Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebill53 View Post
Shade sails? Can you explain that a bit more. I have considered military style camo covers. They use it to hide big guns etc but they provide great shade. Bulky but manageable.

I agree, I love shade sails and would love to know how those of you that use them are setting them up. We live in Florida and could sure use the extra shade!

Laura & Tom

Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
When I lived in arctic Alaska, locals used aluminum foil and scotch tape to block out 100% of sun from entering windows. I realize an Airstream with aluminum windows would be, well, shiny. But if you have a few lower priority windows, this would be a cheap experiment. $5. You remind me why everyone I've talked with recently says to get two AC units when we buy our Airstream. The older I get, 42, the less I enjoy the heat of summer. One of many reasons we want a camper.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:16 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Reflectix for the windows.

Charcoal fabric on outer side and complementary interior color for that side. Super 33 aerosol and some staples. Or UV resistant garden shade cloth.

Avoids the ghetto look.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I think they are talking about the triangular shaped nylon sun shades available at camping outlets.
I just looked, Target carries them.
Just Google "sun shade sail"
They are what I will get for my Airstream when it is completed.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Shade sails can be purchased at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IOT...110_SY165_QL70

Different colors and sizes are available, and they are relatively inexpensive. They fold up compactly. We figure out how the sun will be traveling across the sky and place the shade sails (3 of them) strategically to block the sun fron the side(s) of our AS. How many you need will depend on the size of your AS. We attach a corner of each shade sail to the top of our Basecamp, then bring remaining two corners of each shade sail out and down to the ground (about a 45-degree angle) and secure with bungees and lightweight stakes. Shade sails are water and wind permeable, so breezes and rain are not a problem. If you color-coordinate, they even look cool!
Old 08-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Basecamper, how are you attaching it to the top of your basecamp and is your basecamp an Airstream? Thanks!

Laura & Tom
Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Yes, the Basecamp is an Airstream made from 2007-2009. It is different from a traditional Airstream. It has bars on the top, so that is what we attach the shade sails to (with bungees). With a traditional Airstream, you'll have to take a look at what is on top, then figure out some way to attach the shade sails. (Would cargo straps across the top work?. I am unfamiliar with what the top of a traditional Airstram looks like.)
Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Thanks basecamper! I understand! This sounds like a job for my husband to figure out!! LOL!

Laura & Tom
Old 08-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I found this video online (I may have seen a link to the video in AF?). Anyhow.....at the end of the video there is an idea on how sun sails could be attached to the awning rail on the street side. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my todo list.

http://youtu.be/RBtV1RtimzE

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
67 Globetrotter

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I found this video online (I may have seen a link to the video in AF?). Anyhow.....at the end of the video there is an idea on how sun sails could be attached to the awning rail on the street side. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my todo list.

http://youtu.be/RBtV1RtimzE

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
that was me who found it �� I would love to see pics if anyone has. I'm not there yet but I did purchase three since they're so inexpensive. I plan to make little slides like in video and run in the awning channel. I'm dying to see a picture of them in use though. ...
Old 08-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
anything you do on the outside of your windows will be about 90% more effective than anything you do inside. Putting aluminum foil over windows in direct sunlight - might be ugly, but if you put a thermometer inside in the sun, then block the sunlight, you will probably see the inside temp. go down 20 degrees. Natural shade is great if you can find it.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Yes! It's not just the windows that cause the heat gain, so it's important to shade the the "shell," as well. Having air space and air movement between the Airsteam and the shade sails is important; hence, the angles outward to the ground from the points of attachment on the AS. (You have that same dynamic with naural shade.) I will take photos the next time we use our shade sails.