might be a good one for you. It uses the same jacks as the V60 so cig cords and data cables will work on both. The V551 supports EDGE so it will provide you the faster data speeds. It also supports "Bluetooth". Blue tooth is a wireless technology that if your laptop supports Blue tooth you wont need that cable at all. It will also let use wireless headsets and move pictures back and forth.

To answer a few other questions and responses to other comments.

There are places that TDMA may have coverage that GSM doesn't. A lot of those places are "Mom and Pop" Cell companies. Basically a small privately owned cell company. The own the Frequency so till they do something we are stuck. They are way behind in upgrading to GSM and if they don't do so soon they will be hurting. Most Mom and pops have been living large off Roaming customers but they never reinvested in their system to get on line with GSM when AT&T and Cingular went GSM. A lot are now in danger of bankrupting because they have lost the majority of the roaming business by not supporting GSM.

GSM is the world standard. While its new to the U.S. it has been around the rest of the world nearly 15 years. TDMA is trimmed down GSM. This was done because at the time (12 years ago) they were unable to produce a GSM phone that would support Analog. that Government bureaucracy for this. Most caries did not want to ever go to TDMA (AT&T Cingular) or CDMA (Spring Verizon) but it was forced on them by the FCC. The companies ha to fulfill a 10 year support of Analog per the FCC. That 10 years is up.

There is are two phones on the market that are called GAIT. The Nokia 6340 and the Ericsson T62u. They are horrendously complicated and as such a bit temperamental. ( I know because I am a certified repair person for both manufactures). There is a old adage "Jack of all trades, master of none". This applies well to GAIT products. To make it work on three technologies all three are compromised. A true GSM phone will outperform a GAIT on GSM. its just that simple. The GAIT was a stepping stone product that kept customers on line while the switch from TDMA to GSM was happening. Cingular is not putting a penny back into TDMA. It will only get worse from here.

GSM should be nearly the same foot print as TDMA in about 1 more year.

3G is on the hoizion. 3G is where DATA and Wireless will truly become one. You will be able to have streaming video, 200+k line speeds. Video call will become common place in about 4 years.

You doubt any of that then hit a Cingular Corprate store and ask them to Demo "Mobitv". Cingular is already offering Streaming video on many products with 2.5G.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #24
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Jim

Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: 1rub·ble
Pronunciation: 'r&-b&l
Function: noun
... b : a miscellaneous confused mass or group of usually broken or worthless things <lay in a pile of rubble, only this time there was more of it, additional gear having hit the deck-- K. M. Dodson>
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #25
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: 1rub·ble
Pronunciation: 'r&-b&l
Function: noun
... b : a miscellaneous confused mass or group of usually broken or worthless things <lay in a pile of rubble, only this time there was more of it, additional gear having hit the deck-- K. M. Dodson>
Please forgive. I thought I had stumbled onto a form of the vernacular heretofore unbeknownst to me, being the forum N.U.G. that I am. I was not aware that your intention was to delve into a sub-meaning of a common term. I simply thought there was some internet subculture significance to this everyday noun. I would ask your leave, and my humble apologies to you, sir.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Don,

Congrats on the health outlook! Go for the gold!

Depending on who's doing the calling...

Verizon has a free incoming plan that's tough to beat. 500 minutes for $49 a month -- those are outgoing minutes. All incoming calls are free.

Internet access is another $10 a month -- I can get emails there all the time. I just don't want to SEND emails from my phone!

Leo
That doesn't seem to be a current plan or its specific to your area. I cant find it for my zip code.

As for beating it. Cingular is $49.99 for 600 minuted unlimited mobile 2 mobile unlimited Free nights and weekend No roaming no long distance and no "In Network" second map to decipher.

http://www.verizonwireless.com
www.cingular.com

Compair the prices com pair the maps. Realize there are two maps with Verizon so be sure you understand what you are looking at.

Cingular offers 30day buyer remorse. If you are not happy you can bring it back for a full refund and no contract cancellation fees in the first 30days. All you will be liable for is the months service and activation fee. No questions asked.
I seem to recall Verizon has 15 day. So either company will let you try it before your locked in. See what works best for where you are traveling. Verizon is our toughest competitor and they or Cingural are going to provide the best coverage bar none. Nobody else is even close to the tow of them.

Cingular prorates their disconnect fees. If you sign a 2 year agreement and in 1.5 years you don't need the service the early cancellation charge is $10 per month for the remaining months. Nextell, Sprint, T-mobile I know will charge you full amount if you cancel 1 day early. I think Verizon does as well.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
TREO 600 with Cingular

Get the TREO 600 with Cingular. Right no they are $200. Get the $49 600 minute plan, but get the $20 dollar unlimited data plan....let's you connect your laptop with 57k connection speed anywhere, unlimited...you need the PDAnet software for it, but it's great for on the road. I love mine...a PDA, a cell phone, and an internet connection all in one.

Good luck
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
And we have never had to go thru the *228 process. I’m not sure why others do. Maybe that has to do with geography (i.e., areas not originally inside the Verizon service area). I honestly don’t really know.

Jim, the reason for the *228 is mostly for Verizon customers who have national service where we roam for free off of the Verizon network. In those cases the *228 updates those roaming tables as to the preferred carrier or whoever Verizon has agreements with.

The lack of an update could mean using the wrong carrier, thus incurring roaming fees (under some plans) or the potential of the call not completing.

I want my phone to work anywhere where a signal is present and not be concerned if the call is "on or off network" thus incurring roaming charges.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #29
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Jim, the reason for the *228 is mostly for Verizon customers who have national service where we roam for free off of the Verizon network. In those cases the *228 updates those roaming tables as to the preferred carrier or whoever Verizon has agreements with.

The lack of an update could mean using the wrong carrier, thus incurring roaming fees (under some plans) or the potential of the call not completing.

I want my phone to work anywhere where a signal is present and not be concerned if the call is "on or off network" thus incurring roaming charges.

Jack
No, No. I completely understand the reason for the star (*) feature. I’m simply saying that we’ve not had any reason to ever need to use it. I’m in the industry, so I have a fair understanding of how things work. (Just as an aside, I got dinged on the forum last night, so I’m trying not to sound like a “know-it-all“)

It’s been our experience that the phone simply works, all over the southeastern U.S.A., without any need to update tables/databases, that’s all. Also, life is a lot easier when you don’t have to worry about such things.

As with all my posts here, I am only relating my own personal knowledge or experience, I don‘t claim to be an expert on anything, other than the piece of ground I‘m standing on right now!. Verizon has been a very good service for our needs, that’s all.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have tried them all. I have had good luck with Verizon, Sprint PCS and Nextel. I currently have a Nextel and love it.

You can go to any of the cell carriers websites and check coverage maps.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Don,
For what it's worth...My vote is with Verizon..
After having cell fones, going back nearly 20 yrs and having been burned big time by the best of them..I can truely say, that, with Verizon..I sleep well at night..
All of our family members have the same (Verizon) and, enjoy the no cost features of being able to call each other anytime`
Abt the only time I really have to watch it is when traveling thru WVA...seems like everytime I hit a certain area of WVA, near the Northern part of Va. it wants to slip me into roaming..ugh..
Great news about the outcome of your surgery..Take it easy and enjoy your trips~
Jack
Thanks for the timely reminder about the *228...I try to do this once every 2 month but, you know how time can get away from you..
Keep in touch as you may`
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
My two cents...

That's about all I spend on cell phone service. I signed up with Verizon somewhere back in the 90s on a plan where I don't pay anything unless I make a call...and I still have my original phone. Never carry it except when on my boat. I couldn't even tell you what my phone number is. This is my now klunky phone. Recognize it?
Attached Images

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 AM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
That's about all I spend on cell phone service. I signed up with Verizon somewhere back in the 90s on a plan where I don't pay anything unless I make a call...and I still have my original phone. Never carry it except when on my boat. I couldn't even tell you what my phone number is. This is my now klunky phone. Recognize it?
My wife carries a phone although not free each month is pretty low cost. It runs $11.75 a month and $.26 a minute for each call. It's a Motrola MicroTac Lite which at the time was probably the smallest analog phones made and probably has the best voice quality of any phone I ever owned. Today it's a giant. It won't be long for this life since the cellular industry will eventually phase out analog service over the next few years. It will be interesting to see how Verizon handles the account conversion for phones like my wife's. I doubt I will see the $11.75 rate carry over.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Just came back from the Southwest Caravan and our Verizon worked when others wouldn't. We never had a time when ours wouldn't get out and others would. This came about after years of research and disappointments.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, we have Verizon here in Angel Fire -- simply because it's the only national carrier that we can use from our home! Yep, we live in the BOONIES!

Lynn
Old 03-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Verizon gets my vote for nation wide coverage, from San Diego to Oregon we never dropped a call and daughter lived in NY and now north GA and we talk every day with no problem....clear as a land line. We all have picture phones so I get quick pics of grandson...great fun for traveling.

May not be cheapest but best service for our needs so far....will hope to put it to the real test when we retire one of these days

All the best with your recovery, and have a great time on your adventure
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
My vote is Cingular. We went to Cingular GSM from the AT&T TDMA. We've had no problems with it traveling nationwide.

We also use $29.95/mon T-Mobile GPRS internet access. Speed is about the same as dial-in, but it works everywhere a T-Mobile phone works.

For use within AS, and in remote places, recommend Digital Antenna DA4000MR Dual Band Mobile Wireless Cellular Amplifier/Repeater. Makes a HUGE difference in remote areas. We have the omni-directional antenna, which is plenty for most places. We have also used a dual-band directional antenna, which gave us coverage in a remote location. I do believe several folks came over near our trailer to use our repeater. It is a bit pricy, but we move it from our house to the trailer. It works well since we live in rural area.

With the repeater, we get "5-bars" nearly everywhere - on both Cingular for voice and T-Mobile for INTERNET.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
My vote is Cingular. We went to Cingular GSM from the AT&T TDMA. We've had no problems with it traveling nationwide.

We also use $29.95/mon T-Mobile GPRS internet access. Speed is about the same as dial-in, but it works everywhere a T-Mobile phone works.

For use within AS, and in remote places, recommend Digital Antenna DA4000MR Dual Band Mobile Wireless Cellular Amplifier/Repeater. Makes a HUGE difference in remote areas. We have the omni-directional antenna, which is plenty for most places. We have also used a dual-band directional antenna, which gave us coverage in a remote location. I do believe several folks came over near our trailer to use our repeater. It is a bit pricy, but we move it from our house to the trailer. It works well since we live in rural area.

With the repeater, we get "5-bars" nearly everywhere - on both Cingular for voice and T-Mobile for INTERNET.

73/gus

Ya wanna guess guess why your T-Mobile get the "same" signal as your Cingular phone when Roaming?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Probably because they are the same GSM/GPRS network. I never roam on T-Mobile, and I never roam on Cingular.

We went to only cell-phones and reduced our phone bill by more than half.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Probably because they are the same GSM/GPRS network. I never roam on T-Mobile, and I never roam on Cingular.

We went to only cell-phones and reduced our phone bill by more than half.

73/gus

Yep. T-Mobile Roams off Cingular. We are the only compatible system to them.

Technically you do roam anytime you leave the home system. You just don't pay for it with the plan you have. Now When that T-Mobile and Cingular phones are in their home system I bet they may have different coverage. In the home market If T-Mobile has coverage they will not roam onto Cingulars system.

They just have it tagged with in the phone not to show its roaming because of your plan.

Before they closed my shop I had the equipment where I could reprogram and modify the tagging. I had one customer that couldn't get it though their thick skull they didn't have a nation plan just a region plan. He kept saying that he didn't know he was out of market when he got hit with roaming charges two states out of the region coverage of his plan trying to beat us on the roaming charges. Customer service sent him to me to check that the phone was tagged correctly. It was but I reprogrammed the tag to say. "WILL COST U EXTRA $" instead of Cingular Extended. As far as I know he quit trying to claim "he didn't know" after I did that.