Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Smile The hunt is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicKiwi View Post
As far as pricing goes... For an AS (let's say a 25' - 31'), what would be the average price for one in good condition (any year)?

I've been looking on eBay Motors and Craigslist and see ones anywhere from $1000 to $15,000 (from 50's models up until 90's). I don't think I'll be able to afford going any newer than the 90's? I'm hoping to spend $10,000 or less. Around $5000 would be ideal though. I don't want to do too much structural work on the thing (if any) - basically just cosmetic work to modernize the interior and some cleaning up. Is my budget realistic?
Half the fun is the hunt. If you are sure you are going to Texas than look for one in Texas, that way if you get a larger one the owner can tow it to it's new home. Even if you end up in another park until the one you want has an opening for you it can work out. If you are going to travel than a 25 AS or 26 AS Argosy is a good size. Everythings a tradeoff. I have a 22 but it's an open floorplan and suits me for what I want it for.

A 25 AS that looked in good shape just went for $5500 in Mass, they're out there.

Good Luck

Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Half the fun is the hunt. If you are sure you are going to Texas than look for one in Texas, that way if you get a larger one the owner can tow it to it's new home. Even if you end up in another park until the one you want has an opening for you it can work out. If you are going to travel than a 25 AS or 26 AS Argosy is a good size. Everythings a tradeoff. I have a 22 but it's an open floorplan and suits me for what I want it for.

A 25 AS that looked in good shape just went for $5500 in Mass, they're out there.

Good Luck
I am actually thinking of working on it up here in New England at my boyfriend's house in MA before we move to Texas. His Dad actually lived in a trailer (not an Airstream though) years ago and they are both really handy. Basically my whole boyfriend's side works in construction so I think it'll be great to enlist their help with the design as I want it very custom. Then we can do a real road trip to bring our baby to its new home.

*In the market for an Airstream in the 21'-28' range. Please contact me if you have something!*
AtomicKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Stamford , Connecticut
Currently eyeing a 1979 20' Argosy Minuet... It's being sold for $1000 and I'm in love with it. It's in great shape except the bathroom and couch/table unit has been taken out. Seems like the perfect fixer-upper for me! I think if the seller gets back to me I just might buy it. The more I think about it, the more I think I could live in a smaller trailer. Can't beat that portability.

*In the market for an Airstream in the 21'-28' range. Please contact me if you have something!*
AtomicKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I live in a stick and rock house just up the hill from Pecan Grove. On any given weekend there are 4 or 5 Airstreams parked there so you will not want for company. It is an amazing location with (as you note) a really great only-in-Austin vibe. If you're new to Austin, there's no better introduction than a few months on Barton Springs Road as you sort out where you want to put down (unwheeled) roots.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Here you go -this is a campground locator that has red pins for pay sites and green pins for free sites. here you go...Free RV Camping. Free Campsites, Free RV Campgrounds and Boondocking Locations Don't be sharp--don't be flat --just be natural! (old band director advice)
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
Kiwi -

When you mentioned 'not doing things the way others do' a bell went off in my head. I am at a similar point in my life ( few years your junior) and I am really enthralled with airstream living. But there is one central premise that I can't swallow:
I keep thinking; why stay in a RV park? Though the one you mentioned sounds quite nice, really honestly who wants to say they live in an RV park?

Check out the info on this forum about boon docking . . . it may be for you . . . an intersting sub-clture of this whole trailer shin-dig. I am talking solar panels and composting toilets, etc. What about finding a landowner who wants to make a few extra $$$ a month and setting up your own water & electric with lines that run a few hundred feet out from the main house. Maybe you have to haul a few buckets here and there and the sewage would take some tinkering, but if we're talking about full-timing then I guess the effort is worth it.

I just keep going back to the question; who wants to live in a trailer park????

Cheers and here's to leaving he beaten path!

Ben
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
who wants to live in a trailer park??

That question has been asked, so you might search on it here. My short answer is that, having done it for weeks and months, it sure beats an apartment complex. My neighbors change, but there are no strangers . . folks are glad to be out & about (permanent, extended stay, overnight) and own rather than rent their "homes".

Granted that in mid-summer in Texas or February in Chicago there are better choices than an RV in nearly every respect. A New Englander is going to have a time of it in Austin: the pollution, the traffic and all sap even the natives from July 4 to well past Labor Day (actually, May through October one NEEDS constant A/C).

But you might be surprised. There are as many kinds of RV park as there are RV's out there . . ever checked out the ones that cater to million-dollar coaches? Does "living in a trailer park" include such as these for the six months the owners might stay in the Valley of Texas?

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #22
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Kiwi, welcome to the forum, I lived in a trailer for 3 years down here in Texas, it was a 25 footer, I wouldnt go smaller than that. It was myself my girlfriend and my German Shepherd the last year I was staying there, and it got really small in a hurry. Granted the floor plan wasnt very good on the trailer I had, it was not an AS but still it is a mighty small space.

What you are talking about doing though is perfectly viable and a good choice. As well the Austin area is really nice, and if you have your trailer setup so as that it is road worthy and you can leave at a moments notice, you will find that there is a lot to do that you can take your trailer with you for.

For instance down in my neck of the woods over towards Corpus up in Rockport there are many RV parks there that are right on the gulf, you can literally get up in the morning, walk a couple hundred feet and go watch dolphins playing around in the water.

There are also many oportunites out on padre island, and there are many lakes around the area as well where you can stay for the weekend and have a blast.

Also I know that some of the water parks in the area have RV sites as well.

You can easily do 4 seasons here in a trailer, there are thousands doing it, just make sure you have a good AC other wise you will fry. It is well worth the cost for a brand new unit if you move down here just for the piece of mind and the things you wont have to mess with.

When it comes to buying your trailer, I would strongly recomend that you get togeather the 10 grand, and buy as much and as new of a trailer as you can get for the money in as good of condition as possible. Reason being you dont want to be living in an air stream while you are restoring it.

Also I would strongly recomend upgrading to a tankless water heater, there is nothing like running out of hot water in the middle of a shower to make you feel all warm and fuzzy!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
So Cal , California
Atomic Kiwi, I like the way you think! The hub and I are a young couple in our twenties and we lived in a 19ft. travel trailer for about 8 months. It was the happiest time in our marriage so we purched our AS with the intent on simplifying our lives and living in it. We plan on living most of the year in a park here in So Cal a few miles from the beach.

Go as big as you can! Counter space and closet space really make a difference when you are living in it. We bought a brand new 27ft. Safari Classic front sleeper and so far it has been perfect. It's just big enough to fit what we need but still small enoungh (under 30ft) that it's easy to tow and we don't get charged extra at parks we vacation at.

Best of luck finding your perfect AS!
~Mrs. B