Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I also think a couple of disposable infant diapers are great. Multiple uses.
Disposable diapers are VERY useful for tow vehicle or generator oil changes. Place a diaper under the oil filter as the filter is being removed to catch drips, then set the filter upright on the diaper to drain. Use the diaper to mop up spilled oil, too. Liquid oil is considered hazardous waste, but oil soaked into a diaper is considered non-hazardous solid waste and can legally be tossed into any dumpster.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCanuck View Post
The local AS dealer service department recommends 120 psi in the 19' Bambi's so the 100 psi tire gage that was listed is about 20 psi short of this recommeded psi.
I only carry 100 psi in my semi tires.
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Maybe it was mentioned earlier and I missed it, but we also carry ant spray. On summer trips, we've found the ants soon find the rv tires and sometimes work their way into the rv. Spraying around the wheels and stabilizers helps keep them away. Greasy BBQ pits also helps attract them.

AirEgger
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
This Comes Closest to My Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I pretty much carry all of the listed items except only one bucket. I have an extra 25' of 30 amp cord in case the parking spot is a little too far. I also carry 2-50' 110 extensions and a "tire aide" in case I need to change a tire(now that I am about to replace my 15" ST to 16" LTX, I hope no more problems with tires).

Pap
I have used everything on the list plus:
Duct Tape
The Tire Aide
Torque Wrench
120 VAC outlet tester
Multi-meter
Cordless drill with adapter for BAL Jacks
Etc.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Great posts! And a great practical list for essentials. We use everything on the list except for the few items listed in "we do not carry" below.

We carry also:
1. a portable air compressor (110v since we have a small genset too);
2. both flares and reflectors;
3. 50amp and 15amp adapters
4. caulk and rescue tape
5. a 6' X 16' breathable area rug (doesn't kill grass)
6. awning tie-downs
7. WX radio

We do not carry:
1. quick-connect for water hoses, just never needed them
2. holding tank cleaners or deodorizers, we just dump when near-full
3. HD flasher relay, I agree it is a great idea and we are getting one
4. cross-type lug wrench, but we have ample means to loosen/tighten lug nuts

And we do not use:
1. stabilizing jacks, just don't need them (well, we did put them down three years ago in New Mexico for very high winds at our beam.)

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
One thing I am trying to figure out is which small compressor I need in the case of a nail in the tire or low tire pressure etc? I have right now one that plugs into a cig. lighter in the vehicle and pumps (slowly) but would not be enough to reach trailer tires....solutions? I think I can get a cig. lighter to batter connector adaptor and if legthy enough could work....thoughts?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have only had my trailer for a bit over a year, and I have just about everything on the list....and a whole lot more. I've even used the cool Airstream rivet kit a couple of times. Expensive, but when I needed it, I needed it! My Dad always had a set of tools when we traveled, and especially on our boat. I have a "Trailer Toolbox" with a complete range of sockets, end wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, VHB tape, elec tape. The bottom compartment has a mini grease gun. I would NEVER go anywhere without electrical stuff, and the basic tool -- a multi-tester! Being able to trace a circuit, find a short, check continuity. Oh, my toolbox weighs about 60 pounds. I've put around 16,000 miles on my rig already and have used most of my tools on a project or just fixing stuff. (And, the 18V Makita drill with a complete set of bits is also at the top of important tools!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
I use the one that plugs into a cigarette lighter with an extension cord. It is slow though but I use it to top off psi. It is rated at 300psi but I think it would take a while to get to that point.
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
One thing I am trying to figure out is which small compressor I need in the case of a nail in the tire or low tire pressure etc? I have right now one that plugs into a cig. lighter in the vehicle and pumps (slowly) but would not be enough to reach trailer tires....solutions? I think I can get a cig. lighter to batter connector adaptor and if legthy enough could work....thoughts?
PharmGeek
We added a 12vdc utility outlet in one of the rear cargo compartments so we can plug in a 12v extension cord for light or fan when we are sitting outside the trailer. Inexpensive, easy to wire in, easy to reach, out of the weather, and isn't ever in the way. It would power your 12v air compressor.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post

PharmGeek
We added a 12vdc utility outlet in one of the rear cargo compartments so we can plug in a 12v extension cord for light or fan when we are sitting outside the trailer. Inexpensive, easy to wire in, easy to reach, out of the weather, and isn't ever in the way. It would power your 12v air compressor.
I should have said too, we don't use a 12v compressor - our 120v one is slow enough with E-rated tires, a 12v one would take even longer. Just pull up a chair, open a beverage, and enjoy the time if you are adding more than 5pounds to a tire. Still, the 12vdc compressor will do in a pinch and is far faster than most road service arrival times.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post

PharmGeek
Perfect - that will be an easy solution then - pics and instructions would be great.

I'll consider that. As opposed to some form of very lengthy extension to trailer batteries or to some interior cigarette type outlet in trailer (assuming one is included in new AS - I would think they do)

Old 08-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_G View Post
I use the one that plugs into a cigarette lighter with an extension cord. It is slow though but I use it to top off psi. It is rated at 300psi but I think it would take a while to get to that point.
Yeah - this may be a basic quick option - especially if my trailer already has easy access to an outlet on exterior stock anyway

Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
WD-40 and silicone spray
Jackstand and 2x8 stackable lumber
Hedge clipper and/or limb saw
Second water hose backup
Separate black water flush hose
Drop pad or carpet
Spare Fluids(oil,brake,transmission)
Heavy duty trash bag(construction or compactor)
Axe
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Tools +Rivet Kit

[QUOTE=BAB;1334661]I have only had my trailer for a bit over a year, and I have just about everything on the list....and a whole lot more. I've even used the cool Airstream rivet kit a couple of times. Expensive, but when I needed it, I needed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rivet kit, now that is something I thought one may rarely need and what do you know , we put on a couple of thousand miles on road trips this year and lost 3 rivets on the lower front storage compartment hatch. We had the repair done at the dealer , but still long term. One really never has too many tools especially when your out between no where .
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Disposable rubber gloves when working with the slinky.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote