Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Ft. Myers , Florida
Calling All Fulltimers.. for advice

Hi All,

We are in the midst of a decision. We have a 5 year plan because I love to research and plan and my hubby loves to make sure that we can financially make happen what I plan.

We are planning to full time and trying to decide about the RV flavors out there. My folks started with a 23 ft. frolic before upgrading to a 31 ft Airstream. I believe it was a 67-ish international but both are gone so it is too late to get specifics.

We have narrowed the field to either a Class A with a toed or if we go the TT route, an older (but not super vintage) Airstream. We do enjoy a bit of demolition (destroyed the breakfast bar and designed and built an island) but not sure how much restoration work we are capable of yet.

We will have a limited budget as I currently am a teacher and he drives in county transit. As we get closer, we will know a bit more about budget but for now, we are wondering, " can you please share why you chose an airstream? (Especially if it is a pre-2000 one) Would you make the same choice if you were buying today having had it a few years now?

I can find lots of info about different types of RVs all over the net but little with respect to this is why I chose it, these are the pros and these are the cons.

Thanks in advance,

Sally and Kyle

Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
I am a hopeful 'some day' full timer and owner of a 2014 25' Airstream. But I feel as though I can add to the conversation as to why we chose Airstream.

I once lived, for about six months in an older SOB on 20 acres of land in Montana. The trailer worked fine for what we asked of it. Fast forward about 15 years and we decided on Airstream for our 'forever' trailer. Why? Because an Airstream will last nearly that long if cared for.

I believe in the philosophy of buying once, and buying right.

Other reasons for spending twice as much on a trailer as we could have with another brand are not quite as important, but were definitely factors. Airstreams are iconic, good ol' fashioned Americana. Not to mention that other brands just simply don't satisfy my personal tastes. Not by a long shot.

And lastly, and certainly a large factor, was the sense of community that you find with the brand. I enjoy the potential of meeting others and love, love, love all the help, wisdom and advice I have found here.

In my opinion, priceless.

Good luck in your decision, we spent about two years researching before we took the plunge. Do your homework and you will find the right path.

Happy trails.

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
We have our FIRST Airstream.. a 34' Excella, 1999 vintage.. Cost was reasonable..about half of a new SOB (Some Other Brand), square box plastic camper.

There have been 'expenses' to make it 'updated'... still, far short of the 'buy new SOB'. And, the depreciation hit is really low on this AS.

If possible... rent a couple SOBs... then rent an AS. YOUR personal decision is what is important..

Recently we pulled into a campground that did not allow 'old' trailers.... I invited them in to see the AS... and, they said.. "Sure.. please, come back, we love to see great trailers...."
Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Formerly MikeKey

Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalKy View Post
Hi All,

We are in the midst of a decision. We have a 5 year plan because I love to research and plan and my hubby loves to make sure that we can financially make happen what I plan.

We are planning to full time and trying to decide about the RV flavors out there. My folks started with a 23 ft. frolic before upgrading to a 31 ft Airstream. I believe it was a 67-ish international but both are gone so it is too late to get specifics.

We have narrowed the field to either a Class A with a toed or if we go the TT route, an older (but not super vintage) Airstream. We do enjoy a bit of demolition (destroyed the breakfast bar and designed and built an island) but not sure how much restoration work we are capable of yet.

We will have a limited budget as I currently am a teacher and he drives in county transit. As we get closer, we will know a bit more about budget but for now, we are wondering, " can you please share why you chose an airstream? (Especially if it is a pre-2000 one) Would you make the same choice if you were buying today having had it a few years now?

I can find lots of info about different types of RVs all over the net but little with respect to this is why I chose it, these are the pros and these are the cons.

Thanks in advance,

Sally and Kyle
Hi sunshine state neighbors!

My wife and I are planning on purchasing our first Airstream this fall after we settle on a tow vehicle and sell our current vehicles.

We've got several reasons for choosing Airstream, most are personal preferences, that can vary from person to person.

For us, we're young, I'm 32 and my wife is 29 and we have one child. I grew up spending summers with my grandfather in a TT camping. I know what TT's typically look like inside. And to be honest, all the wood, the floral prints, the lack of windows are a major turn off for us personally. It just feels like most TT's are designed for people in their 70's and not anyone who actually cares about aesthetics.

I'm not the kind of person who buys a car because it gets them from point A to point B. I own a 1980 Corvette Stingray because it's bold, brash and I love the curves. It doesn't handle like a new Corvette and it's certainly not as fast, but I love it's personality.

This can be hard to explain, but that's how I feel about the Airstreams.

The other reason is they are somewhat an American icon. Still hand crafted in the USA. Most TT's are still made in the US, but a lot are now importing wood, parts and other things from China. I feel like more of my money is staying here.

The American icon part is also a part of it. I'm a web developer by trade, and well I kind of plan on using my Airstream as part of changing my business and doing some tax write offs.

Riveted Labs, get it

Anyways, I had considered RV's earlier, but one of the things that came up is this, if your RV breaks down your home is broken down. And when your home is in the shop, where will you be? But if your tow vehicle breaks down, you can usually get a rental TV and you don't have to pay for a hotel.

BTW, I'm not looking to break the bank either. After nearly a year of research, I've found that life on the road fulltime is cheaper than our 2200sqft home and living in one place.

We believe we can live on the road for 2000 a month if not less.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
7 years into fulltiming.

I did it on impulse as much as anything else... The CCD (International trim) line just spoke to me. And the gaw-doffal interiors and crappacious quality of the square old boxes made me retch.

I'm happy full-timing. I've known a lot more people who've bailed out within 3 weeks to 6 months. And sadly I've also known more than one or two people who waited and waited, and then got very sick or died - either just prior to taking off for the big adventure - or within a few months after starting. Moral? Carpe Diem... Seize the day!

RENT AN RV for vacation THIS SUMMER. Use it for 2-4 weeks even if you park it at a local lake and spend nights and weekends there while working your jobs. If you decide you hate the lifestyle, find a new plan after giving yourselves a couple of big pats on the back for dodging the bullet.

If you love it, meet some Airstreamers at a Forum or WBCCI rally and ask if they'll show you around (showing off our Airstreams is a great thing for most Airstreamers.) Start looking for your dream Airstream now, (too many choices, too little time and money!) and buy one lottery ticket per week, just in case you fall in lust with one! LEARN. That way when the great deal drops in front of you you'll know it's right to go ahead.

Paula

Today is a gift,
that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote