Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
Hey all, thought I'd stop in to post. I'm 33, and my husband and I (who is significantly older—I won't mention his age, but this seems to be a trend in this thread, too). We've been dreaming about doing this for about five years now, but circumstances have prevented us from doing so. Now, some unfortunate circumstances (namely the housing market and the job market) have put us in the fortunate position to finally take advantage of this dream we've been having. Let's just say, we're about to blow our perfect credit to smithereens in exchange for a full-timing airstream dream and freedom from an increasingly stressful situation.

I'm a freelance Art Director and Web Designer and Developer, so my transition into working while full-timing will be easy. My husband's experience lies in project management and executive assistance, so he's looking into Virtual Assistance and is also looking forward to just taking odd jobs, workamping, etc. He loves to meet people and wants to try out whatever's available (after working in a cube for years and years).

This is the week we've finally committed to searching out the airstream to buy. We're looking for a used International Signature Series 27'FB or 28'. We bought our tow vehicle about a month ago. So we're committed, and just getting all the ducks in a row to launch.

I've been obsessively researching this lifestyle for years. I've been lurking on these forums for a long time, but not posting much, just absorbing info. But, I've compiled a list of blogs from folks pulling off similar things to what we want to do. I'm posting it below in case it's helpful to anyone. I recognize a lot of people on this thread from my list!

Full-Timing Airstreamers
The Airstream Chronicles Continued › Photos, Tech Tips, Life 2.0, and more….all from an Airstream
Dreamstreamr Odyssey Chasing 75 Degrees
Dreamstreamr Odyssey | Chasing 75 Degrees
Livin' La Vida Trella! - Life on the Open Road with our Airstream
RamonaCreel.com - Cuz There's Too Much To Keep In My Head!
Aluminum Bliss
AIRSTREAM ADVENTURE
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips, and information for Airstream / RV travelers.
One young couple's Airstream International CCD travel trailer RV adventure
http://whereiskylenow.com/
Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog.
The Silver Snail :: fulltime location-independent RVer working, traveling and living in in an airstream trailer
Full Hook Ups (sometimes fulltimer)
Trans-Americas Airstream Road Trip (no longer full-timing)
Tin Can Travels (no longer full-timing)
Tour of America (no longer full-timing)

Other Young Full Timers (not in Airstreams)
Lost Soles and Randall Louis Hamilton's One Shoe Diaries
ForeverYoungRV.com » This blog chronicles the adventures of Bryan, Cat, Theodore Mittens, Charlie & Cocoa and now Miphy on their RV ‘Mr.Escalade’.
UnderAgedRVers (the originals, from what I can tell—no longer fulltiming)
BadgerTrek: Home
RV-Dreams Journal
Live Work Dream: Working to find the dream life on full-time RV sabbatical road trip
Hey, thanks for the mention! My wife and I run Weaselmouth.com (listed as "One young couple's Airstream International CCD travel trailer RV adventure" above). While we're not technically fulltimers yet, we plan on moving into our new 27fb early next year - January to be exact. We'll start out stationary due to my job, but our hope is to get on the road as soon as we can!

Everyone please feel free to stop by and check us out - while you're there, sign up for our newsletter and RSS feed. We have some really great things planned for Weaselmouth.com next year!
2012 Ford F-250 6.2L V8 Crew Cab
Follow us on Weaselmouth.com, Connect with us on facebook and twitter!
dekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Atfulldraw, I don't recall ever seeing that blog. Though I definitely haven't had my eyes out for the renovators— my husband and I are definitely not that industrious or handy!

dekew, glad to see another one of us here. I can't believe you're not already on my list. I distinctly remember your blog because I loved the design of it.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #43
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I'm 42. Purchased when I was 41.
By the time I have this Airstream paid off, I'll be retired and ready to roam the country.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I'm 42. Purchased when I was 41.
By the time I have this Airstream paid off, I'll be retired and ready to roam the country.

Shane

And you'll have a vintage Airstream! (well, hopefully it won't be that long)

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #45
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
And you'll have a vintage Airstream! (well, hopefully it won't be that long)

Rich the Viking

Yes!!!!

A mint one, no doubt.....

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Check out thesilversnail.com
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We purchased our used 2008 International Signature Series 27FB over the weekend! We have a lot of regular life stuff to wrap up over the next few months, but are excited to be on the road soon!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
You will have a great time. Don't loose sight of your dream.
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My wife and I are in the process of transitioning to full time and are both in our 30s. We've had the dream of a life on the road since we were in our early 20s and are now making it happen. We're never better as a couple or individuals than when we are on the road and are confident that the sacrifices we'll make to adopt this lifestyle will be nothing compared to all we'll gain.

We acquired our tow vehicle this summer and picked up our Airstream a little over a month ago. We'll be spending the month of January and some of February in Arizona escaping the snow and cold and shaking down the trailer, our gear and the overall experience. We plan to transition to full time in the next six to twelve months, mostly dependent on the sale or lease of our house. I'll be taking my job with me which provides a level of financial security. My wife will explore online opportunities as well as work camping. We'll see how long I can hold on to the corp gig. I'm sure it will be mine for as long as I want it, but not sure how long I'll be able to take it. Once on the road I'll start working on alternatives that afford more flexibility even if it means less financial stability.

We've had to overcome some challenges to make this work and know the experience won't be all pie and Sunday mornings. However, having beaten a near fatal illness I am acutely aware of how fragile life is and that you have to experience it while you can. I'm so excited about this transition as well as a little apprehensive. It instills confidence to know others are doing it and more will be joining us. I'll be updating more on the forums and will be starting a blog to chronicle the process and allow friends and family to follow the adventure.

Thanks for reading,
DK
Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The new America: IBM and others have announced that they intend to rid themselves of all permanent employees and only hire on a temporary basis, project-to-project. So here's your childrens' future as other corporations follow the example (evolutionary game theory: following the successful example):

Workers hopscotch across USA for temp checks

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1968 26' Overlander
Lost Angeles , California
My wife and I are in our mid-twenties and start full timing next week. We got rid of our hollywood hills condo, all of our furniture, 10 bags of clothes to good will, and just about anything we hadn't used in the last year. We hit the road on Tuesday headed for Texas from Kansas. My wife wants to start a blog, and as she is a photographer I'm sure it will be well documented as far as pictures go.

See ya on the road!
hartley1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartley1212 View Post
My wife and I are in our mid-twenties and start full timing next week. We got rid of our hollywood hills condo, all of our furniture, 10 bags of clothes to good will, and just about anything we hadn't used in the last year. We hit the road on Tuesday headed for Texas from Kansas. My wife wants to start a blog, and as she is a photographer I'm sure it will be well documented as far as pictures go.

See ya on the road!

Welcome to the forums, and more power to ya! There's so much to see and do and you are getting a 40 year headstart on most fulltimers.
Congrats on The Great Escape (from Hollywood)

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Princeton , Indiana
I am just now 41 and we intend, my wife and I, on being fulltimers by time I am 43, but I am a carpenter superintendent so traveling and working is more proffitable for me, and I already have a job traveling the rv is much beter than motel life I asure you. I intend to purchase an older sovoreign class 31 foot this spring and rebuild it this summer this has been my dream since I was young and the last child graduates next year. I think the hardest thing would be to try and raise children while traveling and this was the only reason we did not do it sooner. Family is the greatest thing to think of before you start. The winter is tough nomater what type you have we had a 32 foot bounder we stayed in for a few long periods and it was fun.
theelfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #54
and my trusty lab Helga

1965 17' Caravel
1985 32' Excella
Midland , South Dakota
I just wanna say i am 40 and my trusty lab is 4 and we have been happy on the road together for 3+ years. And Helga is happy i got her a bigger coach with a different floor plan to run around in.
handyman1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelfstar View Post
I am just now 41 and we intend, my wife and I, on being fulltimers by time I am 43, but I am a carpenter superintendent so traveling and working is more proffitable for me, and I already have a job traveling the rv is much beter than motel life I asure you. I intend to purchase an older sovoreign class 31 foot this spring and rebuild it this summer this has been my dream since I was young and the last child graduates next year. I think the hardest thing would be to try and raise children while traveling and this was the only reason we did not do it sooner. Family is the greatest thing to think of before you start. The winter is tough nomater what type you have we had a 32 foot bounder we stayed in for a few long periods and it was fun.
Look forward to all aspects of it as you care to post, both the renovation and the life on the road of working/camping.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I'm 33 and my wife is 28. We have been active members here since 2006 and owned 7 Airstreams! There is a small contingent of us that is growing here in the community.

Steve
Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #57
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Ditto to the Pill.

Im 42 also. Purchased when I was 41 also. I, too, hope to be retired by the time this is paid off, assuming of I can control my "2 Footitis" with ointment.
My wife is 37 btw.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

N/A , N/A
Thanks for the mention! I saw some hits to my blog (whereiskylenow.com) from your post. I have been full-timing it for a year and half now. Love it!
KDZLBZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
West Monroe , Louisiana
I just purchased a 1973 31ft Sovereign rear bath. I am planning to live in it full time. I even built a porch onto to it last week. I really do not know what sorts of problems I will run into, but I am looking forward to taking care of them when they arrive.

PS:I am 30 years old.
barender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Chicago , Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to Mr.E
De-mystifying the Mr.E one day at a time...

Mid 40's here... full-timing now since 06/09 and started with only my camp-gear out of the back of my 94 Ford Explorer. Now I'm in a '72 27' Overlander and am in the process of rehabbing her. I call her GRACE, for it is grace that brought her to me after an extended illness and a wonderful community back in Chicago that saw me through it and made it all possible. So, if you have a dream, you just need to bite the bullet and go. This is a beautiful country and no matter what your economic situation is, if it's in you, than it's in you and you just/must do it. In my case, I did all the dry-run stuff without all the extra stuff first. Now that I got the hang of all that, all the new stuff is not only a cinch, it's a pleasure! So, if you're inclined, you can read my blog-umentary my clicking my name and following the links. Go back a few pages to get to the beginning. And you'll see the rehab in process. Happy-Travels and Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3251.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	125426  

Sincerely,
Mr.E
'72 27' Ovrlndr
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tow Rig | Top | Question #2 »