Old 08-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Wannabe

Best yr/model for full timing

I,ve read a lot on this forum over the last couple of weeks and I'm learning a lot, but I have a question. Discounting the 2004's, is there a year and model of AS that is considered better for fulltiming than the others? I understand, for instance, that some of the 1980's trailers have more storage room than most others. Thanks for your opinions (in advance).
Al

Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
If you're moving around a lot, than I'd say 25 to 30 feet.
If you're stationary, then go as big as possible.
Bigger trailers have more storage, smaller trailers are more efficient to tow.
I am not sure that the 80's trailers had a storage advantage over other years.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
25' would be the smallest I'd even think about in my wildest dreams for fulltiming. I have one, and although spacious and roomy with lots of storage (25' C model), I could not see that coach as a perm home for long.

I'd agree with uwe, 25'-30' (with a leaning toward 30' slide out), but if more stationary, 34' would really be nice to full time in, though I know of one 34' Streamer that takes their 34' a bunch of places.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

It does say something about the Airstream when the question is seriously raised about full timing in a 20 + year old coach, and no one thinks it is particularly strange.

34' coaches are very popular with the caravan crowd which suggests they cannot be that bad to lug around. From what I can see, the major limitation is you don't always get to make a right turn when you want. Of considerable importance is the fact that you get more than 400 lbs of additional carrying capacity with the 34' over the 30 (current, non-slide models).

The 80's coaches on to the present are more like the latest Classic models than they are different. The biggest change, by far, was the change over to wide bodies in 1995 (maybe '94 for the Limited?). They are 6" wider.

Mark
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Smile

...........Hi friends . I don't own one yet but i'm definitely starting my search. I, also will be full timing, and would like to ask what is you're considered opinion(s) on full timing in fairly cold climate(s) like wyoming . Do the mid 90's hi-end models like a Limited hold their temperature(s) fairly well???? And , how well are they insulated , especially in the underbelly where the plumbing is run??? thanks for your help.. , r66
Old 08-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

If ya love Wyoming and who dosen't, and ya love Airstreams, and who dosen't, your gonna really love your Wyoming's propane companies tank refiller, your Airstream propane heater and your shrinking banking account. Other than that Wyoming in the winter? Your going to love it..............?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruce
... is there a year and model of AS that is considered better for fulltiming than the others?
Al
Al,

We were considering a 30' for fulltiming until we saw a 34'. The 34' has more storage and weight capacity.

We are parked at the Washington Land Yacht Harbor ... some of the folks here are fulltiming like us ... and most have the 34'.

Look for a model built after 1995 ... you'll get a wide body model ... much nicer.

Good luck in your search.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:04 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I found out I wanted better insulation and double-pane windows and will be upgrading.

That of course really depends on your climate. I don't think I would full-time in northern states in any RV, but places where it gets somewhat cold, like high 20's F, something with higher R-values is better.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:16 AM   #9
Craftsman

Better Insulation........ ? Since the Classics including the Limited use the same insulation as all the other models,do the newer Airstreams have any BETTER insulation than the older models (70's,80's or 90's) ?????

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto
I found out I wanted better insulation and double-pane windows and will be upgrading.

That of course really depends on your climate. I don't think I would full-time in northern states in any RV, but places where it gets somewhat cold, like high 20's F, something with higher R-values is better.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
There is only so much insulation you can put between the two skins. I have a 94 34' and we have stayed as long as two months in FL and 70 days on a caravan. I would look for a 95 or newer just because of the wide body. There is not that much difference in cost and not a lot of weight difference either.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Nothing less than a wide-body 34 for two people full-time.

Seriously.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #12

My Gig

Al,

I'm in the military and I move, at minimum, every 3-4 years. I've been full timing it now for over 11 years and loving every minute of. I have a 1989, 32' Land Yacht, and so far it's held up great. Airstream made a square RV for one year, a travel trailer & a 5th wheel model. I personally like the square model better, not only for its uniqueness, but for its practicality.

The round silver bullets are great, but they suck for practical storage. For example: You canít store a decent size square box in the cabinets in the ďsilver bulletĒ type. Of course the aerodynamics and the nostalgia isnít quite the same either, but itís still a quality cabin and will give you years of fun & service.

Most of all the repairs/replacements have been done myself, so a lot of money has been saved over the years. There is no polishing due to the painted aluminum sides. I had my roof line-xed which requires painting every 3-4 years, but thatís about the extent of the long term maintenance.

There is a lot of other tid bits that Iím sure youíve heard or will hear from you ad, however, if you like to talk about some of my other situations Iíve either had or is still going through, please feel free to drop me a line.

Al Venn

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruce
I,ve read a lot on this forum over the last couple of weeks and I'm learning a lot, but I have a question. Discounting the 2004's, is there a year and model of AS that is considered better for fulltiming than the others? I understand, for instance, that some of the 1980's trailers have more storage room than most others. Thanks for your opinions (in advance).
Al
Old 12-09-2004, 11:47 PM   #13

siir zigg fie haffek ya al hayawan al zagg
Old 12-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Are you from

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatzMaru fan
siir zigg fie haffek ya al hayawan al zagg
Are you from Turkey???