Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #41
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
......... This may not be legal however; there are some absolutely ridiculous water regulations in the Denver Metro area.
Based on the pic there is something on the other side of the fence. Based on your profile you may be living in an urban setting.

Setting aside the viability of what you have done and whether it works or not.

It really becomes an issue when some one else contacts the regulatory agency. (Like the neighbor that came over to see how the restoration process is going on your trailer) Barney Fife shows up with a clip board and a cell phone that takes pics and you end up defending your self from several claims;

Improper waste disposal - no matter what comes out the pipe
Creating a waste disposal system with out a permit
Creating a permanent living facility with out a permit
And may be a few others

As pointed out above, if you are out in the county or hills/desert/ remote area no one is going to care. Change that to a populated urban setting and it doesn't matter if the substance is inert or toxic. That fact that you did it shows intent and Barney may be pi$$ed. (pun intended)

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have a "neighbor" who could not justify the cost of a septic tank on an out building so he came up with a novel idea. He could afford a rental on a ditch-witch at $45 per day for one day and the cost of the leaching pipe from Home Depot used for french drains - the ones made of black corrigated pipe and wrapped in styrofoam peanuts with cloth mesh. He ran a trench down slope and made the trench slope away from the structure for 200 feet and laid the pipe in that - calculations on volume were in the 100's of gallons per filling. Sandy soil and the rock placed around the pipe insured leaching of the "material". Total costs was under $250. Has worked for "him" for over 7 years. There's a nice long strip of very green grass on that side of "his" lawn.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I still say urine over your head on this one. Either urine or 'ur out.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Colorado , Colorado
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the spirited and sometimes helpful conversation.

I'd like to clarify a few things for those interested.

The trailer is not a full time residence. It is only a crash pad when needed. Something like the "man cave" that was mentioned in a previous comment.

I aim to be as environmentally conscious and neighborly as possible. I only use all natural/biodegradable cleaning products and my neighbors are aware of my setup.

The drain percolates approximately 15 gallons per hour.

The legality of the setup is important to me. I have no desire to break laws or codes. My understanding is that the trailer is completely legal as is, as long as it is not used as a primary residence and not stayed in for more than 30 consecutive days. I need to do more research on the drain. The recommendation came from a source that said it was ok as long as it was on private property. It seems to be working perfectly, but I understand that doesn't mean it's legal. (I will provide an update when I find a definitive answer on the legality)

Regarding the over arching question of whether to pee or not to pee - this is a much bigger question without a clear answer.

According to one poll of 1,000 women - 75% admit to peeing in the shower. Many do so more for environmental reasons than convenience as ~27% of household water is used to flush toilets. source - Peeing in the shower: Filthy or fine? - today > health - TODAY.com

The above aside, there are clearly plenty of people who object to the practice. I asked the question to the forum with regards to any potential concern to the trailer, not whether the practice was hygienic.

Of course you must aim for the drain, and remember - it's all pipes.

jpa
JoePaCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #45
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
A trailer hooked to an inground waste system starts to cross the lines as far as a permanent housing unit. The judge of that scenario will definately not be you and what you say your intent is or is not. Nor is it any of us here!

The judge of that situation would be local codes and laws if it is brought to the attention of the local regulating body. Then it comes down to Barney with the clip board I mean the inspector and lastly a judge in a court if you decide to go down that road.

As far as I am concerned: I don't care, I think it is brillant plumbing and what goes in the ground at your place (in my opinon) is your business and not mine.

With that said I have seen and heard of too many HOA and city code situations that just baffle me. Usually not in favor of the home owner. And many times it isn't aboput IF it works or is effective or helps anything, it's all about the written rule and which ruler gets to exercise their opinion. Good luck!

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Clancy Boy, I hope your "neighbors" leach pond is not too close to the Magnolia Brewery!
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
However you work this you're Number One with me!
HawkinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Joe, you are way ahead of your time! In fact you've got more going for your solution than all these goobermint paid scientists.......

These silly scientists
have to separate the pee from the poop. Your design's gott'um beat. I say patent it

"Should We Return The Nutrients In Our Pee Back To The Farm?"

Should We Return The Nutrients In Our Pee Back To The Farm? : The Salt : NPR
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Canton , Michigan
Seriously, though, I can't believe some of the "why would you need to?" responses I've read here. Must be nice. Since I passed 45 turns of the seasons, I often get the urge while showering, even though I just used the pottie minutes before.

I also have suspected 'Streamers might be a "proper" bunch, and have been relieved to have heard from some who would have no problem with how I fertilize my melon patch. Urine is mostly nitrogen, dontcha know...
HawkinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
What Is the Chemical Composition of Urine?
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Joe, you are way ahead of your time! In fact you've got more going for your solution than all these goobermint paid scientists.......

These silly scientists
have to separate the pee from the poop. Your design's gott'um beat. I say patent it

"Should We Return The Nutrients In Our Pee Back To The Farm?"

Should We Return The Nutrients In Our Pee Back To The Farm? : The Salt : NPR

This is a great article -- very interesting.
Around the Chesapeake and other waterways large commercial chicken farms contribute to algae blooms with their chicken poop run- off. I wonder If chicken nitrogen-laden poop could be better used as fertilizer?
But I digress from liquid to .... The solids.
Sorry
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
How about a better solution? Why not spend the afternoon and trench out a line to your basement and install a "dump station"? Then you could use the full facilities of your stream.
Maybe purchase one of those macerator type pumps. This way you can have full use of the facilities in your AS. You'll only have to drill a small hole in the homes exterior wall. Then connect the wee hose from macerator to a drain inside.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I don't think the question has been asked, why don't you just use toilet and black tank in the Airstream? You will just need to be careful to restrict the use.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Colorado , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I don't think the question has been asked, why don't you just use toilet and black tank in the Airstream? You will just need to be careful to restrict the use.
Thanks for the comments Dan. I don't plan on using the black water facilities on the trailer while parked at all. I'll save that business for when it's on the road and I have access to proper dumping facilities.

The gray water facilities are just a nice to have, but not required. There are bathroom and kitchen facilities in the house that are obviously what's used full time. I was just asking the question for when the trailer is used occasionally as a crash pad.
JoePaCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
My word of advice while peeing is, remember a fart is not always a fart .You can name your trailer ''yellow streamer''. Pee away my friend.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePaCO View Post
Thanks for the comments Dan. I don't plan on using the black water facilities on the trailer while parked at all. I'll save that business for when it's on the road and I have access to proper dumping facilities.

The gray water facilities are just a nice to have, but not required. There are bathroom and kitchen facilities in the house that are obviously what's used full time. I was just asking the question for when the trailer is used occasionally as a crash pad.
I guess I'm not clear on my point. Let me be less discreet!

If you don't put "solids" in the black tank and basically treat it as a gray tank, what's the difference?

You have a great trailer! If it were me, I would use it as designed. Using the shower as a urinal seem like it would be kind of disrespectful to her and is just begging for bad karma!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
This is a great stream! Us older guys often find that all that warm water triggers a natural reaction--maybe that is why my drain pan is all blue!

My first house was pretty rural, up on a hill and the leach field was about 25 feet above my neighbor's house and deck but never any problem, even with the mixed contents of a redwood septic tank.

Occasional use based on minimal urges pretty much tracks what many of us may do outdoors when needed: All's Well that Ends Well.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
My word of advice while peeing is, remember a fart is not always a fart .You can name your trailer ''yellow streamer''. Pee away my friend.
Well, you could have baggies handy, but at least you don't need to use a pee funnel.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If your neighbors don't care and are aware of the use, go for it. The only time I've heard of a problem was when it was too close to a shallow well pump. Does not appear to be the case here. Go for it. Remember CYA. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
I have a "neighbor" who could not justify the cost of a septic tank on an out building so he came up with a novel idea. He could afford a rental on a ditch-witch at $45 per day for one day and the cost of the leaching pipe from Home Depot used for french drains - the ones made of black corrigated pipe and wrapped in styrofoam peanuts with cloth mesh. He ran a trench down slope and made the trench slope away from the structure for 200 feet and laid the pipe in that - calculations on volume were in the 100's of gallons per filling. Sandy soil and the rock placed around the pipe insured leaching of the "material". Total costs was under $250. Has worked for "him" for over 7 years. There's a nice long strip of very green grass on that side of "his" lawn.
Should we dear ask what happened after 7 YEARS??

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote