Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_ View Post
The OP mentioned being somewhat concerned about the details of Internet access - though he has a friend that works from a boat, so he knows it’s viable. The two hardware items you might consider are a mobile hotspot (like a MIFI) and a mobile cellular booster. Just setup a monthly data plan on the MIFI, and use it in conjunction with the cell-booster - and you have what looks and feels like fast wireless inside the airstream (in many locations). Here’s a decent site with wireless info, gear reviews, etc: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/res...king-remotely/

Thank you. I have found the technomadia site that others have pointed out to be profoundly helpful. They are essentially doing exactly what I will be doing, and have ironed out many of the hurdles for me. I plan to get the jetpack setup and possibly the booster if needed.

Quote:
Some other points to consider: As a software engineer working all day from the AS, you’ll likely use a bit more power than the typical boondocker (external hard drives & monitor, churning through the laptop battery more often, there might be music playing, a router to power, and to keep temperature regulated: a dehumidifier/space-heater/fan/air conditioner running). For sustainable off-grid living, you’ll probably want to investigate the addition of solar + lion batteries as well as a generator for backup. All doable, it just adds to the initial startup costs. Info readily available on the forums for all these things and more.

I absolutely want to get solar. Not only because I'm a geek and think off-grid living sounds awesome, but also because of what you said. I want that freedom of not having to care as much about where I stay. If I have electricity and internet, my job will not be disturbed.

Quote:
You’re probably already familiar with how living full-time in an RV and traveling between different locations can complicate healthcare, state-residency, vehicle licensing, registration, inspections, receiving mail, etc. It’s worth reading some of the threads here where folks describe how they’ve dealt with these common problems.

I think what I may do is start out by trying to find a small handful of "home-base" locations to stay at rather than immediately exploring the U.S.. I've done a good deal of road-tripping and have some spots that I already feel comfortable in (most of maine in the summer, las vegas, austin, california in the winter). I am fortunate to have most of my mail set up electronically and will likely use my parent's house as my official address (at first), but I will have to figure something out for when I need to order stuff or be mailed stuff. I've heard you can do UPS Store mailboxes...

Quote:
Finally - even off-grid boondockers need to establish a regular cadence of packing up and towing into a civilized area. The size of your fresh/grey/black tanks may regulate how often you have to visit the dump station. Then, there is laundry. You’ll do it with a portable contraption while your out, save it up for a laundromat run, or a combination of both. Dump-station & laundry runs are additional time allocations that will be part of your permanent routine.

I saw a video of a guy using those portable washing machines... Pretty neat! I'd probably get one. I'm a (hate to say the word since it's overused) minimalist in a lot of ways so I shouldn't have much issue. I thru-hiked the appalachian trail in 2010 and the style of quick-dry clothes you wear for that is great for this as well.

Quote:
You seem to be approaching this very pragmatically, particularly with your openness to purchasing used - and balancing the debt-to-income ratio. As a former software engineer myself and someone who worked remotely for a few years, I only want to ask: what is your plan for ergonomic/comfortable seating/working in the airstream? A setup that won’t leave you feeling fatigued after 8+ hours?

Thank you! ...and good question. I'm hoping I'll be comfortable sitting inside the airstream to work, and if not, I'll figure out how to MAKE IT comfortable. I use a standup desk now so maybe I can configure something like that. I'm ultra-health conscious so I'm sure I'll be learning all kinds of ways to stay sharp while in a new smaller environment and perhaps with more non-perishable foods... I'm curious about certain things like, how long do the propane tanks last if you leave the fridge on 24/7 and cook on the stove daily?

If and when I buy the airstream, my sister said I could keep it at her house for as long as I want while I learn about it and live in it. So I'll have a safe training ground.

Quote:
Anyway, good luck - this sounds like a very workable plan.

Thank you again. Glad to hear I'm on the right track.
havesomejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
It’s a steel tube with an inch of insulation mostly designed for following fair weather. You want to avoid condensation.

I'll need to learn a lot about maintenance and care. I like to keep my belongings in good shape.

Quote:
You will not have a garbage disposal or a vent hood or a dishwasher or a washer and dryer like in a house.

I rarely have had these amenities in my past apartments. Except the vent hood, and I tend to cook a lot of smokey things, so I'll need to figure that out. I don't want a 24/7-bacon-scented trailer... or do I?

Quote:
How much will you spend feeding quarters into a laundry machine? How much propane will you use, and where will you go to get it? How much air condition will you need? Some people say that one AC is not enough.

I'm fine with the laundromat, but I am interested in learning how much propane I will go thru. I'm curious if I'll gravitate towards more expensive campsites, locations, or not. I really prefer routines, so I imagine I'll find a place that feels consistent and will stay as long as I can.

Quote:
Where will you stay while it’s in the shop? You need a tow vehicle.

Good question. Lots of good questions. There is a lot to consider. One other thing I've wondered is, if I ever have to fly to my work's main office, I'll need to keep my stuff somewhere. If you get a monthly pass at a campground, are you allowed to leave it there for a few days and go on a trip? I think I'm flexible and resilient enough that I can manage. If not, worst case scenario, I just go back to apartment life until I buy a house.

Quote:
On the other hand, you can go wherever you want whenever you want. You can eliminate airports and hotels. Owning an Airstream and traveling makes you a more worldly person. You won’t be disappointed in seeing what the USA and Canada has to offer.

I'm excited. I enjoy music festivals and I imagine I will go to them with an RV pass now!
havesomejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A few random answers:

1) Propane for cooking and hot water is in the "minor annoyance" category as far as costs are concerned. For heating .... not so much. Simple answer is to use electric for heat.

2) Every AS trailer I know of comes with a vent hood. Without that you set off the smoke alarm. Don't ask how I know ....

3) Home base stops: An awful lot of locations have rules about parking here or there, even if it's in a driveway. Stays for a couple of days can sometimes trigger nonsense. It is rare to find a place that does not get weird (rules wise) past 30 days.

4) For things like deliveries ... send them to the campground. It works fine. Mail can only be held for 30 days. Best to set up some sort of service for the mail. Let them forward it when you can.

5) Campgrounds really don't care if you are in the trailer or not. If you need to get to / from the airport, use Uber or a taxi or a shuttle or a neighbor or ....

6) If the trailer is in the shop there's Airbnb, or the Holiday Inn, or a neighbors, or a tent, or ....

7) Maintenance isn't just a matter of learning this or that. It's also a matter of time to do all the work. It's also a matter of tools and supplies. All that junk costs money (much of it is specialized) and it needs to get stored someplace.

8) If you are in a campground, you will have power. Solar will not be needed. If you are in a driveway, you can get more from an extension cord than solar will provide. Unless you plan on being west of the Mississippi (on BLM land), solar will not be a big help to you.

9) Gizmos like laundry machines take up space. If you are headed that direction, plan on more space in the trailer. There really isn't a lot of extra room, unless you buy bigger ....

A more profound question is new vs used. If used, just how used? Doing even minor work can take up weeks if you also have a full time job and other distractions. If the trailer is torn up, where will that be? Same issues as above about time limits. Also questions about finding all the space you might need. Doing work parked in the street has it's limits .... I have experience at that....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Uncle Bob is the metallurgist expert here. What the heck do I know? I drive an Interstate, and those are made of carbon fiber.

You do need to have mechanical skills and proficiency with tools to keep things working as intended. NEVER buy cheap tools. You probably want to keep 5 or 10k in an account for repairs or unforeseen circumstances.

The Interstate has a silly propane cooktop that I have never used; I think it’s more of an apocalypse feature. If I had my druthers, I would rather have a smooth countertop. The Interstate does have an exterior port to plug in a propane stove. If I were going to cook anything, this is what I would do. I do use the microwave often to heat up leftovers from restaurants and items from the grocery store.

Places like The Container Store have many useful items to help with decluttering such as containers for drawers which prevent things from piling up in the drawer.

You have to experiment with various equipment bags to keep tools or whatever in place, especially while driving. With the Interstate, it’s a game of inches and millimeters to effectively utilize the space without going crazy. It’s taken me two years to have gotten to where I am now with micro-organization. I find bags with multiple handles are preferred to bags with long straps. Long straps get hung up on things. I recently bought 2 Yeti small duffel bags which fit perfectly under the bed. Having removed the doors and hinges from under the bed, I can crawl under and easily and quickly grab either bag without anything getting snagged. On our recent trip to Yellowstone, I ran into temperatures ranging from just above freezing to over 100 degrees. I stashed my boots and jackets in the Yeti bags and only needed those items at elevation.

I don’t use anything scented in the RV which helps to keep odors out. I don’t cook any smelly foods. I’m very tedious about keeping the floors vacuumed. I’m a travel photographer, so there is a lot of stop and go and in and out. Tiny rocks get on the floor which need vacuuming daily. A Dyson V8 works pretty good while on the road.

I just spent about $1500 on Rupes polishing machines and am an in the process of doing a three step polishing process on my paint. I can use the machines on my cars, so the machines are an investment, but how often, and how much does it cost to polish out aluminum?

Two years ago, I bought a plastic portable washing machine, carried it with me on trips, and never used it. It’s about the size of a small shop vac and kind of works like a salad spinner. It costs about $100, and if I were living in the van, I would use it. On my six weeks on the road from Atlanta to Yellowstone and back, I did laundry twice and probably dropped $50 in quarters in machines. In my house, I can run my washer on delicate and then just hang items to dry. Will you be able to hang things in the RV? Since buying the RV and taking ten extended trips, I have learned to travel lightly. For instance, I try to wear only T-shirts and of a similar color to reduce having to separate laundry items. Less is more is definitely the axiom here.

I have an extended warranty on my Interstate, and I don’t believe I want an RV without one. It’s a rolling earthquake, and as solid as the Interstate is, it has some cheapness to it. I would have gladly paid thousands more to have some more solid components. Don’t get me wrong, I did my homework for two years before pulling the trigger, and I don’t believe I want any other brand except for maybe a Newmar.

If I were going to live in an Airstream trailer, I think I would go bigger as opposed to smaller. Being a photographer means carrying about 100 pounds of cameras and lenses and tripods in about 4 carry-on sized bags. At night, I have to zip everything up and stow it under the bed, in the cabinets, or in-between the seats. During the day, I open the bags and place them on the bed for easy access. The point I’m making is the luxury of space comes into play here. If you are working in the trailer, having ergonomic seating and a work station is paramount to not being fatigued and having to reposition every day. There are differences between our occupations, of, course, but space is a good thing.

If you are getting a loan, talk to your accountant about the different types of loans. You want to play the tax benefit game with a mortgage and not a personal loan.

For the Insurance, you want it to have Total Replacement Cost written in the policy.

I have 300 watts of solar on the roof. This runs the fridge, the Fantastic fan, the water pump and lights during the day. It also keeps the batteries charged. If you are not plugged in at night, you will kill your batteries in a very short time period. I never travel without my 2000 watt Yamaha generators, one in the winter, and two in the summer. If I get stuck without a plug in for the night, then I will park and run on gen power. If I were you, I would get an Inverter capable of running EVERYTHING with watts to spare. For your main plug in, get a Progressive Industries surge protector.

You want an electric heater and fan and probably something like an Austin Air air cleaner with a thick carbon canister to suck up dust and odors.

I use a lot of paper towels when on the road.

I have a Verizon Jetpack for Internet services.

You want to have good lighting while in the road. You want to have something like a Streamlight that will allow you to point a spot out of your driver’s seat window to be able to see where your parking space is at night. You will find that each campground is different with where utilities are located, where the dump is, and how the sites are numbered. One thing is universal, however, and that is there will be a picnic table too close for comfort when you are parking. I usually get out and drag it well out of the way and then back in. At night, it also helps to get out and place a light on the ground at the back and center of your spot. This beacon will help you back in more easily.

You want water filtration and a blue flexible water hose. You want spare hose parts for when something breaks. You want a wrench wide enough to open a white PVC dump cover. You want gloves when dumping.

I can go over more stuff, but I’m certain those with a lot of experience will chime in as well.

And you can see my travel photos on my Instagram feed at coasttocoastphotoatl.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
This will bring some further clarity to this discusion !
An old American Classic Movie called the Misfits staring Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable directed by Miller had in the dialog a reacuring phrase "Its beter than wages" ref to the abhorent freelance work they were undertaking. Within the last redeeming 60sec off the film in the desert in answere to Marilyn, Gable points and says "our home is under that star"
My covered wagon sorry I ment Airstream, thats often how it is or has become !
I hope this has been off help
Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
For what it's worth on RV size, whether you buy used or new: I had a 19' Bambi AS for 10 years. I was working full-time in an office so it was my weekender camper or perfect for the occasional 2-3 week vacation I would take out west. However, there were 2 or 3 weekender trips I took when it did nothing but pour rain and I found out that 19 feet (with 5-6 feet floor space taken up by the bed) to be very confining. When I came into the market for a post-retirement AS, I thought a lot about that, sat in quite a few differently-sized ASs with different configurations and finally decided on a 25' twin bed. The sense of spaciousness and extra storage and all the light made it the right choice for me. I feel like I'm in a small comfy condo. Originally I worried about towing the extra 6' but it has not been a problem.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Holmen , Wisconsin
Can I get somefeedback to my "master plan"

To the software engineer in Maine.
I am an aerospace engineer by training and have worked in project management, business development etc ( my engineer friends say - not a real engineer). We are now retired.

We have owned and used our 30 ft Airstream to travel in and live in part time for 12 years. We have owned and traveled in a NorthStar truck Camper for 6 of those 12 years and have had good experiences in both RV's.

As you may have found out by now, many RVers have strong opinions and believe they have found the " best way". So please take my input as "one data point" out of many.

If I were you I would buy a new or near new truck camper with NO SLIDES, and with a cassette toilet ( I have a preference for Northstar). I realize this is an Airstream forum and we own an Airstream, but I think a truck camper would be the best way for you to start your adventure. You can research truck campers by going to the Truck Camper Warehouse ( New Hampshire?) some place in the Northeast. ( for the truck, start with a reliable used diesel pickup with an 8 foot bed. Of course, if you can afford a new one - buy a new one.)

I would find a semi-permanent spot to park the rig in Maine during the summer and then boondock and stay in campgrounds in the south ( rather than AirBNB) during the winter. One of my Airstream friends told me 6 years ago - that I should join the SKP's/Escapees. I did. They are a fantastic organization ( in my opinion). I suggest you check the organization out. The have numerous reasonably priced campgrounds across the south, and have a very reliable mail forwarding service.

In conclusion, I would suggest you research the heck out of your dream before you " jump into it". Also ( this may sound like old school), but I would write my plan out in detail to make certain it all hangs together, before moving ahead. ( One other thought, the Truck Camper Magazine is an on line publication and a good source of info.)
firman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you go the MH / Camper route - you will either need to tow a "drive around" or every time you go someplace, your home goes with you. If you are hooked to this and that, getting up and going may not be a simple process.

======

If we are headed totally off into the weeds, for the same money as a used AS, you can get a very nice brand new 5th wheel. They aren't as long lived as an AS, but you have money still in the bank / smaller loan. One impact there is that the tow is fairly specialized.

For the same money as a new / larger trailer, there are class A motor homes. Yes you are into the "tow a ride" situation. You also have a ton more room for this and that. Like all the rest of this, you can buy them new or used at a variety of price levels.

Lots and lots of choices.
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Walter's Falls , Ontario
Your plan is what I tell most younger people that face the similar problems of staying afloat.

If you look at this as an investment, and put some time and money into tools and off-grid gear, you may find some success in this lifestyle that goes beyond your scope today.

I finished my 59 tradewind, by gutting it, new axles floor etc.. long story, but it presently is equipped for boondocking off grid. I have a compost toilet I made, essentially sawdust and a bucket under a cabinet I made [doesn't smell like you would imagine], a lithium battery system that charges from the tow vehicle [or solar], a small grizzly woodstove that heats [I am in Canada] and I built a nice bed etc. I use the trailer mainly for music production, but also for adventure.

If you take a fraction of the money you spend on rent, invest in off grid gear, and learn skills to get you there, you can do this for sure. You can even off shoot any rent money towards cell internet tethering. If it costs you $100 a month, so be it.

You can live anywhere and everywhere when off grid, or find a farm that will allow you to park and plug in next to a barn. I have a solar shower bag, and since my trailer doesn't have plumbing, I do everything kinda old school. But you get used to it. Its kinda like working for your self.

My website is thejawshop.com if you are interested in pics etc

once you start, the people will come. Airstreams attract nice folks and there is a level of trust that somehow comes with these things [in my experience].

I say go for it, you will at the very least have a tow-able second home.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #50

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Helena , Alabama
Greetings, havesomejoe!

I hope the Airstream owners will forgive me for poking in to offer a couple thoughts. I'm not a current owner, but my wife and I have lived and worked from our boat for the past few years, and we're in the early stages of our planning to buy an Airstream to facilitate our travel on the land.

In a nutshell...

- Whatever your thoughts are about the cost and time requirements for maintenance, double them. I was in the RV business (many years ago) and learned from that experience, as well as our life aboard ONWARD, that RVs are complex machines -- like little cities -- and it takes a good deal of effort to keep the systems up and running. Living in your trailer will help (machines like to be used) and Airstreams are particularly well made, but you'll still want to keep the inevitable breakdowns in mind.

- I'm not a tax accountant or any other type of expert in that area (nobody, I mean NOBODY can fully comprehend our tax laws), but as of 2017 you were still able to write off interest used for loans on RVs (and boats). However, I'm pretty certain that the amounts you're able to write off are going to be reduced starting with the 2018 tax year. Additionally, that Alternative Minimum Tax that somebody mentioned is digging deeper into the income brackets every year and if you get trapped by that, RV interest will not be deductible. For more: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...ence/L0kjn8r1C

- The mobile telephone and data issues can be a challenge sometimes, but as you've already seen in this thread, there are good ways to keep connected and things are getting better all the time. We've found the issues to be much less troublesome and the fixes to be less expensive or complex during our travel on the land than on the water, but you'll still need to deal with areas with poor to nonexistent coverage. Cell and wifi boosters coupled with high-limit mobile data plans will be your friends!

- Be bold and adventurous! If you're able to pull it off without bankrupting yourself or ruining relationships, go for it! Life's short.

- For encouragement and great information, check out the Schulte family at https://www.bumfuzzle.com/. They have traveled while working for well over a decade, mostly on boats, but also for a few years in an old motorhome (dig back in the archives about 2 years).

- Additionally, the folks at Less Junk, More Journey have some very informative real-world tips -- https://lessjunkmorejourney.com/.

Best wishes on your journey!

Onward...
- Guy
GuyEWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by havesomejoe View Post
That's awesome Kevin!

That's essentially what I'd be doing too. Slack, Hangouts, and the occasional push/pull to the git repo. A co-worker of mine lives on his sailboat with a Verizon MiFi and he never has any issues so I know it's possible. I was imagining if I got solar panels I could even do long sessions of cheap boondocking but I'm not sure I'm thinking it all through this early.
I did exactly what you are proposing. My house is in California, but worked in Phoenix, AZ for 10 years for a consulting engineering company and lived and worked in my 25' Safari. I used a MiFi for a while instead of "tethering" my phone, because of company server issues interfacing with my laptop and I couldn't talk to them while they were remotely connected to the laptop. When I went out on my own, I gave up the MiFi. I also suggest portable printers and scanners. Set your laptop up to connect to the RV TV and you can work propped up in bed using a WIFI keyboard and mouse. HDMI connections these days makes this a lot simpler to do.

A couple of things to consider about location. If you are going to be located in or near a large city, rents will be higher. Smaller satellite cities will be lower. Smaller RV parks, but nice, have lower rents. Example: In Mesa AZ (20 miles outside of Phoenix) I could get a nice site for around $350/ mo. (electric extra) or if you pay for a year (two payments) it was about $3,300/year or $275/mo.(plus electric). In the Coconino National Forest (about 100 miles north of Phoenix on HWY 17) you can boondock for free.(I believe you can stay in one place up to 90 days, this may have changed recently, and yes I could get a Verizon signal up there) So.....a lot depends upon how close you want to be to large cities and if not, how self reliant you are when things go wrong?
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
I will add my 2 cents about buying a used camper. Beware! Airstreams, like most trailers, develop leaks and you end up with rotten subfloors and rusted frames. Parts to repair an airstream cost considerably more than a similar item for a house. Rodents can get in the walls and chew the wiring. If you buy something that is more than 10 years old you may need a place to park and rebuild it. I have been working on my 1973 for 2 years. It's mostly done finally.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
Buy used and pay 💰
Jim m
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Littleton , Colorado
Master plan

Retired software engineer here.
Yes you can get boosters and figure out ways to stay connected (I haven’t done it, but have seen others work on the road).
If you are flexible (full hookups to boon docking, then you’ll be fine). I think the best app is ALLSTAYS and if you need to figure out cost then go with RVTripplanner web site - it will calculate gas, rent, time etc for any trip and any campground and you can make changes dynamically by just moving the route line. ‘Free camping’ is a web site that shows all free camping (not just over night stays). Dont worry about food and water (there is a walmart damn near where ever you go). Allstays will show you were laundry mats, rv service , Taco Bell, tire stores, dumpstations and more, lol.
You’ll have fun dont worry. It should be noted — the only time you need to double study something is when you cant reverse what you have done — that is not your case - you have many options to detour, re-route, re-work and plenty of time to start over if you need too. There are some apps and routes — “follow the sun” gives you a route and campground where you can stay in 70 deg weather all year. Get some good apps on weather too — most of your travel needs to account for weather. Weather underground, noaa, MyRadar, and weather are a couple I use. There are some critical points — keep good tires on your rig (under 5yo), keep up on axle bearing repack once a year, adjust brakes annually, get tire pressure monitor system, leveling blocks, trolly jack, torque socket wrench (for changing a flat). Check out ‘America’s mailbox’ on the net. You can get your domicile , vehicle Regis. And mail address , mail forward for cheap. Good luck
goodcardio4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I skimmed through the responses to your question so I might have missed a comment or three. Many of us Airstream folks are retired and have a lot of experience in a broad range of disciplines. Some of us missed out on attending the first grade lectures on civility but they are a very small percentage. The vast majority of the folks here will take the time to tell you what they know and if you are looking for a used Airstream some of us will actually check out the AS you are interested in and help you assess the trailer before you make a commitment. In your case, lobster tails are an acceptable form of gratuity.

We bought a 29' 1976 Airstream for $5000. I was actually looking for a 5 slant horse trailer with a small living space in the front but saw an Airstream that was placed in the wrong column. Since it looked like it was in good condition I took a chance and bought it. Over the past 11 years we have been living in it full time. What the Airstream has allowed us to do is stay in or near a National Park or wilderness area all year. In 2007 the trailer cost $5000. We have put maybe $10.000 more into it by buying new axles, putting on a set of awnings, replacing the air conditioner and a monster converter, upgrading the brakes, paint for the roof, polishing the exterior, etc. Lots of work but I know every inch of the rig.

My only real advice is to not buy a new Airstream - for any reason. They are not built as well as those from the '70s and '80s A new trailer will depreciate quickly where as a used AS can appreciate if you maintain them. Depending on the condition you bought one in they may require some work but you can do some things that make it far more useable than even the new trailers. Two of us can live in a 29' that has a full bath in the rear. If you are going to live in it full time you will want to get one that is over 22'.

If renting seems to be too expensive on a day to day basis ask the RV park manager for a list of their monthly rates. The one thing that allows us to be totally irresponsible is the used Thousand Trails Platinum membership we bought five years ago. Our membership allows us to stay in almost any part of the US and never pay rent or for electricity. Ours cost $1500 and we pay $500 a year for something (I do not remember what that money is used for). We call ahead and make a reservation. After we get to the campground we have full utilities.

Our tow vehicle is a Ford E350 van that is built on an aggressive 4X4 platform that is a Class B and equipped to go almost anywhere. The men want to check out the van but the women are always asking questions about our Airstream. If your Airstream is messy they may make an excuse to stop by and help you clean it up a bit. Safe travels.
Attached Images

Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
New Haven , Missouri
Have you checked into parks where you can buy your site
Silver Harr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
You’ve asked a combination question on whether you CAN do this along with if it’s a good idea as a young person building equity. Also, there was a comment about debt avoidance.

Something I wish I’d learned in the 80’s instead of the 00’s was that there are two kinds of debt: lifestyle and income producing. Properly done, student loans are. Income producing while home ownership is lifestyle. You can lose money on a college education just as you can make money on a home but for the vast majority, my descriptions above hold.

An Airstream is a wonderful lifestyle hobby that some people have also made into their homes. But they’ve done so by swapping rent or mortgage payments for equity/debt, a TV of some kind,
insurance costs and much higher maintenance costs than otherwise would be the case.

If you are trying to work towards owning real estate, focus on that. If you own a piece of land upon which you can park an old Travel trailer, then you only need to worry about installing septic, water and power. You work towards the home from the ground up; literally. I just came down from Maine and there are good parcels you can buy and add hookups for very reasonable amounts that can be rented out to other RV owners as an AirBnB when you aren’t there. I’d borrow money for this hard asset as it will appreciate as you do more upgrades. You can get the old Airstream TT cheap and if you leave it in place while it gets upgraded and lived in, later you can rent the AS along with the extra hookup pad and have double income. Do the same down south, keep adding sites and over time you’ll have a bunch of locations where you have “homes” and which generate income.

I’d happily rent a place in Maine near hiking and outdoor stuff so long as I had hookups and a clean place. Locate it well enough and it will support an internet connection for your use while there and monitoring when you aren’t.

Debt is a good thing. Other than student loans, we no longer have debtors prisons and you have your whole life to square away any mistakes you make early on. Harder when you hit 50.

Take risks now but remember, most families real wealth was made slowly through a combination of investment real estate and the magic of compounding interest/return on liquid securities. Buy fewer lifestyle necessities and focus on building the asset base that will produce income while you sleep.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Park City , Utah
Havesomejoe,

I also work in the software development industry and worked out of my 16’ Bambi Sport for 7 weeks while traveling from Utah through Western Canada and Alaska. Just got back a few days ago and my experience was amazing! Verizon unlimited data plan worked like a charm for me and I am using the same tools and in video/screen sharing calls much of the day. So that part shouldn’t be a problem at all. I also have a WeBoost cell phone booster installed which helps if you are on the cusp of a weak signal.

Boondocking off grid works ok for power (solar or generator (with extra gas cans), water (can drive to refill portable containers), propane, and internet but if you aren’t moving often, you’ll want to consider how to dump your tanks. Many places have a 14 day camping limit so if you can move every two weeks that should work.

Sounds like you are going about your master plan in a smart way by tapping into your resources. You probably won’t be saving money doing this vs renting/buying in your area but you may be saving your dream by choosing this lifestyle for a while! You should go for it!

-Kim

P.S. By the way, the person who commented about potential dates not impressed to hear you live in a trailer...well I’m a single female (probably a little old for you) but I’d be all about dating someone with that lifestyle.
ods_twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:52 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird73 View Post
I will add my 2 cents about buying a used camper. Beware! Airstreams, like most trailers, develop leaks and you end up with rotten subfloors and rusted frames. Parts to repair an airstream cost considerably more than a similar item for a house. Rodents can get in the walls and chew the wiring. If you buy something that is more than 10 years old you may need a place to park and rebuild it. I have been working on my 1973 for 2 years. It's mostly done finally.
you can buy used, be smarter than the trailer........had
great luck with vintage trailers, all 8 of them
here is my 25 yr old A?S..still kicking strong !! so Im not
sure about the word Beware, do you see and hear all the prob.
with the new ones, holy cr..
anyway, my 3 cents
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4313 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	318259  
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote