Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
I fulltimed when I was 40 for 5 months. I think the hardest part was figuring out exactly what I needed. My 33' Argosy had more than ample room. The bad part was constantly learning how to deal with the moisture in temps in the teens 'F. I had learned to appreciate having a utility body truck full of tools since I was constantly fixing things (the ole girl isn't new ). I would suggest getting a long coach, possibly with a slideout in the living room area (the only thing I would change with mine). As mentioned, egos & 'tudes need a little space now and then. Plus, you will want something with a permanent bed as making up and taking down the bed every day is a major pain from what I've read here. Life changed and took me out of the camper, otherwise I'd still possibly be there

Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I sent you a PM with information of someone to contact.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Our journey begins today. We are excited to meet all of you on the road. This will be our second time giving the full-time gig a try. Oh yeah, I am 33 as of tomorrow and my wife turns 30 this year. Points for the younguns. What we lack in experience we make up for in enthusiasm and stupidity.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
Points for the younguns. What we lack in experience we make up for in enthusiasm and stupidity.
Love it! Good luck!
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #19
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I full timed in a 24' trailer from March of 2007 through march of 2010, The whole time I had a 100lb German Shepherd living with me, and I was eventually joined by my girlfriend the last year when we got together.

My trailer was not an AS, but it was livable, I made it work, the worst part of it was when my roof started leaking because the trailer I had was a cheap POS. But it got the job done for what I needed it to do.

I am 28 years old now, I was able to save a lot of money living in my trailer, and it was nice knowing at any time I needed to I could hook up the truck and go.

Towards the end it got to where I couldnt wait to get out of there, but it was because my El-Cheapo trailer was over 10 years old, and was rapidly falling apart. Had I had an airstream I could have easily stuck it out a lot longer.

I know next spring I am going to be purchasing an airstream and I am going to start to refurb it to get it ready to go out on the road.

I will also mention that I spent the better part of the prior 3 years to living in the camper, living in the sleeper of my Kenworth when I was trucking over the road, I think in 2005 I saw my house about 25 days, and in 2006 I sold my house and just went to full timing in the truck.

In 2007 when I sold my truck and trailer that is when I moved into my camper and moved to Texas.

One thing I will say is there is a ton out there to see, I have been to 47 states, 3 Canadian Provence and Mexico, I have literally seen over 1,000,000 miles pass under the hood of what ever I was driving, and I am still ready for more. In 2012 I am planning on driving all the way from Texas to Alaska and back, seeing everything I can along the way, hopefully being able to take 2 1/2 - 3 Months off of work to take the trip.

I am taking the experience of having full timed before, and I will be using that experience as I refurb my airstream to make it a really positive experience. Having the right setup will go a long ways towards allowing you to enjoy your travels. Done right you will be just as comfortable if not more comfortable in your trailer than you would be at home.

The thing I will warn you about is that the road can be a very cruel mistress, planning ahead goes a long ways, if you just get out there and wing it, you are setting yourself up for disaster and if the worst happens it will put you through hell.

Keeping up on top of your equipment is essential, and making sure you have money in the bank should an emergency arise is absolutely necessary. If your tow vehicle quits you in a bad area, you may not be able to get any towing service, and you may find yourself really getting raped by some less than honorable towing company to get your rig back to some place it can be fixed.

I can say this for a fact because I am in the towing business, I deal with it all the time where people do not do proper maintenance on their trailers, then they wonder why their wheels come off going down the road after the wheel bearings completely burn out.

I don't know how many times I have written some one a 500.00 tow bill over something that could have been prevented by less than a dollars worth of grease. As well if you lose a tire off your rig and it hits some one, you are liable.

Thus I say do it right, or not at all! Being a seasoned full timer if you have any questions, feel free to bounce them off of me and I will do my best to answer - Nick
Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #20
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Oh one more quick thing, I strongly recommend using the Verizon Wireless internet, I have had thier service since 2004, and it rocks, I have used it in 47 states, and they have by far superior coverage to anyone else. The biggest areas of no coverage are west Texas from the area about 40 miles west of Weatherford all the way to El Paso, and Kansas used to have no coverage, but I think since Verizon took over Alltel that has changed because they were huge in Kansas. The only other area that was bad for coverage was from Bismark ND to Billings Mt.And from Billings to spearfish SD both through Wyoming, or if you take Highway 212 through Broadus.

Oh and when you get your wireless modem, get the one that an external antenna can be plugged in to, it will make a huge difference because the metal skin on your Air Stream will cause interference with the signal, a roof mounted antenna will do wonders for your reception. I used an external in my KW and it made a huge difference in my ability to connect.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of good info and experience you are imparting here, MrBeast. Here's to you, for getting out there and doing what many only dream about.

Travel safe, and will look for you on the road.

Maggie
Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Not Airstreamers nor did they take their corporate life with them but they started FTing in their early 40s and are still on the road 4 years later. You may find some useful information here:
RV-Dreams Journal

Straw Cottage
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Lots of good info and experience you are imparting here, MrBeast. Here's to you, for getting out there and doing what many only dream about.

Travel safe, and will look for you on the road.

Maggie
Thank you, for the moment I am stationary in Corpus Christi Texas but if you ever get down this way feel free to stop by the shop and say hi.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
Points for the younguns. What we lack in experience we make up for in enthusiasm and stupidity.
Here Here! We will join you on that statement, if you make it to Ohio (cleveland area) give us a jingle and you are welcome to use our courtesy parking
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbiscuit View Post
Here Here! We will join you on that statement, if you make it to Ohio (cleveland area) give us a jingle and you are welcome to use our courtesy parking
What a notable gesture and thank you. So far it is hard to leave a beautiful Socal summer. Malibu blows my mind....and dings my board.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
it depends , changes frequently
I full-timed for a couple of years (2007-09) in my 20' Safari. I documented the trip at www.TheSilverSnail.com. After spending a winter back in Maine (in a house) and contemplating my options, I decided to hit the road again. I made some big improvements this time, though.
1) I got a Nissan Titan (previously had a Toyota 4Runner). Now I can do mountains. No more Hail Marys on long steep grades. And it has real tow mirrors! And a bench seat! Love it.
2) I packed my things that I couldn't bring with me into a small storage unit (previously I had subletted my furnished apartment). Everything is packed well and in neat boxes, so that when/if I want to stop and settle someplace, movers could easily get it and bring it to me, if I wanted.
3) I became a Florida resident. Florida does not have state income tax and does not charge Maine's insane excise tax on vehicles (and trailers) when you register them.

For income, I am a graphic designer (www.bluecatmedia.com) and none of my long-standing clients have had any problems with my decision. In fact, they all support me in it.

Because I'm solo and have a professional workload to manage, I have found that I don't love moving around so much when I have a heavy workload and I would rather stay in places for a month at a time. Monthly rates at commercial campgrounds are much more economical for full-hookup campsites, and it also gives me time to chill, work, and explore the area without feeling rushed and without having to break/setup camp so much. The bummer about that is sometimes a month feels too long, and often the commercial RV parks are not as nice as state parks or other public parks. The good thing about a month stay is that it gives me a real chance to get a feel for the place and not feel like a tourist.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Im 34 single with my dog.. and getting ready to go full time. Im a filmworker. Ive talked about doing this and have wanted to do it for years. I bought a 69 Safari this year, lived out of it for two months in remote areas of Utah while on a job.. a good test drive for the new life. Recently the Safari was totaled on the Oregon coast.. So sad. My house has been for sale for 9 months, and my insurance settlement for the Safari should come next week. Ive located a nice 71 Overlander, that I think will be just right for me and my dog. I plan to exist in Utah in the warmer months (if there is work) and travel south in search of work, and sun in the winter. Im excited for the material cleanse and the coming experiences. Thats what life is about.. For me. experiences.
Jason
Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
alameda , California
Hi everyone -

It is simply great that we are all in positions to make the full-time dream a reality. We are just starting our prep work before we hit the road around May of next year. We are currently greening the interior of our 2003 AS Safari and will be adding some solar and rain water harvesting before we hit the road. We love reading everyone's blogs and adventures. Take care.

Veggie powered 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
greenrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tow Rig | Top | Question #2 »