Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
Are there any single full-timers?

Hi!

I just joined the forum and I am seriously considering full-timing. However, my current trailer is a Teardrop! Not conducive to the Full-Time Lifestyle, although nice for a week or so.

I am single, and I will be selling my house in the next year or so. I think a few years as a full-timer might be just the thing, and I have started reading up. One of the things I have noticed is that I haven't yet seen any posts that don't allude to a partner.

Are there single people doing this? Do you think a single woman in her late 50's would fit into the social scene at a park? Is a travel trailer even a good idea for a person on her own?
Kalamazookim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums Kalam.

You are a young woman that probably enjoys conversation. (most woman do) and I would think that travel alone would make for some long journeys.

If you plan on staying in one place, maybe a park model would suit your purpose and allow a close social connection to the park activities.

Like you recognize, most travelers already have a partner, and these females are usually very protective of what they have. (otherwise they would have been long gone! )

There are a few females that post here that may or maynot travel alone, and they might want to contact you with some experienced advice.

All I can advise is, if thats what you want to try, go for it. Life only goes around once and you are still young enough to learn new tricks.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I don't have a partner! I'm going to be living in my new (to me) Airstream on a remote ranch in northern New Mexico, but I wouldn't hesitate to travel alone. I worked and traveled all over Alaska and some lower 48 states when I was working in construction management. Didn't bother me a bit. I liked it. I worked on several cattle ranches in different states, too. Even though I was by myself sometimes, I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Certainly not for the lack of a man!

I'm not much of a club person. I think you would encounter the same single troubles as anywhere else. I'm 63 and it seems about the same as when I was 30. Haha. Some things never change I guess.

You will have a lot of fun!
Jane
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Please go to this Yahoo group and say hi to Hunter. I hope I do get booted off of here for referring you.
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Whoops forgot the link
AirstreamList : The original Airstream discussion list..
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have been freewheeling (single) fulltiming since 2005.

Every now and then it can get awkward - like the campground which made me get a bumpersticker that says "keep paddling, I hear banjos". Most of the time I meet nice people who are glad to know me, and every now and then help me when I have a problem.

I have a home campground where I spend a lot of time, and I'm the example to the non-towing wives.... "Look Honey, she tows that Airstream all over the place and you could learn to do it too."

Be more friendly to the wife than the husband when you meet couples. Simple.

You'll be as lonely or as companionable as you want to be. Make the effort.

Paula
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
There are all women travel groups. You could spend part of your time traveling with them. Then there is Sisters on the Fly, not full time, but a good amt of time!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to pull up our socks men. This is not good. Soon man will be like that old 8 track player that no one even remembers existed.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeinthemtns View Post
Even though I was by myself sometimes, I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Certainly not for the lack of a man!
Jane
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Yes there is a lot of single folks out there. Keep in mind that many over the age of 55 don't have a personal connection to forums like this. Just pick your camps and if you have a yucky feeling with one, move on. There is AS camps around the nation and seem to bring in the best of people!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
I am actively in the process of creating what you're talking about. I've thought about it for years, and now that I'm making it a reality, it's amazingly liberating. I can't wait. I know there will be challenges as a solo traveler, but I also know I'll meet more people than I would if I were traveling with a partner. I think you should go for it! Good luck. Annie
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
It is an awesome fact that you will meet so many more people when you are traveling alone than if you are traveling with either a male or female. Especially if you have a dog.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Single and loving it for 10 years now. Not yet fulltiming, but will do so single too.

Well, except for my dogs...

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to CapnTom
I know a lot of single women who travel and camp and are having a great time. Sister's on the Fly is a group you could look into and maybe contact a few of their members, (Peggy Guice-via FB). Here's a few you can check out; Sharon Pieniak The Silver Snail, via Facebook

Hunter Airstreamingypsy, via Facebook

There are many others not all in Airstreams but travel single...and they're others who have Airstreams that are not part of the Airforums or the WBCCI. Check out the TCT. I'm sure there will be somewhat of a learning curve but-Go For It!, you'll have a blast I'm sure.

My brother full times in his Airstream...he loves it. He has a home base in Cocoa Beach, FL but travels when he can...we just completed a 3 week trip along the Old Lincoln Hwy from Ohio to Nebraska in celebration of it's 100 Year Anniversary. Traveled 4100 miles and had a blast and saw a lot of rural America. BTW, we're both single. I don't full time tho.

Tom

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

CapnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Over the years, I've met quite a few folks traveling solo. (Usually meet more folks when I'm going solo than when 2-up ... folks just think you're occupied when you have someone else along.) Many were female, some male. When you're towing a trailer, and especially an Airstream, people just want to chat with you about the trailer, your experiences, how long you're on the road for, where you'll go next, etc.

Seemed to me that the ones who were the friendliest (of either gender) were also the ones who had some basic skills as to repair, etc. and so could talk intelligently about the experience. It IS different from living in a stick house ... there are downsides and lots of plusses as well - so ask lots of questions, read a lot here, and maybe drop in to a nearby rally to talk with folks who own Airstreams. You'll really learn a lot that way.

Good luck with your decision.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

I'm not a fulltimer.......

But thinking back about my times on the road, I do recall that windshield time at night felt desolate and lonely. I plan on part timing for long periods. I hear full timers talk about how great it is to go where you want to go, whenever you want. I think that I would still have to work around others peoples schedules, events, holidays, and family get togethers.
Music festivals are great places to meet people, and I think I will divide my time between that and sight seeing, exploring, driveway camping with family and friends, and just chilling at favorite spots. Campgrounds are not my thing, and I would only use them to recharge, or in a pinch.
My guess would be that there are more single men full timers than women. That could be a plus or a minus, depending on who you meet, and your frame of mind.
Yeah, a teardrop would be limiting. Moving up to a bigger trailer, and tow vehicle will mean even more research, and learning.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

but.......

I do know of some extended stay type campgrounds that have a community type atmosphere.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Male here and only been RVing in my new AS for about a month now. I have been to 5 RV parks and all were quite nice. Also new to pulling a trailer and I am getting more comfortable with that with every mile. Setting up to hit the road is also getting easier. Just a slight learning curve as with everything else. Back to your real question.....I don't see why a women could not do it. Not really that physically trying. The places that I have been so far have been quiet and friendly. Mostly older folks just out and about doing their thing.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
RVSue and her Canine Crew full-time in a Casita. I follow her blog. She is pretty much a loner, but has wonderful adventures, writes well and has a loyal readership.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
RV Sue would be a good read for a woman considering full-timing.

THere are also single RV clubs. I am aware of two. Loners on Wheels (Single RVers- Loners On Wheels - RV Singles) and another that I can't seem to recall right now. These can give you a bit more formal social contact than the casual encounters on the road.

This is my retirement plan, so I try and keep up on these things, though I will be the single man.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
I'm almost full-timing it and single. My job is over 100 miles away from my home. I live in my 1994 Excella 1000 at a wonderful RV park. During my stay I've met so many nice people.

Between my job, two Boston Terriers and trout fishing I am feel I have a full-filling life

I love living in my Airstream! Over the winter I will decide on whether to sell my home and full time it or not.

Good luck!
Softshell is offline   Reply With Quote