Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Anti-Hoarding/Paring down Stuff & Weight

I just got the new Eddie Bauer - replacing a Safari 25 FB SE with an almost identical layout - big differences? NO "L" shaped kitchen & NO storage compartments under the dinette/side couch. After the wreck while salvaging stuff from the old Airstream I discovered that while I thought I'd done a decent job of cleaning out unused things... much had multiplied in the past six years. Even though I threw out 20-30% of what I had, it was really just a start.

I predict a HUGE yard sale coming on. I'm sure you don't want a total list - but the KITCHEN stuff and the TOOLS are the major weight/space reductions. Do I really need a cake icing spatula or an egg beater - NO. Do I need special tools for my one non-stick skillet - YES, and they can work for the regular pans too. I will only get four place settings of Corelle and if anyone doesn't want to drink wine out of the coffee cups - they can bring their own flagons or begone!

I'm even getting rid of the torpedo level - I realized that I can judge fore and aft level with the bathroom door. Open it half way and if it doesn't move the rig is level. Close it to about 30 degrees and if it closes itself or opens back to 90 degrees, the left/right level is off. Seriously fill a cereal bowl with water and set it on the counter. If the water is level in the bowl, bingo.

I'm keeping two dutch ovens which may be overkill, but with a convection microwave they'll become my "conventional ovens".

The Salvation Army is about to luck out!

Paula
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
"The whole meaning of life is about finding a place to put your stuff..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

<SNIPPY>

...I discovered that while I thought I'd done a decent job of cleaning out unused things... much had multiplied in the past six years. Even though I threw out 20-30% of what I had, it was really just a start.

<SNIPPY>

I predict a HUGE yard sale coming on.

Paula
I understand completely.

We've been on the road for 13 years; the first five on two motorcycles, the following two on a moto/sidecar rig and since that with the truck (moto/sidecar on flatbed) and our 30' Classic.

We learned early on that one of our mantra's would be:

"Less is More"

We also learned that we had two enemies:

Space and Weight

We are constantly looking for things that will work better than that which we have. Also, when something does not perform as we think it should, it is outta here!

The good news for us was that we learned early on with the moto's that one does not NEED all the clothing that you think you do. NOBODY cares what you are wearing today; they most likely did not see you yesterday. And, do you really need to always wear one item one time before it gets laundered?

I realize that this is akin to a religious battle and for many the lifestyle we have chosen is something that they do not want to deal with simply because it is very different from living in a home that is attached to the earth permanently and provides much more opportunity to store "stuff".

I can never have this discussion without thinking about George Carlin and his famous routine about "stuff".

To paraphrase George, "The whole meaning of life is about finding a place to put your stuff." Or was is it about acquiring more stuff?

Any rate Paula, good luck with your quest...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Paula --- don't forget that the easiest way into a man's heart is by tickling his appetite with fresh icing on that home make double chocolate cake.

Dave

[QUOTE=Foiled Again;1324272
I predict a HUGE yard sale coming on. I'm sure you don't want a total list - but the KITCHEN stuff and the TOOLS are the major weight/space reductions. [I]Do I really need a cake icing spatula or an egg beater[/I] -
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Would you believe that icing spatula is an essential tool for geotechnical soil logging, and it's darn near impossible to find one if you don't know the store name. I suspect a scientific catalogue would have them somewhere. It helps you estimate the percentage of silts and clays, which you need for the proper name of that silty sand or sand with silt or sandy silt.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
while i have a 2' level i use a can on its side and see if it rolls. it works in any direction too!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Would you believe that icing spatula is an essential tool for geotechnical soil logging, and it's darn near impossible to find one if you don't know the store name. I suspect a scientific catalogue would have them somewhere. It helps you estimate the percentage of silts and clays, which you need for the proper name of that silty sand or sand with silt or sandy silt.
We use them for tooling sealant on metal wall flashings!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm not a full-timer, but space in my Interstate is even more limited than in a Bambi!

A few rules I live by:

1 - Stuff you only use outside doesn't need to be stored inside. Barbecue grill (Cobb Grill); patio mat, lawn chairs, bike, inflatable kayak, etc. can be stored on my hitch-mounted cargo tray or inside my toad (whichever is hitched to my Interstate for that trip). For trailer owners, store outside stuff inside the tow vehicle, not in the trailer.

2 - Anything that doesn't get used for two consecutive trips is something I can do without. Unless it's safety equipment, in which case, better to have it and not need it… For full-timers, that could be modified to, anything you don't use for a whole month is something you can do without.

3 - Don't carry more food than you need. You're never that far from a grocery store or farmer's market. In my case, I prefer to end the trip with no food at all left to unpack. For full-timers, there's no unpacking of food at the end of a trip— there's no end to the trip— but even so, you shouldn't need to carry more than a week's worth of food at a time. Side note, food is relatively light in weight on average (unless you only buy canned goods), but takes up a disproportionate amount of space that could be better used to store something else.

4 - All-purpose cleaning supplies are good. Cleaning supplies take up a lot of space relative to the number of hours they're used. Don't carry a vacuum if a broom and dustpan will do; Easy-off oven cleaner works on a lot of surfaces besides just ovens; etc.

These rules may not work for everybody; we all have different camping styles, so take them for what they're worth. Which like all opinions is about 2˘ worth.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Seriously fill a cereal bowl with water and set it on the counter. If the water is level in the bowl, bingo.
A shot glass with your favorite booze works equally well. When the booze is level, the trailer is, too. Then consume the contents of said shot glass and begin your time at the campground in style.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have iPhone?

Find "iHandy Level"... It is a free app.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have no tow vehicle and only use our hitch-hauler when taking firewood to rallies or when traveling with tent, sleeping bags, etc., with the grandkids.

That said, whatever fits and can be put away inside is all that goes with us. We have learned that the more room we have, the more "stuff" that tends to accumulate. Less room means less "stuff".

We are also always looking for ways to improve space-economy, which provide good excuses to look for and pick up new and better "stuff". Whatever is replaced or determined not necessary is disposed of asap.

If we are at home, rejects go in the current Goodwill bag. If we are on the road, we find a donation bin somewhere or, if a small item, we will offer it to someone or leave it in the laundry or common area at a campground with a "free to a good home" sticky on it.

Maggie.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A shot glass with your favorite booze works equally well. When the booze is level, the trailer is, too. Then consume the contents of said shot glass and begin your time at the campground in style.
I think we have a winner!

Now where did I put that 4 ounce "shot" glass....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I think we have a winner!

Now where did I put that 4 ounce "shot" glass....

Aaron
And best of all, after enough shot glasses, you won't care if the trailer's level or not!