Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I look at it as getting a grip. I feel like the older I get the easier it is to "let go" of all the material things that just added stress in my life. My kids thing I am a little nuts and thats ok. I am no longer trying to "prove" myself. You have a wonderful opportunity at a fairly young age to start over. I wish you happiness and good travels!

The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
the winds have shifted...32 yrs old with a trailer twice my age...vintage '49 trailwind.

Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Great thing about Stream'n.....keeps 'ya young at heart.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA

My wife and I were 23 and 28 when we actually purchased our first airstream. After three years, we have had six of them. While we use them for travel and not for full time living, I have lived for a month at a time in our 29' Ambassador. Since I was by myself, I had plenty of room. I would suggest starting with a 27 foot front bed, and moving up from there if you need more space. The front beds are nice because when you enter the trailer you aren't right into the bed room living area, and the dinette can have great views when parked up to a lake or national forest.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
While you're looking you might want to consider the route we took. We (me, husband, 2 dogs) want to eventually full time, so we ordered a 31' Classic shell, had it shipped to Timeless Travel Trailers in Colorado, and they finished the inside to our specific design. We have lots of storage, a real queen bed, a large refrigerator, a large shower, etc. etc. We not only have exactly what we want, but we got rid of the things we didn't want (fixed dinnette, sofa bed, etc.)

It's an option.
Kelly & Matt
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
If I was buying brand new, I would seriously consider the 27FB Flying Cloud. I love the interiors, and I agree with what has already been said about the advantages of the front bedroom units. The International is a strong consideration as well.

I am 48 and my wife will be 50 this month. We really do love our 34' Excella, and feel we got much for the preowned dollar. We have noted many, many people in their 30's and 40's that have joined streaming this year. Not sure the whys for "younger" owners, but it sure seems to be a trend.

"I've got aluminum fever, and the only prescription, is more AIRSTREAM!!!"

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):

AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #21

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Size Matters

Hello divorced. I sure like the idea of that storage building. I would build it for the largest RV you can imagine owning. After all you may find yourself with a motorhome at some point and AS made some long ones.

Whether you choose large trailer (34') or small (something in the 20's) you really need to look around and ask many questions. The variety of floorplans offer plenty of options. Do you want storage? Do you want built-in dinette? Will you be entertaining? Is cooking high or low on the priority list? The more you look around the more you will realize what fits your needs.

I urge you to consider a used trailer. You'll save lots of money. New is nice but even with the discounts of up to 25% new trailers cost lots of money. You can sometimes find a nearly new (never or seldom used trailer) for quite a discount.

Regarding simplifying - The 3rd edition of Your Money Or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin has recently been released. This book has lots of great ideas for simplifying.

See Ya Down The Road.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Pricing: You can get a deal on left over '08 and '07 models on dealer lots. Colonial Airstream, the largest volume Airstream dealer in the country, has some left over '08's advertised at about 23% off of retail price. Looks like Arkansas Airstream has a left over '07 front bedroom 27' International at better than 20% off. Call around and using the dealer search tool on the Airstream website to see who is close to you.
Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I went through a divorce in 1987 and bought my first Airstream, a 1970 Safari 23' and lived in it full-time for a little less than a year. It's a great lifestyle. I paid a whopping $2,000 for mine back then. It was what I could afford. If you can afford a new one, find the one you like the best. Don't compromise... it's really less expensive to do it right the first time.

Good luck!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Today's younger people will probably buy ASs and other toys when they have the means to do so -- when they get older! Friends that think this is a drastic move for you may be secretly envious of your freedom and "less is more" lifestyle. Show them how it's done!
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bothell , Washington
Older? Nah...

Hubby's 51 and I'm 46...I know what you mean about the friends and family thinking you're nutso wanting and airstream and shedding the "STUFF." That's it... it's just stuff!

We purchased our 2007 International 27'FB Ocean Breeze in September 2007. Hubby's an electrical engineer and most of his jobs require that he live near the project site. So we purchased ours as a second home on wheels.

We've been living in ours off and on since April 2008. I think both of us are secretly wishing for being full-time in our unit. But we're not ready to take the plunge just yet... but if we could sell our condo, I think we'd do it in a heartbeat! Oh, and hubby's current project has been local... So we've been choosing the trailer over the condo for living quarters...LOL!

Best thing? When wanderlust strikes, you just pick up the bug feet, hitch it up and go... Beach, mountains, forest, desert... You name it...

It's amazing how you learn to live with less. My family thinks I've gone over the edge because I love our airstream so much. Hubby's family thinks it's cool. Just depends on your background, I guess. My family is the living on the golf course in a cluster mansion type... LOL!

Hubby hung out Air Forums for almost a year before taking the plunge.There is TONS of wisdom on these boards. So, welcome and hang out for a spell.

And most of all enjoy your new adventure!

Air # 20467
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #26
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
From reading other threads the consensus seems to be that the 25 to 30 foot models are best for travelling. Smaller if you like boondock camping, larger if you stick to the most modern camp sites.

There is really no reason you can't travel with the largest models especially as you indicate that you will not be travelling all the time. The extra room is nice to have.

Possibly the best course would be to visit an Airstream dealer and check out the different models.

As to how much of a discount you can get. In these days of starving car and RV dealers you should be able to negotiate a very good price. Though it seems kind of mean to try to squeeze them dry.
Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I'm 54 and my bride is 49. Over the past three years we have spent 17 months on the road so I guess we are half-timing. We have a 31' Sovereign which is plenty big for us so I suspect 27' would (as noted) be plenty for a single.

We are allergic to KOA's (and clones) and any campground that has "resort" in the name so we tend to be found at State/Natl Parks/Forests most of the time (although we do love those military RV parks). Our 31' is pushing it for many of these places (we have occasionally shrunk to 30' mystically) because the campgrounds were laid out when trailers were generally smaller.

If you do jump in, especially with a new unit, you will need to roll some pavement under it on a regular basis -- keeps the mind clear, the heart warm and all the running gera happy, happy, happy...

n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Great thing about Stream'n.....keeps 'ya young at heart.

I am 35, my wife is 36, and we have 3 and 6 year old boys. Airstreaming is a way for our family to get away from the rat race and enjoy each others company. We also get to meet some really nice people at campgrounds............IT'S GOOD!!

94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote