Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Wolcottville , Indiana
Banking

Hello,

We are preparing our "new" 34' 1997 Airstream Excella for full-timing. I have been researching banking on the road and also mail service (thinking of Escapees for mail service?)

I would like to know if any of you have advice or are particularly pleased with a bank for traveling or a mail service?

Thank you,

Melanie
melbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I would simply open a Credit Union account that is part of a shared network, so you can use ANY credit union that is a member...
Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi Melanie, we've been pleased with Escapees mail service.....several years now; very professional; no mistakes. And, if you are pleased with your bank(s), just change your address; no need to bank in Livingston, TX.....(I still bank in Missouri).
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Multiple Credit Cards and e-Banking too

I am risk manager for large credit union, and a number have relatively open membership rules.. Here would be my "tips"..

1. Shared branching is good, and usually allows access to multiple credit union branches.. Ours is +4500 branches nationwide beyond our 25...
2. Be sure they offer full electronic banking services, and should be without charge (electronic deposit from scanner, electroinic bill pay, electronic transfers, etc)
3. You should have more than one credit card in case fraud or theft shuts it down
4. Within credit union "Co-Op" network, there are no ATM fees and most take deposits remotely. Some CU's offer checking accounts that rebate any US ATM fees even at banks or other institutions...

With these, and a laptop and scanner you can do most banking from road.. (We did have member ask us when we'd offer "electronic cash withdrawals", and we had to explain that was not coming soon to his local inkjet printer..")

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We do all of our banking online. Just don't use any public WiFi. Anybody can monitor what you type & get your passwords out of thin air. WiFi is fine for e-mail & sending photos, Aiforums, & stuff like that. We use a Verizon Aircard for our privacy.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
We do all of our banking online. Just don't use any public WiFi. Anybody can monitor what you type & get your passwords out of thin air. WiFi is fine for e-mail & sending photos, Aiforums, & stuff like that. We use a Verizon Aircard for our privacy.

Ricky
A useful workaround for the public-wifi problem is having VPN service. I don't have any personal experience with the providers like witopia and surfbouncer, because I have a corporate VPN to use but I know the services exist. It's VERY difficult to compromise a VPN tunnel with a man-in-the-middle approach, I think the only ways it could be done would be to be providing the local router at the time the VPN tunnel was established and to be running some pretty high-end hacking tools, or to spend a LONG time monitoring an established VPN tunnel that was continuously operating. Odds are the bad guys would have neither the time nor the opportunity to make that worthwhile unless you're a REALLY attractive target.

The personal network cards are a great workaround as well, and make you less dependent on finding wifi when you need connectivity right NOW. Maybe when I have an Airstream of my own it'll be worthwhile to maintain one of those accounts.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are not full timers but are gone a couple of times a year for up to 12 weeks. We do all of our banking and receive statements online, staying with the hometown bank we have used for decades. Income is direct deposited, regularly recurring bills are automatically debited. No problems whatsoever. We have had a Verizon aircard 3+ years and wouldn't have anything else. We can stay wherever we choose, and don't have to look for good wi-fi in campgrounds, coffeehouses, etc.

We found out quickly that mail forwarded to rural areas could take up to 10 days Priority Mail, leaving us sitting for days in places we didn't want to be or driving back to pick up our mail. Be prepared for that.

We have heard from fellow travelers that Escapees mail-forwarding service is very reliable.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
SKP Mail

We use SKP mail and it is as reliable as you make it.we mostly plan to receive our mail via UPS or delivery to a local post office via general delivery...as with most things it is a matter of timing The other benefits of Escapees are great as well,...just recently stayed at their park in Congress, AZ. Nice park, convient and reasonable cost...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Friends: There's just no better bank in the world at supporting far-flung clients than USAA in San Antonio. And their online banking is so good, no accounting software is needed to categorize expenses and to budget. USAA has opened membership to those who served honorably in the armed forces or whose parents were members. Best wishes, John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
We just moved back from 3 yrs of living in one of the planet's most corrupt nation. We had a Wells Fargo PMA account, switched all of our bills to electronic billing, and used direct deposit. You can pay nearly any bill with their online bill pay, and they have an iPhone app to access your accounts through the built in 3G or edge coverage.

Only ever accessed account through VPN or 3G and never had a problem. Still use it with iPad & iPhone with no issues.

We used premium forwarding service from USPS. Worked well but probably not applicable since we did not move around.

Also had Internet cams set up in my house that I could monitor anywhere I had service.

The set up we had worked so well that no one had any idea that we were out of the country for the whole 3yrs.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Direct deposit, cash from debit card @ grocery stores, auto bill pay, and "live" in an UPS store. UPS will sign for packages, forwarding service, and considered a "real address" vs a POB.
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
My wife and I were on the road two years. We used our Son's address and he would fedex my mail to where we were camped. I use Bank of america's online bill pay to pay my bills and most of the bills come in the form of electronic bills which eliminates paper bills.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We have everything set up electronically through Wells Fargo and will probably stick with them, because the hassle of redoing all of our billpay just seems daunting, and they do have a lot of ATMs (at least in our current part of the country). Though, the fact that Chase allows you to deposit checks via iPhone is really, really tempting.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I see banks, including my own, with powerful mobile apps that allow mobile check depositing, account balances, account history, fund transfers, bill paying, ATM locators and allow insurance and investment transactions. The big question is, how safe is it to bank on a smart phone or an iPad?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have for nearly 4 years had all regularly-recurring bills direct paid through bill pay or automatic debit through our home bank, never a problem.

We do all banking and checking of credit card, etc., from our laptop and with portable and secure wireless broadband. Don't know about using a phone or IPad, but would think they would be less secure. ?

Wherever you have a signal, you can handle everything, check balances and for unauthorized use, etc. It makes traveling for extended periods much easier.

We are fortunate to have an adult son close by, who checks our house and to whom we have 1st class mail forwarded when we are away. We found that 2-3 day Priority Mail forwarding could take 8-10 days to Beulah, Wyoming, and other such places. If you move around, select a more metropolitan area to have mail forwarded and await it where you are comfortable if it takes an extra day or two.

Maggie

Just realized I have provided the same info twice. Sorry.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
I see banks, including my own, with powerful mobile apps that allow mobile check depositing. . .
Well, now, you've aroused my curiosity. How do you deposit a check from your smart phone? Do you take a picture of the check, and the bank accepts the image in lieu of the actual check?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Well, now, you've aroused my curiosity. How do you deposit a check from your smart phone? Do you take a picture of the check, and the bank accepts the image in lieu of the actual check?
It's just like scanning in a check only by taking a picture -- no postage, instant deposit. Gotta love it.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
It's just like scanning in a check only by taking a picture -- no postage, instant deposit. Gotta love it.
Wow. Guess I'm not ready for this 21st century stuff. (Altho I have been paying my bills online for years. . .)

Guess the next thing will be mobile cash printers! (Hey, if the Federal Reserve can print money, why can't we? )
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Wow. Guess I'm not ready for this 21st century stuff. (Altho I have been paying my bills online for years. . .)

Guess the next thing will be mobile cash printers! (Hey, if the Federal Reserve can print money, why can't we? )
The Federal Reserve prints Federal Reserve Notes. Read the top of any bill. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
We use UPS for mail forwarding since you get a real street address and they can sign for mail. Forwarding is by UPS, FedEx, USPS, overnight or standard we just send an e-mail giving directions for when, where and how to send.
We made sure we had met everyone face to face at the UPS office in case we had to call they knew who we were.

We use the same bank we have used for the past 25 years only now use on-line banking. For paper deposit we mail a check and never had a problem. We have personal service and their fees are less than the big banks.

Internet is via Verizon air card.

The only advice I would give is try to get it right 1st time trying to go through change of address with everyone can be a pain since some things only come once per year you are sure to miss a few notifications and you could be lost forever to those few.

Tags
mail service