Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Brand new and full of questions!

I bought a 1975 29' AS Land Yacht and moved right in. It was impulsive, but I have a good place to park it and it was the right time.

That said, I have lots of questions because this is all quite new. I've been reading the forums, which have answered a lot of my questions, but sometimes, because I'm so new, the answers go over my head!

First question: I'm plugged into electricity, a professional did the wiring, so that's all good/ Lights are working, a couple outlets aren't and the fridge isn't. Could that be a fuse? (My friend the electrician won't be back in town til Monday!).

Also, the battery-charger thing hums. That seems to be, from what I've read "normal." Is there a way to make it stop?

thanks!

C
ovrteakettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The outlets are not controlled by a fuse. They are protected by a circuit breaker in the main power box. Check and make sure that they are all switched to the on position. The refrigerator also plugs into a 120 volt outlet and may not be getting power either. You could try and run the refrigerator on propane until the power issue is resolved. It takes several hours for the refrigerator to start cooling regardless of which power source (electric or gas) is used.

The battery charger thing is most likely a Univolt converter. If it is original, it will hum and also cause your battery to overcharge, boil and die. If you will be plugged in most of the time, a modern 3 stage converter would be a good investment. I replaced mine with a InteliPower 9245. It's very quiet and will not damage your battery.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Hello in Eugene, Oregon

Welcome to the forums and catching the A/S Fever. You will find an excellent A/S dealer in Eugene. Gene Sutton is quite active in the RV industry and does all he can to stisfy his customers.

Good luck with your unit.

Bob
Member 4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR #28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Eugene , Oregon
Good to know!

Thanks! And good to know there's someone here in town who deals with Airstreams!

C
ovrteakettle is offline   Reply With Quote