Old 01-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

2009 34' Classic
Aurora , Illinois
Amenities

Has anyone installed a washer/dryer combo and a dishwasher drawer in their airstream travel trailer?These will be used for full timing.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Skaterio has the latter, plus commentary and pics in two threads in regards two of their trailers. I have the former and am looking to add the latter, but my TT is a Silver Streak.

Look for posts by master RV Tech Lewster on these.

Some associated questions are fresh water capacity, water pump capacity, accumulator, and water heater type plus capacity.

As has been mentioned in other threads regarding plumbing, the layout plan for all plumbing can take longer than re-plumbing the trailer itself.

I bring this up as I believe it best to consider the entire fresh water handling system. If there is the desire to add extra water filtration, or reverse osmosis, or a water softener, or outdoor shower, etc, try to have a plan which accommodates every feature to avoid work duplication in the future.

Once a plan is approved, one can do the componentry as is best.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Our Foretravel is plumbed for a washer and dryer, but we have decided that we'd rather have the closet space. I'm the dishwasher.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcookie View Post
Has anyone installed a washer/dryer combo and a dishwasher drawer in their airstream travel trailer?These will be used for full timing.
Welcome aboard!
If you are full timing, there are lots of 'washaterias' around. Most RV parks have them.

You can also do 'wash-n-fold' washaterias.. they will do your laundry by the pound...if you have better things to do...

You will pay for years of Washateria service for the cost of installing the appliances in your AS.
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Amenities

Based on my use both as a vacationer with two people; and, two, solo working full time in a blue collar job, about 2-4 years depending on installation cost plus a Splendide vented model. I'd say 2.5-yrs would cover it.

But it will take more time. And creates noise plus vibration. The convenience has a cost.

The W/D weighs about 120-lbs. Mine was a factory installed option and is directly across from reefer and furnace. Directly atop axles.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Livingston , Texas
I can't speak to the mechanics of installing a w/d or dishwasher--but I can speak to the wonderful simplicity of living without any of these appliances, full time on the road. There are two of us and, frankly, it takes 5 minutes to do a few dishes. I see no advantage to a dishwasher, especially considering the loss of space in the kitchen area. We looked into a portable w/d and it seemed like more of a pain than an advantage (small loads, so constant washing; noise and vibration). We do laundry every 10 days to 2 weeks (yes, we have extra towels and sheets, and don't dress too fancy), 2-4 loads at a time (including blankets, rugs). It takes the same amount of time to do 4 loads as 1. Mostly, we do these in campgrounds, a short walk from our site. No, I don't hover in the laundry room. If someone is so desperate to want my stuff--please take. (Okay, I'd be bummed, but since we've never had a problem, I won't fret in advance). I think having these appliances would also limit our ability to boondock or stay in wonderful campgrounds without full hookups. Before we went full time--literally plunging from a sticks-and-bricks (SAB) to our 27'FB International--with not much trailering in-between--we'd read and learned a lot from the forums. (Thanks everyone for posting helpful experiences). That being said, two things occur to me (and this, admittedly, is a little off-topic--so quit reading if you want): One, if you want to recreate all the "comforts" of a SAB on the road, don't go on the road full time. Two, you can actually have many of the comforts. I am thinking specifically of towels and showers. Yes, we ALWAYS have fluffy towels--no microfibers here. And while our showers are shorter (but not skimpy)--we've never run out of hot water, even when we're hooked up to a sewer and I'm not worried about filling up the gray tank. Well, that's my piece.

"It's a magical world, ol' buddy...Let's go exploring!" Calvin to Hobbs
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We just got back from our weekly laundry outing. Total time gone, including a stop at Wal-Mart, was about two hours. Travel time to/from town is about 30 minutes. We use the extra-large-capacity washer for most of the clothes and one of the large ones for the rest. If possible, we dry both loads in one huge dryer. Obviously, choices depend on what's available, but a front-loading washing machine in the laundromat can handle quite a load. We found that out from the owner of a laundromat. He told us to stuff (not pack) it until it is difficult to put more in. About 30 minutes for washing, a minute or two to move the clothes from washer to dryer, and another 30 minutes for drying. We usually pull some of the clothes from the dryer at about 20-25 minutes because they are dry then and start folding.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote