Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
2006 19' International CCD
Indian Harbour Beach , Florida
I am living in a 2006 19' International and it works just fine. It has everything I NEED and nothing more. I am an outside kind of person so the trailer is simply a nice dry place to sleep, cook, and hide out during bad weather. Its just me, my small dog, and occasionally my girlfriend.

coylecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Compared to the houses we used to live in, they're ALL too small! And, every one of them has its advantages and disadvantages. So, at some point, the full-time RVer makes a conscious decision to just get happy, because the lifestyle is worth the compromises.

fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Winnipeg , Manitoba
I'm in a 30 footer, I used to have a white box trailer, it makes me sleep well at night now knowing I have bought a quality trailer that could truly last a life time if you wanted it too. Unlikely you could say the same about any white box trailer. Thats what made the decision easy for me. I feel solid and secure in my airstream, my old unit always just felt cheap.
Tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
2005 28' International CCD
25 footer vs larger

we have just begun our full time 70 ...a 2008 25fb safari se....two of us...two 35lb english we travel we view others' 34 footers or 30 footers or 28 footers and lust after the extra space...amazing how 15 or 20 square feet makes a difference... but all in all our 25 footer suits us just fine for the time being....our adventure is for reasons of seeing the country and trying to select a place to set down and build a house we are scratching the surface as we travel along and falling in love with the countryside where ever we i figure it will take three years to just cover the country, barely scratching the surface as we go....but having our 25ft house with us makes it fun.....

if one was to be stationary in an rv then at least a 34ft airstream would be the ticket.....

but to each ,his, or her, own
and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
FWIW, the previous owners of our 34' Excella (my in-laws) full-timed in it for about 10 years. This is the second 34' Airstream they owned. The first was involved in a wreck and totaled. They immediately replaced it with a new one which had the exact layout as the wrecked one.
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I agree: for most of us, anything less than 28' is below "critical mass" for full-time living; my current 25' has been satisfactory only because I tow it with a class-B, inside of which the wife spends most of her time (staring into her iphone)......why is it that women urge you to retire, then within a couple of years, start whining about "alone time"???
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
Personally, I could full time in a 24 footer. My wife... That's another story!
Bob Fowler

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #22
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
The Airstream is a great towing trailer but has less room inside than the big boxes. It also costs more money.

The extra cost may be worth it if you are full timing more so than someone who uses a trailer only on their 2 week vacation each year.

As you do a lot of towing, you will probably enjoy the towing an Airstream much more than a typical trailer. They draw easier and hug the road better especially in dicey conditions.

If you are considering a used 27' or larger, the bigger the better. The larger trailers are in less demand, so you can usually get the big ones for the same money as the smaller ones. You will need a suitable tow vehicle of course. This is what puts people off the big ones, they don't have a big enough tow vehicle and don't want to buy one. But if you are full timing it puts a different perspective on things.

Check out a few Airstreams in the 31 to 34 foot range and see if they will fill your needs.

Of course, it is up to you to decide what type trailer suits you the best. The Airstream made for travellers like yourself.
Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
My wife and I full-timed in a '72 Sovereign rear twin when I first got out of the Army for about six months. It was a very comfortable setup for the two of us and our overweight cat. However the thought of fulltiming in our '69 TradeWind makes me cringe.(I can almost hear the arguments now) 25' versus 31' is a big difference when the weather outside gets ugly and you're stuck indoors.Of course, the cramped floorplan of a rear bath vintage trailer isn't ideal unless you spend a lot of time on the throne. If I were going to do it long term, I'd find a good used 31 or 34 footer for about what a down payment on a new one would cost and use the extra that those monthly payments would cost to modify and remodel the AS to fit exactly what I wanted.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1980 31' Excella II
Davenport , Iowa
Send a message via Yahoo to MRHottinger Send a message via Skype™ to MRHottinger
My wife and I are just now considering the full timing thing. We are condering a 31' rear bead airstream as we did not like the idea of sleeping in the middle of the camper. We are buying am older one so we can make changes and update the interior to suit our needs. On a good note when we go camping with our friends the camper will already be packed. We have decided while we like the room a super slide will get us we like the thought of the dependability of what an AS will bring us. Some of our friends have had their box campers in for numerous repairs and some have been severe structure issues. Other have had a great experience with them. We have been disappointed with the quality of Jayco and don"t know if we want to roll that dice again.

Ultimately you just needs to get what makes you smile. It is tight living quarters and if you are able to smile you will have a good experience.
Good Luck, Mike
MRHottinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I fulltime in my 25' FB Safari. It is plenty big enough for me, but if my girl were to join me, we'd probably have issues.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Hi, We lived in and traveled North America in our 34ft Airstream for ten years fulltime. No pad,no home base,no house or land..just two of us and our truck and trailer. The best time of our lives.
forfulltimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Who Me?

Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

We have a solo Airstreamer fulltiming in a 25' FB and she lusts after a 27' FB. For longer term I still think my favorite larger recent Airstream is the fore-and-aft queen bed 27' FB or 28' Internationals. TV watching may be easier with the front door model. I'd not want the side-to-side queen bed versions for more steady occupancy. Just sayin'...
Hmm... I believe I resemble that remark.

OK Here goes. I'm probably going to make a move to my third Airstream in 7 years sometime next spring. Depends on the tax man to some extent.

My dream unit. 27 FB International with full awning set, no carpet in the bedroom and TWIN BEDS. (I'll be considering Ocean Breeze, Serenity and basic Internationals, but looking for gently used.)

Why Twins? First I'm single and 62 and if opportunity knocks then a way will be found... in the mean time the Twin set up has many advantages
  • two short closets over the foot of the twins as well as the big hall closet, a real boon if you fulltime and need a work wardrobe as I do
  • more open feel looking front to back
  • easy access to all of the underbed storage
  • ability to temporarily or permanently convert a twin to a dresser, computer work station, desk, sewing table, etc... and still have a bed to sleep in.
  • Twin beds are easy to make
  • Think of bedroom as a day lounge - you and girlfriends can play poker while guys are watching Deadliest Catch in the living room.
The pantry in the 27FB is great especially when compared to the 25. I'll probably also opt for the Convection/Microwave oven as I do my real "Oven" cooking using a Dutch Oven. My current gas oven is a glorified pan storage unit. The Lobster bowl sink means there's a few precious inches more counter space. I had a lobster bowl in my first A/S and it does encourage you to always wash, rinse and dry your dishes and put them away. It's too easy to have a drip pan in the 2nd sink and use it to store washed plates, etc. Looks messy. (Note to self, throw away drip pan.).

Can two people full time in a 27 (which is the same length as the 28, just a different layout... go figure). Seriously? I met a couple who had spent the last 25 months in a CASITA... and had fulltimed in a yacht before that.

It all depends on the people. A large part depends on your ability to RESIST STUFF. I also think having two separate areas helps enormously. Back again to the twin beds... in either the 25 or the 27 the queen IS the ROOM. Twins make the bedroom a place for more than just sleeping.

And BTW, Colonial Airstream has a used 27 Classic with twins and full awnings. Some noticible dings, but reasonable price.... Have at it.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master
The wife and I fulltiming in a 25' Classic. Great size.

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote