Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
My parents full timed in a 31' and later a 34' Airstream for almost 20 years. We are currently full timing in a 34' with a slide out. The slide out makes a big difference for us.

Anne Marie

darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member
Beaverton , Oregon
Thanks for feedback...

I have gotten more answers that I really hoped for.

Thank you for such a generous time spent helping me out. What a great community you guys have here!

I have a Tundra that can pull almost 11.000lbs, so I am thinking I can get into one of the older "30 maybe. The next problem I run into is that credit unions I have contacted normally only finance newer units.. which is a bit of a hassle..

Also, some of you suggested to renovate the Trailer inside!! How do you even go about doing that? Is there a store where you can buy furniture's and cabinets as they have in the new AS?

I have to be honest.. it was the interior that sold me on the newest airstreams.. not the outer shell.. It felt like a house, everything was just Quality!!

zuyzuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
newer trailers in the airstream line are wide bodies.wife and i felt the layout of the 31 was the best trailer for two people on an extended stay.i dont see a need for the slide with the right length trailer.we do not fulltime,and we usually have people with us and this coach that we currently have is perfect.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
My DH is 68 and I am 55. Full-timing for a year or so sounds very appealing to me but he is skittish. Maybe someday I'll convince him to sell this house, get on the road for awhile, then settle back down. Meantime, I'll read about all your adventures and live vicariously!
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #33
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake
Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Airstream Full-Timing

I think you will love full-timing in an Airstream based on everything you have said. I've been full-timing in my 34' 1998 Excella 1000 for two years and before that in a 37' fifth wheel for five years. I love the Airstream.

The 10 year old Airstream is less expensive to maintain than the brand new fifth wheel and you can easily live for $10,000 per year in comfort. Be sure to use a good hitch with anti-sway. Hard to beat a used Hensley Arrow hitch.

Secrets to a happy life:
- Live Small
- Save most of what you earn
- Be kind to everyone
- An attitude of Gratitude is incompatible with depression, anger, loneliness and every other negative emotion
- All in all, nothing beats livin' in aluminum!

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
From someone who works on campers

I work on campers of all makes and have owned 7 different ones over the years. Everything from pop ups to a huge high dollar, triaxle 5th wheel with 3 slide outs. Take it from someone who has worked on them all, the slide outs are nice for their room but are a lot of extra weight along with the extra maintenance and extra places to leak ( and they all will end up leaking at some point) Plus the problems of heating and cooling all that extra exposed area that is very poorly insulated make slide outs more trouble than they are worth. Also most other brand white boxes will have a rubber roof that WILL end up leaking and they DO take a LOT of extra maintenance to keep in good condition. If you can't do all of that maintenance yourself, full timing will be a nightmare with other brands. Remember full timing puts a LOT of extra wear on a camper that occasional camping doesn't. True even Airstreams need repaired and resealed at times but no were near what other brands need. You would be surprised at the poor workmanship and constant repairs that come with big dollar campers of ALL brands, but Airstreams in the long run are the most economical of them all. Do yourself a favor and get a good late model Airstream without slide outs and have it checked out by an independent qualified camper mechanic before buying and you will not go wrong.
"Shiny Aluminum Bodies will always turn a REAL man on"
Don't Let the Grass Grow under your Rig!
2004 GMC2500 HD Duramax~ 1987 Avion 30 P
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ours operates as an office, home and adventure maker. And even a few cats hanging out underneath where ever we are parked.
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #36
Silver Sneaker
2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Full timers in a 16

Yes, an 06 Bambi 16, full time (18 months so far, we're out for a year this time).

Paid for, tows very well with a very old truck (90 F-150), Parks in lots of places where others can't, "trapped" in the trailer just 3 days so far (got some catching up done on photo indexing and reading). We can get by each other very well, cleans quickly, and "forces" us to get outside. What's not to like?

We think small really is beautiful.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member
2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Elvie, hats off to you and your spouse/significant other for full-timing in a 16-foot Bambi. I like my husband a lot and we are cozy in the 19-footer but if we were full-timing in it, there would be blood.
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Minimize the "stuff".

Here is how we are looking at it... We have in fact thought kind of hard about getting rid of 30+ years of stuff, and hitting the road full time when ready. I think the "secret" is not that there is a secret. It comes down to you two as individules..

For instance, millions of adults ride bicycles. Thousands and thousands of them are "couples".. only a very few ride tandems. We do, some of our friends do, most can't. Not that they can't ride the bike, not that they can't get along. But because when you are out for a week or longer on a bicycle, exactly 2 feet apart, sleeping in a tent, doing 60 to 110 miles a day, in days of rain, days of wind, days of burning sun, and still talk to each other after, and not just about some percieved (or worse) slight that creeps into your mind because you KNOW she is not doing her part as you creep up some mountain at 4 miles an hour, for a couple hours..
you have a full time, in any conditions, relationship.

The trailer is moot, you will do fine no matter what.
See our blog here on how two RV/AS rookies tackle a 1979 Sovereign resto!!

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #39
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The only thing I can add to all these good points is the reminder that length isn't the only dimension that influences comfort.

I'm 5'17" tall, so my head has come to have several extra grooves in it from caressing the top of the main door opening, the bulkhead into the sleeping area, and the one into the 'loo. The one thing I envy my about neighbour's SOB is the wonderful headroom and extra high space afforded by having square corners at the ceiling. I don't have to walk around holding my head like a monk, staring at the floor in his TT.

Also, width: our '74 is long, (a 31-footer) but it's missing the extra what, six inches of width that the newer big models have. Now, I'm not convinced it would make a huge difference to have those six inches, but it might reduce the number of times I get to say "excuse me" every time I want to get past my wife while she's in the galley making a meal.

Someday (as soon as I win the lottery) I will get a 34-footer brand new or as close as possible.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
So Cal , California
We have a 2008 27FB Safari Classic. It is the PERFECT size in my opinion! For my 2 cents, get as much closet space as you can afford. We briefly full-timed in a 19ft, and let me just tell ‘ya, the clothes got a little out of hand. I also feel pop-outs are overrated. We have family with huge trailers or fifth wheels with pop outs and to me it’s more then what’s needed and it’s just one more thing that could break.

I couldn’t agree more with the comments about box trailers. We also own a toy hauler (for off road trips to the desert) and it is not aging well and the difference in quality and towing is huge. Now that we have owned a silver twinkie, we’ll never go back.

For those of you who full time in a 16-19ft AS, my hat is off to you.
~Mrs. B
“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
Mr&MrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
On our recent trip, we met a California couple who have been two years on the road, full timing in their T@B, along with two large dogs. Granted, they have made some modifications, adapting the space to fit their needs, but isn't that just amazing? They've been coast to coast, north to south, and we met them in Minnesota. They seemed happy and content, thrilled to share their experiences and show off their home on wheels, and obviously, able to enjoy outdoor living most of the time. I think they should write a book that tells the tales about this simplistic life style, and I hope to read it someday. Best wishes making your choice of AS and full timing. ~G
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member
Beaverton , Oregon
What I decided to do....

Hey Folks,

So this is what it ended with. I ended up getting a Komfort Resort "27 with deep slideout and GelCoat outside.. so not the typical white.

I agree with everyone in here about the airstreams.. Thats really what I wanted.

However, I was not able to get a financing for an older model.. I tried... so.. I decided to work towards getting an airstream in two years..

Thank you guys for all you shared.. a real inspiration.. Airstreams Rock! (except the new plastic toilets they started to install in a $60,000 unit)

zuyzuy is offline   Reply With Quote