Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Craftsman

Airstream Living Fulltime?

Anyone out there in Airstream land besides Porky Pig actually living in their Airstream? Since most fulltimers seem to choose 5th wheels with a multitude of slideouts, I'm wonder what it would really be like to live in the silver tube. When the book "Airstream Living" came out I really thought it would answer some of these questions but it turned out to be more in the line of Airstream eye candy. There's now a Yahoo website for Fulltiming in Airstreams but very few posts and no real information yet. Since this is something that I know that at least a few Airstreamers would like to do, why is there so little information?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Anyone out there in Airstream land besides Porky Pig actually living in their Airstream? Since most fulltimers seem to choose 5th wheels with a multitude of slideouts, I'm wonder what it would really be like to live in the silver tube. When the book "Airstream Living" came out I really thought it would answer some of these questions but it turned out to be more in the line of Airstream eye candy. There's now a Yahoo website for Fulltiming in Airstreams but very few posts and no real information yet. Since this is something that I know that at least a few Airstreamers would like to do, why is there so little information?
Craftsman,

Don't know about this forum, but there are fulltimers on both the Vintage Airstream List and Hunter's Yahoo Airstream list, including Hunter.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I know a few people that have done so, and if things continue the way they are, we will be living in our Overlander for 2-3 months if and when we move further North.
One reason there isn't a whole lot of info, is the people who full-time are usually folks that eschew things like computers and cell phones (the things we here almost have to have), and would have no way to post information, even if they wanted to take time away from full-timing to do so.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Plus, don't forget our own Rich Luhr (rluhr) and family, publisher of "Airstream Life" magazine. They are currenty full-timing, and writing about it. Check the "Tour of America" website. http://tour.airstreamlife.com/?page=home

Lots of us here are full-timing vicariously through them. or, at least I know I am.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Forgot about GunnyUSMC, he fulltimes with a base in Austin, TX.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

As I just wrote in the winter living thread, I'm squatting, not so much as full-timing. There's a few of us out there, but I for one am pretty spotty about checking this site. Been in the trailer since beginning of August, so far so good.
Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I stayed in mine for 4 months down here in Florida, before my house in Ohio sold. It was just me and my little Jack Russell terrier. Was nice and I enjoyed it as did Cali, my dog. She loved going for walks around the campground every hour looking for squirrels. When the house finally sold, the wife and her dog joined us for a week, before we closed on the new house. It got kind of crowded then, wished we had a 34' with a slideout at that time.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Full timed for 3 plus years

I full timed for 3 years or so. I was in a 1985 34' Limited, single at that time, or used it as a recalled to Active Duty with the Marines as a home away from home. PM me with your questions, and I will get back to you.

Rob

www.theVAP.com
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Great couple

We met this couple on our last trip. They are fulltiming in their 1963 Flying Cloud. Check out their Blog: http://flyingcloud.blogs.com/
They spent the night at our house on their travels. We hope to see them again soon!!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Fulltiming

I have been fulltime for a little over 1 year. I have a 24' Argosy, but it works for me and my German Shepard, (Nana). He really like the traveling.
I covered 22,000 miles this summer and am now at my base station in Austin, Texas.
I made a local run the first weekend in Nov and will be making one the first weekend in Dec and the Blanco run the second weekend in Dec.
I hate sitting still.
You can e-mail me here are at gunnyusmc1964@yahoo.com and I will be glad too answer any questions.
I was in Maryland in August but couldn't find a campground that would allow Nana, so stayed in Gettysburg, PA. and drove 108 miles round trip too my son's place in Hunt Valley, MD.
Only state I have seen with restriction against German Shepards.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
At a WBCCI Rally this year we met a couple that has been full timing in an Airstream for over consecutive 15 years. They said that their "permanent place" was half a room in their daughters basement for the stuff they just couldn't part with. I forgot their names, or I'd forward them on to you. If I remember correctly, they were in a 34' model.

I've heard many times that a 25' is the minimum size to consider for full timing. I think our 25' Sovereign is great for a trip of 2-3 weeks at a time (about all we can do at the moment with jobs), but I seriously think we might want to go a little bigger if we ever get to the point that we can full time it. I'd guess that a 30' with dinette might be the minumum for us if we got to that point, but we were recently in a 2005 34' slideout model and it was soooo nice, if you have the tow vehicle to handle it. But then on the other hand a 25' offers more choices for camping sorts than a 34'. Decisions, decisions. Oh well we've got years before we need to make that decision.

Good luck on your decision.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Fulltiming

We have been living in our 30' Classic for just about 3 years. Spent 1 winter in it in Canada where we live and it went to -30 Celcius, never again, way to cosy. Spent last winter in Yuma/southern California,we are in Palm Springs right now, Hemet for Xmas,and hoping to head to Texas in the New Year for a visit. It can be done,you have to learn to live with a lot less Stuff and as the wife says you have to like your partner, not just love them.If/when you have a disagreement there is no place to go. We have made a lot of good friends in our limited travels so far and are looking to make a lot more. E-mail us with any questions,we have all the things with us: cell phones,computers, 2 cats, our address just happens to be wherever we are parked.

Ron/Jan
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
22ft CCD

I've been fulltiming in my 22ft CCD since March of this year. This was a move down from a huge old house that I'd learned to hate and was constantly needing repair. The salvation army and the local women's shelter made out like bandits when I downsized.

The first major thing I did within 3 months of moving in was have an oval mattress custom made, cause the factory foam is mediocre at best. I chose to have all four corners rounded so I could flip it as the front bed would put all the wear in the middle of one edge. I've also set up my laptop with a wireless modem and a TV attachment. It is my lifeline back to my office, several friends and to several trade organizations I contribute to.

I work full time and my business is just growing crazily, so I don't spend hours and hours in my unit. If I were retired I'd probably want something slightly bigger, but boy is this one easy to tow. I've used it to build my business by visiting out of town customers, buying another small answering service, going to conventions, etc. I've also enjoyed visiting family and friends - It's nice to not have to stay in a hotel and to bring my own "guest room" with me. I can be close without feeling like I might be intruding into someone's home.

I agree with the general sentiment, when you're traveling you want a smaller unit, when you're parked you want a bigger one.

I do find that I have to readjust my wardrobe freqently - there is no room for a pair of shoes I only wear once a month, and I won't keep an outfit I don't wear freqently.

As a side note, my home campground is a "condo" campground - which I can stay at for 28 days, then move off for 7, then back on for another 28. I pay an ANNUAL cost of $1000 for FULL hookup. In the weeks I'm off I'm often traveling on business, which means my company pays the campground bill (half the cost of a hotel room or less), other weeks if the weather is temperate I can boondock behind the business ... or check in to another local campground for about $100-$170 per week. We are a big tourist town so summer rates on weekends go up steeply. There is a third campground that is almost on the N.C. border (45 minute ride to work) but is considerably cheaper. Again because I use my laptop and cell phone for work, the company can pick up these bills. What it is costing me to live per YEAR is what many people spend in two or three months!

I've been surprisingly happy in such a small unit. I don't seem to get stir crazy and I do enjoy (and can now easily afford) to entertain friends at restaurants,etc. Whether I'll get tired of it this winter is an open question, but so far, so good.

You'll never know whether fulltiming might be your worst nightmare or a new discovery unless you try it. If you've camped and feel like you've had enough after a week or two, full-timing clearly ISN'T for you. If you've had "affluenza" up to here and realize you don't need all the crap they promote on HSN, that you don't enjoy cleaning THREE bathrooms and that you'd like to actually have time and money to enjoy your life, then fulltiming might be a revelation.

Last night I woke up at about 2:00 am... don't know why. I opened the door and looked outside to see if something in the campground had awakened me. It was cold and crisp with a few clouds and the moon just past full. You can SEE the stars in a campground and they were positively glowing against a velvet blue night sky. There was that autumn smell of wood smoke from a campfire.... I just made a cuppa tea and sat outside breathing in the night for about 20 minutes feeling very serene, then went in and slept like a baby.
If you want "action" and to be entertained constantly camping may be a better part time hobby than full time lifestyle.

I may go back to a square box without wheels in the future, but for now I'm happy.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Could be just about anywhere , Missouri
WOW Paula

I have decided to live fulltime in aobut a year.

30' Safari Bunkhouse

Your description sounds like heaven. After reading your article
I am in feeling good about my decision.

I go back and forth between fear and anticipation. I plan to
look for work on the road such as UPS at xmass and inventory
counting and what I can find hear of there.

I can just about retire but if I want to afford restaurants and
primo campsights every once in a while then I must work too.

Here is an article I used to estimate costs. I made a budget
by taking these items and applying a 3% increace per year
to get to 2006. I had to add a few items also. Some items had
to be increased more than 3% per year! GAS...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Full-timers: Dollars & Sense of Full-timing

October 3, 2001
by Carl Pullum (used courtesy of TL Enterprises www.rv.net)
OK, SO YOU’RE READY TO HIT THE ROAD. You want to be a full-time RVer: no mortgage, no job, no bills, no boss. You’ve learned a lot in the past several years about how others cope while on the road. Your atlas has many anticipated adventures outlined in red as you prepare for the big day. You know about mail-forwarding and voice-mail services. Perhaps you already own a cellular telephone or satellite or some other gizmo that makes life more comfortable. Knowing all that, you still have one remaining question: How much does it cost to live the full-time lifestyle? Ask a dozen full-timers and they will give you a dozen different answers. Some opt to boondock in a modest rig with no more than solar panels for power; others dread the thought of staying at any place with less than a five-star rating and 24-hour security while nestled in their first-class RV. Somewhere in between those two extremes is where most RVers will find themselves.
Before my wife and I started out on our journey, we had the same concerns about how much it would cost to full-time. Sure, we already knew the income required to cover “normal” re-occurring expenses, such as insurance and credit obligations, but we were in the dark when it came to constructing a realistic budget for those unknown travel expenses that we were soon to experience. To form a reliable working budget, we kept meticulous records for every dollar spent. The following categories represent those actual living expenses for our first 12 months while full-timing. Analyzing this up-to-date recap of those daily expenses will provide an excellent benchmark that you can use in order to calculate your own travel expenditures. Obviously, no two RVers will have the same lifestyle. However, by using these figures as a baseline, you can adapt each section to your own particular situation and arrive at an amount that meets your own needs.
In order to compare your estimated travel expenses to ours, you need to understand our situation: Who we are, how we travel, etc. We are both baby boomers. We are debt free and have taken a very early retirement in order to live “The Good Life.” For us, that means living as cheaply as possible. So far this has not been a problem, since we are both frugal in our ways.
We are in good health and travel with our small 12-year-old dog. Our 30-foot fifth-wheel is equipped with one slideout, a generator, an electric/propane 10-gallon water heater, a three-way 8-cubic-foot refrigerator, a computer and plenty of basement storage. What we don’t haul with us has been squeezed into a well-insured storage unit. We pull our home with a Ford F-250 SuperCab diesel pickup.
We do not have some of the comforts many RVers do, such as a satellite dish, a cell phone, solar panels or an inverter. Perhaps some of those will come in time.
We move our rig two or three times a month, and we explore each new area we visit in our own time. Most of our time is spent exploring and joining local activities.
The camping clubs to which we belong allow us to stay at an average of 60 to 75 percent off regular prices. We look for bargains at the nearest Wal-Mart, and we enjoy an occasional matinee. We don’t smoke or gamble (with the exception of a lottery ticket now and then).
Keep these points in mind as you analyze each of the following sections. You may spend more or you may spend less. The only correct amount will be that which fits your particular lifestyle and yours alone.
Food & Household Expenses:
Monthly average, $223; year, $2,676
Milk, bread, hot dogs or steak — it’s all entered in this section. Not included are extravagant items such as dining out, alcohol or tobacco; they are covered in the Entertainment category. We do, however, include all grocery items; coffee, sodas, snacks and similar items. Also contained here are minor household expenses such as laundry soap, shaving cream, hair spray, dog food and paper products.
Campground Fees:
Monthly average, $193; year, $2,316
We are now realizing considerable savings in this category. As you can see, this amount breaks down to less than $7 per day. We are able to achieve this due to membership camping. We are Life Members of the Good Sam Club and joined the Coast to Coast family shortly before hitting the road. Although we do not use membership camping exclusively, we do believe that it is a great asset for those who travel extensively. We calculated the total cost of belonging to the membership clubs we enjoy, and then compared that amount to what it would have cost us to camp elsewhere at a modest $15 per night. We have come out ahead considerably in the short time we have been using the membership parks.
With that said, a monthly budget of $250 may be a more practicable amount for this category in order to continue to cover the rising costs of some campground fees. You can also save by staying longer at each location as you travel. Weekly rates can save you as much as 10 percent or more off the daily rate, while monthly rates may be as low as half price! For us, camping fees have ranged from $0 to $16.50 per day.
Some campgrounds occasionally offer free camping for two or three nights if you attend a sales presentation of their properties. Speaking of free camping, some RVers look for the nearest Wal-Mart parking lot or truck stop as a way to save money. We have never included these locations as part of our travel plans, as we are much more comfortable with the conveniences offered at most campgrounds and the camaraderie of fellow RVers. To us, the increased chances of criminal activity and the relentless traffic throughout the night are certainly not worth the savings.
Fuel:
Fuel costs can be a major concern when on the road. We have a Ford diesel and pull a 30-foot fifth-wheel. We have traveled 18,910 miles and have towed our RV 6,180 of those miles, averaging 10 mpg towing and 14 mpg when driving solo. Diesel prices have varied from $0.83 to $1.35 per gallon. (We have noted that the price for a gallon of diesel or gas is usually about the same.)
We found that an average of $160 per month is more than adequate for our fuel needs. On a weekly basis, this allows us to use up to $40 for fuel. We normally pull our RV no more than 200 miles per week. At $1.10 per gallon (hopefully, this is still a little on the high side), this would cost us no more than $22 (200 miles @ 10 mpg x $1.10 per gallon), leaving approximately $18 of our weekly fuel budget for exploring the “Great Unknown,” once we unhook. With this amount we can travel solo 229 miles ($18 @ $1.10 per gallon x 14 mpg) for the week. This normally works for us. If we tow our RV more than 200 miles in a week, we usually stay at our destination longer, thus helping to keep our expenses in line.
Whether your vehicle uses diesel or gas, there are plenty of ways to help reduce those fuel bills. Here are four tips:
1) Always ensure that you have cash on hand for those many stations dotted along the highways that give lower prices for cash payments. Credit-card users may pay as much as an additional 5 cents or more per gallon at these stations.
2) Ensure that your tires are properly inflated on both your RV and tow/towed vehicle. Improper pressure can lead to tire damage and wasted fuel.
3) Don’t wait until you have to refuel; top those tanks off when you see bargain prices.
4) Consolidate outings when practical, to avoid unnecessary trips.
Entertainment: Monthly average, $127; year, $1,524
This is the most controllable category of all. Souvenirs, admission fees, dining out, a Saturday night at the local movie theater, golfing, fishing, sporting events — it’s all included here. You don’t have to spend money to have fun, but it sure helps! We’re frugal; for many, a higher dollar amount would be more reasonable.
Annual Dues: Monthly average, $61; year, $732
Listed here are those charges that normally occur once a year: camping club dues, emergency roadside assistance, safe-deposit box rentals and other such items.
Preventive Maintenance: Monthly average, $50; year, $600
Preventive maintenance can save thousands of dollars in the long haul; this includes engine/transmission oil and filter changes, brake and wheel-bearing inspections, tire rotation and chassis lubrication. Remember that these costs can vary greatly, depending on factors such as vehicles involved, miles driven and driving habits.
Communication: Monthly average, $46; year, $552
This includes phone calls, voice mail, postage and mail forwarding. The above annual amount breaks down as follows:
Telephone, $201 — We do not own a cellular telephone, but we do carry a regular phone with us since many campgrounds now include phone hookups. Other than that, we use pay phones and have an 800 number assigned to us that we use to make outgoing calls at 15 cents per minute. An automatic debit from our checking account was set up to pay for these charges on a monthly basis.
Voice mail, $146 — Our voice-mail provider charges 20 cents per minute. There are cheaper rates available, but we find ours more to our liking. We recharge our prepaid voice-mail card over the telephone when desired. Shop around, as many providers have a surcharge of around 30 cents for each call made from a pay phone in addition to the usage time.
Postage, $205 — This includes stamps, postcards and the cost of mailing parcels for occasions such as Christmas and birthdays.
Mail forwarding — We are fortunate in having our daughter handle our mail. Some organizations, including the Good Sam Club, offer this service at competitive prices.
Laundry: Monthly average, $16; year, $192
This category lists the actual cost for using washers and dryers (laundry soap and fabric softeners are included in the Household Expenses category). We do this dreaded chore once a week, normally two loads, sometimes three. We generally use campground facilities when available. There is seldom enough difference in price or quality to do laundry in town.
Propane: Monthly average, $8; year, $96
We have two 30-pound propane cylinders. We have an electric/gas water heater and refrigerator and normally operate them both on electric. Many parks have an extra charge for electric. When this is the case, we switch them both over to gas. We had our cylinders refilled 10 times throughout the year, and of those 10 fill-ups, our heaviest usage was during the month of January when we used three cylinders. Naturally, our furnace consumes the most propane. We spent our winter in southern Texas; consumption would be much higher in colder areas. Prices per fill-up varied from $7.55 to $11.77. Many campgrounds offer propane on site, but we have found that it is usually a dollar or two cheaper per cylinder when bought directly from a propane distributor.
Utilities: Monthly average, $5; year, $60
For us, this is a very insignificant amount. We have had one electric bill for the month of December and one for a two-week stay in February. Water and sewer, when available, have always been included in the basic camping rate. Many campgrounds do, however, charge extra for some hookups, especially sewer and cable television. If you own a satellite, don’t forget to include those monthly charges. Expect to pay for your electric usage during most long-term stays.
Other: Monthly average, $5; year, $60
We must now add the Other category. This includes all those other expenses not previously mentioned. For most people that would include big-ticket items such as insurance (i.e., medical, RV, truck, etc.) and mechanical repairs. Be sure to include items such as storage fees, gifts, jewelry, clothing and other obligations not previously mentioned. A breakdown of our expenses for this category is not included, since these expenditures can be quite extensive and will vary greatly from one RVer to another.
That is to say, some full-timers’ medical insurance policies are covered by retirement benefits, others by Medicare, etc., so the price of this particular item can vary greatly depending upon individual circumstances. Of these big-ticket items, health insurance can be a real budget buster. Even though we are both in good health, just the thought of this expense can make one sick! As noted above, we listed an annual Other category total of $7,608; medical and dental expenses, including insurance premiums, accounted for $3,441 of that amount.
Currently, we are covered by COBRA insurance, as are many recent retirees. However, not being eligible for Medicaid or Medicare, we will soon be obtaining individual policies after the 18-month COBRA coverage expires. For us, this was a real shocker, although for many people it may seem cheap. We now pay a $220 monthly premium and have a $250 deductible. The bad news is that after our COBRA expires we will be looking at a $2,500 deductible with a monthly premium remaining about the same. The good news is that we will be eligible for a Medical Savings Account (MSA). This is an “IRA-like” account well worth acquiring, if eligible. Monies put into this account can be used tax-free for medical expenses and are 100-percent deductible from your gross income. Interest earned is tax-deferred. Check with your insurance agent to see if the agency participates in this plan and if you are eligible.
Of course health insurance is another very individual expense that varies with factors such as age, health and state of residence. Many full-timers are fortunate in having worked for companies that provide either partial or complete medical and/or dental coverage in their retirement years. Some full-timers have chosen to set aside funds on their own to handle medical situations and have let their coverage drop. We feel that would cause a major financial strain for most individuals. In today’s world, medical coverage is a necessary evil, considering the ever-increasing cost of health care.
By totaling the sum of each category discussed, you can see that our first year of full-timing expenses amounted to $17,947 or $1,496 per month. A small price for freedom! If you are like many of us, you might be pleasantly surprised to find that the mobile lifestyle is much more affordable than you may have imagined. Full-timing is whatever you make it. Each new day is a new adventure. It affords you the opportunity to explore and experience this great land on your own terms. Full-timing is a dream, a dream that can come true. Hopefully this information will help you to realize that dream.
chrispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
Been full-timing for seven years

I read with interest the post of the expence of full-timing as we both retired very early also. Our cost saving lifestyle is much differant. We have two base camps that we own. One in Florida for the winter and one in Tennessee for the summers. This allows us to enjoy the outdoors as the weather is great in both places. We own these spots and have combined yearly fees of only $1000. Our electric is very small as we try to use fans instead of A/C and get by very well. If it's too hot we go to the pool. We both play golf and have free golf at our Florida site. We all help maintain the course so it makes it play very well. Our Florida place has a very nice screen room to keep the noseeems away in the evening while having our HH and watching the sunsets. Tennessee offers many large trees on our place so shade is everywhere and we have a 35' covered patio with a soon to be guest house (now a shed house) don't say that too fast. We are in a 34' that now has two lazy boys in place of those terrible couches that allows us to watch some TV on rainy days in comfort. We pull with a V10 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. We are both in our mid sixties and truely enjoy our lifestyle. I'm sure they'll come a day when I don't feel comfortable pulling anymore so we'll end up in a double wide someplace and look back at all those wonderful years of full-timing in our Airstream. Remember this............your not cramped because you go places where the weather is always pleasant allowing you to be outside. The mobile life is for us. Did I mention we live on a VERY small amount of income. So small it scares me but we still have too much fun.
Budsinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsinacan
Did I mention we live on a VERY small amount of income. So small it scares me but we still have too much fun.

RIGHT ON!

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy1
I have decided to live fulltime in aobut a year.

30' Safari Bunkhouse

Your description sounds like heaven. After reading your article
I am in feeling good about my decision.

I go back and forth between fear and anticipation. I plan to
look for work on the road such as UPS at xmass and inventory
counting and what I can find hear of there.

I can just about retire but if I want to afford restaurants and
primo campsights every once in a while then I must work too.

Here is an article I used to estimate costs. I made a budget
by taking these items and applying a 3% increace per year
to get to 2006. I had to add a few items also. Some items had
to be increased more than 3% per year! GAS...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Full-timers: Dollars & Sense of Full-timing

October 3, 2001
by Carl Pullum (used courtesy of TL Enterprises www.rv.net)
Good article. Very frugal people. Gas and health insurance have increased considerably more than 3% per year. I also find their entertainment expense on the light side. I would have to increase that one for myself. Still, based on those numbers inflated liberally we could live pretty good. That's encouraging.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
charlottesville , Virginia
Hi I am fulltiming and I have a question. I am getting ready to move on Friday and need some advise on packing my stuff. This is my first move to another site with all of my stuff in here. When I brought it here it was basically empty. Now I have dishes, lamps, mirrors, my computer, just lots of stuff one needs to live full time, does alot of stuff shift all around? Do I need to put my dishes in boxes and secure them? I really don't know what to expect.Thanks in advance, jimmieanna
jimmieanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmieanna
When I brought it here it was basically empty. Now I have dishes, lamps, mirrors, my computer, just lots of stuff one needs to live full time, does alot of stuff shift all around? Do I need to put my dishes in boxes and secure them? I really don't know what to expect.Thanks in advance, jimmieanna
Yes, stuff will bounce around. Anything fragile (i.e. glass, computer) my wife and I usually make sure is wrapped and packed in a place that doesn't let it move. E.g. we put our wine glasses in the orig wine box that we bought them in, and it worked great. Just stored the box in our closet. We had nice plastic dishes from Target and just kept them stored in the cupboards and they were fine. If yours are china, put a non-slip rubber type pad between each and on the bottom so they don't move around and chip. Basically, your rule of thumb should be that if it can move, make sure it is secured so that it doesn't. Because it will, trust me (yes, we learned the hard way).

Good luck!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
charlottesville , Virginia
Thumbs up

okay, I appreciate your answering me so fast. I do have a bit of work to get ready then, however on the bright side no toting boxes. I just have to secure stuff and hook-up and go. That is really cool. Thanks, Jimmieanna
jimmieanna is offline   Reply With Quote