Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
Trailer Trash Trez

1968 22' Safari
Rustic Pond , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius

I think that there are more and more people either doing now or getting ready to do it. Most people (us included) were suckered into the lifestyle of the establishment (mortgage, kids, 2 cars, both working, etc) and are now second guessing that decision.
VERY similar to our situation... I purchased condo right before wedding, file chapter 13 I believe (which ever one they don't have now), got back on our feet, great jobs, economy crashed, lost job, no jobs, condo went into foreclosure, so needed home for us & 2 dogs... downsizing like you would not believe! it's not going to be all daisy's & campfires... we have a lot of hard months ahead... TO THE STARTER OF POST~ good luck to you & the wife... stay strong & remember your in this together <3

Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
I had that same truck. Long wheel base quad cab. Would not want more than 500 lb tongue for it unless you upgrade the springs and maybe even air bags too. It was just too soft for any significant weight.

Good news is that both those are easy to do on that taco and lots of suppliers around so it should not be too expensive if you want to go that route.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrippin View Post
I had that same truck. Long wheel base quad cab. Would not want more than 500 lb tongue for it unless you upgrade the springs and maybe even air bags too. It was just too soft for any significant weight.

Good news is that both those are easy to do on that taco and lots of suppliers around so it should not be too expensive if you want to go that route.

That's encouraging to hear. Would you feel okay towing your 28' had you upgraded to bags on your taco?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Slip7, if you really feel good about your decision, then I say go for it and get your Airstream and F150. You only live once.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Open Road , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip7

That's encouraging to hear. Would you feel okay towing your 28' had you upgraded to bags on your taco?
Not for long distances. The tongue is 750 on ours plus the gear dogs and peeps r in the truck and everything in the trailer. Moving it empty would be okay but I would not want to travel like that. Older ones have lesser tongue weights so those might be options.

Problem isn't so much the suspension as the axle rating. I am not sure it is even half ton? Taco will take a beating but safety for that much weight behind you would be a concern for me.

Don't let that stop you from getting one if you are keeping it stationary moat of the time. You can upgrade either trailer or truck separately as needed if lifestyle changes. That's what we did and it worked out fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #34
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Slip7

Much good advice on this thread already so I'll only add things not already said or where I think extra emphasis is important.

To turn vacant property into a suitable location for camping requires development: driveway, well, septic, electric, perhaps an outbuilding. Development costs money and this particular type of development is nearly impossible to finance.

So you may wish to consider property that is already developed or partially developed for this kind of use, perhaps something with a dwelling that has been recently damaged beyond repair by one force of nature or another.

Or you may be best served by a seasonal or monthly campground rental.

Campground or land of your own, pay attention to commute differences and consider those in your plan since it can be difficult to find a location close enough to work, especially in a larger city like San Antonio.

If you're not planning to travel much in your trailer maybe you don't need a tow vehicle right away. Maybe your existing truck is good enough for a short, one-time tow at low speed, during daylight, in favorable weather. Some people in this situation have rented small U-Haul trucks which come with trailer hitches. Or a friend may help you out, or you can find someone to move it who is in the business of doing that.

The conventional wisdom is that you really should travel in RVs for short trips before seriously contemplating fulltiming. I think this is good advice and if you are new to RVs in general you might want to start with a rental or a friend's unit for a trip or two.

Also do realize that by today's standards Airstreams are among the smaller trailers. While size is not everything you do have to realize that you will not have room for anything much beyond what you use every day. I personally am energized by this and come back to my stick house wondering why I keep all the stuff that I have there but not everyone thinks that way.

In general I will leave the financial math to you except for saying that I would be very, very surprised if you conclude that what you are doing is, in the long run, cheaper than an apartment. Still it might be the right thing for you to do if your future plans involve travel in the Airstream or if your preference is to be in the Airstream rather than an apartment.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Wayward:
What is your feeling about using metal buildings for homes? The company that built our steel building also does homes? One more thing what do you feel about pex pipe radiant floor heating?
Brian
Radiant heat has many advantages IMO: comfortable, has thermal mass, you can generate heat when cheap (solar, nighttime rates, recovered) and store it in tanks, simpler equipment, can be zoned, many choices in fuel, doubles as domestic hot water, and easy to backup for off-grid or power outages. Some disadvantages is that is is slow to change temperature in the room, and leaks can be a PITA to find/fix.

If you are in a cool or cold climate it may make sense to build an insulated slab or "frost protected shallow foundation" with radiant heat.

You probably know the advantages to steel buildings already...but for residence I think some are: fast to construct, fewer subcontractors needed if in remote location, and known costs. Downside is limited choice in exterior styles and resale. If you are sticking to a simple footprint like steel, and depending on where you are building, concrete block on slab with a truss roof may provide similar advantages without the disadvantages. Depending on climate, using AAC block instead of conventional block would save you having to build framing on the interior side of the walls because they are structural blocks that also insulate.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The world has changed since the real estate market crashed, and 2Air makes some good points. Here are a few more. I'm not a realtor, but lots of my clients are. If you're upside down $40K - decide FINANCIALLY not emotionally. You expect (hope) that the prices will stabilize and recover over the next two years, but that is a gamble.

Short sale - hateful, but consider the money going into interest taxes and insurance. If you get out from under even if you have to file for reorganization, then you could buy a new house for a lot less than you would have paid 3-5 years ago. If you've just filed for reorganization, you can't do it again for 10(?) years - so creditors will lend you money.

2Air is absolutely right that you can't spend your way out of a financial hole.
I never imagined myself agreeing with this line of reasoning because I have always stood behind my debt, my word and my obligations, but I have to agree with considering options to walk.

I also never thought I would be saying what I am about to but..... the mortgage securities, mortgage "reform" and federal regulations/policies are rigged and corrupt. It does not take much reading to figure out that the taxpayer has been had. I cannot go into the details without getting banned from the forum but suffice to say honest homeowners were screwed and honest taxpayer & investor money was stolen over decades creating the mortgage mess, AND even more taxpayer money was stolen as the mortgage restructuring "bailout" funds all went to the same crooks, politicians and their cronies that caused the "crisis" in the first place

I do not blame anyone but us the voters for letting it happen but now that I know, I do not "intend to pretend". Put yourself first.
Raleigh, NC
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrippin View Post

One option that does not come up often enough in these "upgrade the TV vs keep the TV" discussions, is to just go ahead and get the trailer and tow it with what you've got for a while.

Contrary to what some may tell you Slip7, the world will not end if you decide to tow a 25' Airstream with a well setup Tacoma. You will learn a lot, maybe fine tune it into a perfect TV for your needs, or maybe decide to upgrade. It is part of the fun IMHO.
Raleigh, NC
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
I never imagined myself agreeing with this line of reasoning because I have always stood behind my debt, my word and my obligations, but I have to agree with considering options to walk.

I also never thought I would be saying what I am about to but..... the mortgage securities, mortgage "reform" and federal regulations/policies are rigged and corrupt. It does not take much reading to figure out that the taxpayer has been had. I cannot go into the details without getting banned from the forum but suffice to say honest homeowners were screwed and honest taxpayer & investor money was stolen over decades creating the mortgage mess, AND even more taxpayer money was stolen as the mortgage restructuring "bailout" funds all went to the same crooks, politicians and their cronies that caused the "crisis" in the first place

I do not blame anyone but us the voters for letting it happen but now that I know, I do not "intend to pretend". Put yourself first.
I also never imagined I'd consider options to walk. That's just not how I was raised. I'm not going to get into the conspiracy of the whole market scam. Let's just say it's not that hard to see the discrepancies but the common man is left powerless while good men do nothing. My bank advised me that if I short sale, I won't be eligible for another VA loan for two whole years. Oh noes...pfft.

I have been researching upgrading the Taco and it's comparatively cheap for what I need to do. I agree that it will do fine for getting it where it needs to go for now but not for regular traveling.

Someone mentioned finding a house on a plot that has the land space I want but the house could be bulldozed or renovated. I've actually found a couple that are in that exact position. They are closer to the city due to their age and two of them already have slabs poured for where the owners parked their RVs/Boats. hmmm....
Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
waynesboro , Virginia
Hey Slip, I have a 73AS, 25' and I tow with...an 05 Tacoma...the AS is around 4k dry, and even loaded I'm still under 80% of the Tacoma's towing capacity....The engine is the 3.4 with a 6sp manual, you may suffer some loss of power if you have an automatic....Use some common sense, get a good hitch set up and you will be successful...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Open Road , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
I cannot go into the details without getting banned from the forum
Really?! What a joke. I can see some issues as to why someone would be banned for being agressive or being a donkey! but explaining whey they want to move into an Airstream and travel the country/world/sit on a lot in the sticks with a stockpile of ammo is just backstory and lets us all offer our super valuable and expert opinions on whether an Airstream is suited for their needs.

Civilized discussion about any topic that is banned is ridiculous even if it's not exactly what someone wants people to discuss. Sorry but that's just my opinion. (Will I be banned now for speaking badly of the governance?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltero View Post
Hey Slip, I have a 73AS, 25' and I tow with...an 05 Tacoma...the AS is around 4k dry, and even loaded I'm still under 80% of the Tacoma's towing capacity....The engine is the 3.4 with a 6sp manual, you may suffer some loss of power if you have an automatic....Use some common sense, get a good hitch set up and you will be successful...
That just scares me. I didn't find specs on the 73 specifically since that isn't posted, but the 72 25 footers are 560-580lbs tongue dry. Add LPG and you're going to add another 30lbs to that. It might handle it, but the specs that say 500lbs. Now for sheer pulling weight, that seems like it's mostly due to engine and some chassis ratings. Our 4Runner for example is rated at 7300lbs with the V8 engine, and 5000lbs with the V6. The only difference between the two is the V8 has AWD which adds even more to the TV weight but a little up front. Can the V6 also pull 7000lbs? Probably although maybe not as fast. There's no difference in the frame or the hitch in either case.

Vertical stress vs pulling stress on the frame is quite different. It's hard to pull frames apart, but it's easy to damage them by pounding repeatedly in one spot.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
In Califorina your house should be small and your yard righteous!

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Slip7

I like Jammers comment about finding a home that maybe needs tons of work (for whatever reason), but this would give you all you need for your Airstream plus lots of storage for your stuff, plus possibly a good investment opportunity by fixing up the stick built home.

I also like the idea of buying the AS that you want now even if towing it with your Tacoma may not be ideal. Just tow slow and during daylight.

If you short sale, a 2 year wait for a VA loan does not seem that long.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Dan

Tags
fulltiming