Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Advice Please!

I'm 24 and have had roommates for the past few years. I have lived in a townhouse, and 2 houses, the current a 5 bed 3 bath that I love. Although I love my current large house with my master suite, large bathroom, and custom walk-in closet where my shoes can enjoy their space, I must move as I no longer work in the city where the home is located and my roommate situation has changed due to careers and life. I grew up in a small space so I do know what it’s like to live in a small space. I am currently unattached and have no idea where I want attend college or live, but I currently work in Atlanta, GA.

Since I am unattached, searching myself for what I want to do and where I want to do it, and would like to try living alone, I thought that owning my own awesome vintage piece of Americana would be a fantastic idea. But is it actually? I really need some advice on this topic from full-timers. I have looked at a few 1970's 31' Sovereigns. I like the idea of the 31' bc of the extra space, but a 25’ to 29’ might be easier to tow/get around, although, I don’t plan to drive around with it too much at least at first anyways. I really prefer the center bath models bc I want my bed in the rear. I don’t have much experience with RV’s at all really. I only remember an old pop-up that was in our yard for a while and the camper at my uncle’s lake house, both childhood memories, and neither had plumbing. I would really like this dream to become a reality but would love some advice on the subject. I’m looking for a cheap lifestyle with an updated vintage Airstream. I love the idea of completely remodeling a vintage airstream that’s just a shell but I have neither the money, or skill required. So, I need an older Airstream that’s updated a bit and possible to live in.

Some of my questions and concerns are: 1) Is it easy to find a reasonably priced RV Park with hookups and Wi-Fi? (I’d like to be at 500 a month or below) 2) If I parked in a friends yard for a bit is it possible to hookup plumbing and electricity? 3) How often do you dispose of your water tanks when full-timing? 4) If you’re parked at a park do you have to go to a dump station or does a full hookup site make that unnecessary? 5) Is it safe? Has anyone had theft problems with their Airstream and what should I do protect it? How much trouble does Mother Nature cause? Lighting storms, wind, cold, heat?... (We get all types of weather in Georgia) 6) How do you determine the best tow vehicle? (I’ve thought about BMW X5 or some other used SUV) 7) Insurance costs, title, and tag costs? 8) What are the biggest differences between a 70’s model and the brand new models? (Besides the huge cost difference of course) Please feel free to add any additional information or concerns I may not have thought of. I appreciate any advice. I’ve read through some forums and blogs but I can’t find much info on hooking up electric and water/sewage at someone’s residence, and any info on maintaining water tanks, propane tanks, and electric are very welcome.

THANKS! I would like to make this a reality and have people stop looking at me like I may be insane. To me it's who wouldn't want their own Airstream and to live cheap and feel like nature is so close?!
AirstreamNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamNae View Post
2) If I parked in a friends yard for a bit is it possible to hookup plumbing and electricity?

I'm not a full-timer but I think I can answer this one, having hooked up temporary office trailers at construction sites, which isn't much different. I'll leave the other questions to full-timers who can better answer.

Hooking up the water is easy. Regular blue&white potable water hose to an outside hose bibb on the side of the house ("bibb" is a technical term for a faucet with a screw-on connection). Electric is more difficult; you'd need to get 30-amp service from an existing junction box to a new service box, where you can plug in your shore power cable. That's a job for a licensed electrician. Sewer is easy, too; run your sewer discharge line to an existing sewer cleanout plug somewhere on the property (you'll often find them near the building foundation). all you have to do is remove the cleanout plug, and insert your waste line. You may not want to leave it connected all the time, though, lest a clogged drain cause effluent to back up into the yard through the open cleanout.

The technical problems are minor. You have to be more concerned with city ordnances. For example, where my parents live in southwest Oklahoma, the city requires any occupied RV must be at a designated RV park, not at a private residence or even a mobile home park. Also, where they live, an RV stored on private property must be on concrete, not on a gravel driveway or on the grass. Different municipalities will have different rules; check first wherever you decide to put down roots so the Sheriff's Department doesn't come evict you.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Vintage (old) Airstreams in good condition have probably been refurbished, some poorly and some very well. The good ones are expensive but you must know what to look for. Rv's tend to require constant upkeep and repairs.

They need a substantial tow vehicle which may be quite large/expensive as a daily driver.

RV parks range from luxury to sleazy and are priced accordingly.

So a decent arrangement is dependent on your savings and income. Its not a cheap lifestyle, and usually results in a loss of investment if you decide to do something different. Don't take the advice of someone trying to sell you something before you take the plunge.

Are there other lifestyles? Here's one. My wife and I are retired Navy, traveled the world on ships and planes. Loved the travel, adventure, and people we met, things we saw. Then bought an Airstream a few years ago to continue the fun.

doug & cheryl k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
All you need on the electric is a simple adapter that converts household electricity to 30 amp (or whatever amp you need). You can pick one up for $20 at an RV store or Amazon. I have one and use it frequently.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
All you need on the electric is a simple adapter that converts household electricity to 30 amp (or whatever amp you need). You can pick one up for $20 at an RV store or Amazon. I have one and use it frequently.
If you are talking about something that plugs into a normal 120V household receptacle and gives you the special socket that trailers plug into, no, that is NOT all you need.

Household circuits are typically 15 or 20 amps. Drawing 30A through them can be very dangerous.

A proper 30A trailer connection needs to be wired by a licensed electrician in order to maintain safety and your insurance.

But as was pointed out earlier in the thread, the real problem is that the majority of areas will not allow inhabited trailers on residentially-zoned properties. And don't think you can get away with it for long; no neighbour will like it enough to turn a blind eye.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If you are talking about something that plugs into a normal 120V household receptacle and gives you the special socket that trailers plug into, no, that is NOT all you need.

Household circuits are typically 15 or 20 amps. Drawing 30A through them can be very dangerous.
NOT drawing 30 amps thru them. I've been using this for over 2 years:

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries 50-30 50 Amp - 30 Amp Compact Adapter: Automotive
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries 50-30 50 Amp - 30 Amp Compact Adapter: Automotive
Getting back to the whole advice thing, anyone looking to plug their trailer into an outlet providing less than 30 amps will have to make some compromises, like shutting off the air conditioner every time they use the water heater, or whatever. For a brand-new full-timer, I wouldn't recommend it. That's something best left to more experienced campers who know what to expect.

Actually, the best advice I can offer is, before seriously considering full-timing, rent an RV (whether an Airstream or not) and live in it for a week or two. If you can't still be happy after a couple of weeks, then you certainly won't be happy full-time. And the money it costs to rent an RV will be a lot less than you stand to lose by buying one and then deciding to sell a month or two later if you see it's not for you.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:

What you showed me is a 50A to 30A plug adapter, but I knew what you meant the first time. That item has a valid use at a campground where the 30A receptacles are all taken, but a 50 is available. No harm, no foul.

I'm sorry, but just because you have done it for 2 years without roasting yourself or another person, doesn't make it safe, or even right. It has the potential to kill.

I stand by my statement. If you are certain I am wrong, ask your insurance agent for his opinion. Even if he knows nothing about electrical, he will tell you this does not fly.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The center bath is a good technical choice, but it'll be tighter on space while you're actually using the facilities. If I were looking for a longer 70s trailer I'd want the center bath as well, less for the location of the bed(s) than for the better weight distribution on the frame.

Unless it's modified, a '70s trailer will have small tanks. With full hookups, the only effect this will have for you is that you'll need to dump the blackwater tank more frequently (it's ok to leave the greywater tank open to drain when you have full hookups.) A pre-'74 trailer may not have a greywater tank at all unless someone has added one. Again, with full hookups that won't matter.

Around ATL the toughest thing to manage will be heat, I suspect. During the coldest nights of the year you'll have interior condensation issues to manage and burn through a lot of propane, but in the hot summer you'll definitely want to find a shady place to park an Airstream, with a 30A electrical connection and a reliable AC unit. On hot, humid days, a single 15k BTU has to work hard to keep a 31' trailer comfortable inside.

The X5 is doable, with some work to get an excellent hitch system set up right. Forums member withidl tows a 34' triple-axle Airstream with a V8 X5. If I were looking for an X5 for towing duty I'd want the diesel, but that's personal preference.

You've already received good advice on parking by someone's house. Basically you'd need to find someone who lives out in a rural area where there are few code restrictions on housing, which is likely to be a long way from central Atlanta. As far as productive use of time goes, you'd do better to focus on finding RV parks that offer full-timing options.

As far as differences, new Airstreams are a bit wider than 70s trailers and have a bit more square shape to the body where it curves from walls to roof. This yields a bit more interior space, both real and perceived. New ones are generally much heavier for the same length of trailer, and have bigger water tanks and more battery capacity (single batteries were the norm in the 70s, dual batteries are common now.) Very new long trailers can be found with 50-amp service and dual AC units (custom options). Almost all the new floorplans are center bath, and almost all the '70s models I see are rear bath, though the center-bath plans exist and become more and more common the later-model and longer the trailers get.

Of course newer trailers come with more modern gadgets. 70s units had 8-track tape players (in the fancy units) and some had stands for tube TVs. Modern Airstreams have CD/DVD players built in and wall-mounted flat-panel TVs. All the modern gadgets can be added to vintage trailers if you like.

The most important advice I can give is to learn as much as you can before you start spending money on the project.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:

In ATL she'll need air conditioning for a big part of the year, and thus will need a properly-wired 30A circuit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
What you showed me is a 50A to 30A plug adapter, but I knew what you meant the first time. That item has a valid use at a campground where the 30A receptacles are all taken, but a 50 is available. No harm, no foul.

I'm sorry, but just because you have done it for 2 years without roasting yourself or another person, doesn't make it safe, or even right. It has the potential to kill.

I stand by my statement. If you are certain I am wrong, ask your insurance agent for his opinion. Even if he knows nothing about electrical, he will tell you this does not fly.
WORD!
Do not run an AC through a 30amp plug adapter. You are just asking for an electrical fire. There are many things that work for a while and then a serious issue occures
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings AirstreamNae,
I am not a full-timer but I hear your cry for advice. You say a lot in your post. You state that you are not that handy and do not have the funds for renovation but describe renovating it as if you would do it over time. That alone raises concern ongoing too vintage. Unless you know the person selling or happen upon someone selling their pet Airstream for a really good price I would avoid going too old with little money, handiness AND it being your primary residence. That said, all is not lost. Consider something like this from the classifieds:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/showproduct.php?product=16244&cat=16

I am not saying to buy it but just consider that it is older but not too old. Using that as a reference, play with the price and think out the situation. Do you have $12K? In most cases, anything older than seven years or so requires cash. That is not a hard fast rule but I just bought a six year old model and it comes down to what they will loan out. Secondly, in one like the example vintage- 1999, you will have a 6300 lb trailer weight and close to a 700 lb tongue weight. The frame of the tow vehicle has to handle that tongue as part of payload and also the hitch must be Class IV and have at least that weight rating. The vehicle must also be able to handle pulling 6300 lbs. Most SUV's and smaller tow-like vehicles cap off at 5000 lbs. So, that leaves Pickup trucks and larger SUVs. Living in Atlanta, the traffic is, well, bad. An option might be to have it towed to a place and then work toward getting a tow vehicle. Personally, I would not choose an X5 because realize that you really need a V8, and although they do offer one, all BMW's use premium gas AND especially while towing.and the gas mileage is right in line with pickup trucks (most use regular gas) but with a lot less space and utility. Now, consider your vehicle purchase for towing or not.

Next, you will have something that may need replacing or fixed. Plan on having a few thousand for that. Atlanta Marietta RV Resort charges $530 month plus $80 flat fee on electric.

They have full hookup which by the way does take care of sewer, water, cable, trash, needs but not gas (propane) which is good for cooking and hot water. I paid $27 to fill a 30lb. tank recently. With three in my trailer using the facilities and dishes etc. We easily filled the gray tank (drain water) in 3 days. The black tank (sewer) was only about a 1/4 full if that much. I have 39 gallon tanks on a 25' BUT the tank size is irrelvant if you are hooked up all the time in a campground. You would just have to empty them every so often.

Basically, you are talking about having a stash of cash already to take this on or you best have one. It is certainly possible but would require a lump sum and would provide a challenge for you. You would HAVE TO become handy right away and want to do so or else fall to greater costs. An older AS may pose too much work to live in at the same time.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Getting back to the whole advice thing, anyone looking to plug their trailer into an outlet providing less than 30 amps will have to make some compromises, like shutting off the air conditioner every time they use the water heater, or whatever. For a brand-new full-timer, I wouldn't recommend it.
Exactly, potential trouble. I have a Penguin 11,000 BTU unit AC that I have run on a 20amp circuit. I can do that because it only requires 13 amps or so to run according to specs. I just cannot run anything or much else.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
...Nae - Rodsterinfl gives good, sound advice, from our experience. We, too, have a 1999 unit and love every one of the 27,000 miles we've pulled her and camped in her. A childhood friend of mine has a 25' Safari and it's a nice place to live. As others have said, perhaps a rental of something for 2-3 weeks would give you a better "feel" of how the electric, sewer, propane, life-style works for you. Also look at rvtrader.com for used units.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Some of my questions and concerns are: 1) Is it easy to find a reasonably priced RV Park with hookups and Wi-Fi? (I’d like to be at 500 a month or below) 2) If I parked in a friends yard for a bit is it possible to hookup plumbing and electricity? 3) How often do you dispose of your water tanks when full-timing? 4) If you’re parked at a park do you have to go to a dump station or does a full hookup site make that unnecessary? 5) Is it safe? Has anyone had theft problems with their Airstream and what should I do protect it? How much trouble does Mother Nature cause? Lighting storms, wind, cold, heat?... (We get all types of weather in Georgia) 6) How do you determine the best tow vehicle? (I’ve thought about BMW X5 or some other used SUV) 7) Insurance costs, title, and tag costs? 8) What are the biggest differences between a 70’s model and the brand new models? (Besides the huge cost difference of course) Please feel free to add any additional information or concerns I may not have thought of. I appreciate any advice. I’ve read through some forums and blogs but I can’t find much info on hooking up electric and water/sewage at someone’s residence, and any info on maintaining water tanks, propane tanks, and electric are very welcome.
I'll take a stab at anwers to your specfic questions:

1) Is it easy to find a reasonably priced RV Park with hookups and Wi-Fi?
It's hit or miss, depending on the city you live in, the part of that city, how touristy it is, etc. Only way to ell is to look around where you want to live.

2) If I parked in a friends yard for a bit is it possible to hookup plumbing and electricity?
Yes, it's possible. Is it easy to do safely? Probably not so easy--especially the plumbing. Is it going to be tolerated by neighbors and homeowner's associations? Very doubtful.

3) How often do you dispose of your water tanks when full-timing?
If you live at a park with full hook-ups, its a breeze. If you live at a park with a dump station, its a hassle. If you are boon docking in an empty lot, you have to go find some place with a dump station to routinely dump.

4) If you’re parked at a park do you have to go to a dump station or does a full hookup site make that unnecessary?
Yes. If you are planning on leaving the trailer in a park for weeks or months, then you probably want one with full hook-ups so that you don't have to move it to dump tanks every few days.

5) Is it safe? Has anyone had theft problems with their Airstream and what should I do protect it? How much trouble does Mother Nature cause? Lighting storms, wind, cold, heat?... (We get all types of weather in Georgia)
Personal safety depends on the town you live in. I think accommodations of all sorts are targets for break-ins. The big advantage that a traditional "house" may have is that you can have a monitored alarm system--something I haven't heard of for travel trailers. As for mother nature, be assured that an airstream is something of a fragile "house." Anything that damages a house will likely do even more damage to your trailer. The summer heat is likely to be your worst challenge full-timing in Atlanta, as you just don't have the same level of insulation that you do in a house.

6) How do you determine the best tow vehicle? (I’ve thought about BMW X5 or some other used SUV).
Start by figuring out how big of a trailer you want, its weight, and its tongue weight. You can then go about finding a vehicle with that kind of towing capacity. There are lots of opinions on this forum about what the perfect tow vehicle is, but it doesn't sound like you intend to do a lot of traveling in your trailer, so a 3/4 ton diesel truck is probably overkill.

7) Insurance costs, title, and tag costs?
Depends a lot on where you live, local regs, etc.. Many owners find that their trailers are covered under their tow vehicle's insurance (while hitched). I have suplemental insurance on mine. Title costs depend on the state, and often on what you pay for the trailer.

8) What are the biggest differences between a 70’s model and the brand new models? (Besides the huge cost difference of course) Please feel free to add any additional information or concerns I may not have thought of. I appreciate any advice. I’ve read through some forums and blogs but I can’t find much info on hooking up electric and water/sewage at someone’s residence, and any info on maintaining water tanks, propane tanks, and electric are very welcome.
There are tons of posts on this forums about all aspects of airstream ownership. If you want to scare yourself out of the idea, then read through a few of the total rennovation threads, searching for "shell off" and "full monte." The differences between vintage trailers and newer ones are probably too many to list right here, but I would generalize by saying that a 70's trailer will likely need a lot of repairs, unless they have already been done, and early 70's trailers do not come standard with grey water tanks, which means you have to have full hook-ups, as there is no storage of common waste water.

Just realize that there are plenty of vintage trailers out there in greatly varying states of disrepair. Before looking at any of them, read through some of the threads describing the "buyer's inspection checklist" to see what you are getting into. Keep in mind that if you were buying a 40 year old car, it is going to need a lot more than new upholstery, and the same is true of trailers. My caution would be that by the time you find a serviceable trailer that won't represent a safety hazard, money pit, or time sink, buy a suitable tow vehicle, and then find a legitimate place to park it, you probably could buy a "starter house."

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Boone , North Carolina
I too like the idea of fixing up a vintage Airstream. When you google Airstream architect and others or look at Airstream Life, you see marvelous transformations.

But as you say you have limited renovation experience, I would tend towards a modern Airstream that is fully function-able. Since you would be living and renovating in the same small space I could see some problems. It is not like renovating a house where you can go room to room in your renovations and still be habitable. The small space of an Airstream (and any other RV) makes this tough.

Good Used Modern Airstreams can be bought for no more than a new Camary and have a good resale value if you decide this new living arrangement is not for you. With these you can get financing and deduct the interest on your taxes (consult your tax advisor).

The advice above from the various posters is is well founded and should be seriously considered. The longer and older Airstreams can have frame sag and would need to be checked out prior to purchase. Renting a RV is great advice too.

As far as where to park it. This can have its challenges too. Top of Ga Airstream Park in Helen, Ga. (a WBCCI unit) has extremely good rates at $7/ day. I have found state and county parks also have good rates too. I am currently at South Cove Co Park on Lake Keowee in Seneca, SC for $15 to $20/ day. The RV 'resorts' and campground can get very pricey, so you will have a lot of investigation where you want to set up. Many full time parks offer monthly rates for a better discount.

I have just started full timing in a 2005 25' CCD with the SS (side sleeper) floor plan. For a single person its great. A couch , dinette, double bed and decent size bath with 2 closets. I have had the camper for 4 years using it on weekends. Since selling my house and it makes the best sense.

Good luck with your investigation. These forums can be invaluable as a resource for both potential units to purchase, to camping locations, and full timing experience.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
First I'd like to say thanks for all the advice and I'll take it all into consideration. I’m still considering the Airstream lifestyle for myself, and do still like the possibilities it would provide. I have thought of going more traditional and saving to buy my first home, but there are many factors I don’t like with that probably better long term financial decision. I would like to attend college and move to a different city, possibly more than one. I see myself happiest traveling and working in different cities and that makes a home purchase scary as I do not wish to reside in my hometown or Atlanta forever. That’s not to say I won’t ever return, I do have family I love here, I just want to see more. I have thought about renting the home I could possibly own when I move but that requires me becoming a long distance landlord or hiring a middleman, or selling in a buyer’s market. Point is I’m too undecided to commit to such a large permanent purchase.

I found a few RV parks and one with the right price of 500 monthly called Stone Mountain Heights, but it’s more of a mobile home park as well as an RV park. The Marietta RV Resort is probably the best option but at 610 monthly seems steep. I will probably not park and reside at a residence even though where my sister lives an hour from the city you can with a permit, I think I’d prefer not to do so. Twin Lakes looks to be lovely but a bit far. So it does come down to they are priced accordingly from nice to dump.

I had found a 1978 Excelled 500 31’ for sale with many upgrades including water pump, electric tongue jack, fridge, water purification system, tires, axel, etc. looked amazing and was lived in for 6 months by a small family it was listed for 9,700, but it was sold before I could take a look. I’m currently interested in an 85 Sovereign 31’ with this info listed:

“Hi Im selling a 1985 Airstream Sovereign camper trailer. Not a concourse trailer but pretty straight and clean!
The outside isnt polished and has a couple of sunburn spots where the clearcoat was, but think it had a repair (replacement panel) to one of the upper caps at some point in its life. Everything works to the best of my knowledge........I put a new built in microwave and correct propane /electric refrigerator in it last summer. AC blows ice cold even when its 100degrees outside. It has a nice ZipDee awning on the side. Double bed in rear, bathroom in side. A very nice comfortable trailer......I just dont use it anymore......and I hate to see it sit. Feel free to call with any questions...I am out of town so we'll have to arrange a time for you to preview and check it out. Feel free to call with any questions.

The rear lights need bulbs or something when I parked it last fall the attendant told me one of the tail lights didnt seem to be on....and one was full bright?? The ZipDee awning arms will need a lube. The kitchen stove/oven work great as does the fridge and microwave. I never used the bathroom...but did put water in the holding tank to make sure the water worked. In short you probably know more about Airstreams than I do and I would encourage and welcome you to come check it out with a knowledgable technician......It would make a great trailer to put on a piece of property or take to the beach.”

I’m not completely sure how I feel about this one. I would take a look at it of course but concerns are the interior looks a bit shabby, sunburn spots?, brake lights, bathroom unused…. It’s listed for 9,200. Any additional advice is welcome! I’m still very clueless on electric, propane, and holding tanks and I think I might rent before buying. Also, any great sites for buying used Airstreams would be appreciated!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
To give an example of what I'm looking for in case anyone has any suggestions or comments. I’ve looked at quite a few as you can tell from my profile pic I took of a shiny vintage Airstream located in Athens. I’m looking for at least a 27’ but no more than a 31’ livable Airstream for 9,000 or less. I need closet space a lot… I want a center bath model for sure. and I REALLY love yellow countertops 9you see these in the 70's models mostly).
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
First I'd like to say thanks for all the advice and I'll take it all into consideration. I’m still considering the Airstream lifestyle for myself, and do still like the possibilities it would provide. I have thought of going more traditional and saving to buy my first home, but there are many factors I don’t like with that probably better long term financial decision. I would like to attend college and move to a different city, possibly more than one. I see myself happiest traveling and working in different cities and that makes a home purchase scary as I do not wish to reside in my hometown or Atlanta forever. That’s not to say I won’t ever return, I do have family I love here, I just want to see more. I have thought about renting the home I could possibly own when I move but that requires me becoming a long distance landlord or hiring a middleman, or selling in a buyer’s market. Point is I’m too undecided to commit to such a large permanent purchase.

I found a few RV parks and one with the right price of 500 monthly called Stone Mountain Heights, but it’s more of a mobile home park as well as an RV park. The Marietta RV Resort is probably the best option but at 610 monthly seems steep. I will probably not park and reside at a residence even though where my sister lives an hour from the city you can with a permit, I think I’d prefer not to do so. Twin Lakes looks to be lovely but a bit far. So it does come down to they are priced accordingly from nice to dump.

I had found a 1978 Excelled 500 31’ for sale with many upgrades including water pump, electric tongue jack, fridge, water purification system, tires, axel, etc. looked amazing and was lived in for 6 months by a small family it was listed for 9,700, but it was sold before I could take a look. I’m currently interested in an 85 Sovereign 31’ with this info listed:

“Hi Im selling a 1985 Airstream Sovereign camper trailer. Not a concourse trailer but pretty straight and clean!
The outside isnt polished and has a couple of sunburn spots where the clearcoat was, but think it had a repair (replacement panel) to one of the upper caps at some point in its life. Everything works to the best of my knowledge........I put a new built in microwave and correct propane /electric refrigerator in it last summer. AC blows ice cold even when its 100degrees outside. It has a nice ZipDee awning on the side. Double bed in rear, bathroom in side. A very nice comfortable trailer......I just dont use it anymore......and I hate to see it sit. Feel free to call with any questions...I am out of town so we'll have to arrange a time for you to preview and check it out. Feel free to call with any questions.

The rear lights need bulbs or something when I parked it last fall the attendant told me one of the tail lights didnt seem to be on....and one was full bright?? The ZipDee awning arms will need a lube. The kitchen stove/oven work great as does the fridge and microwave. I never used the bathroom...but did put water in the holding tank to make sure the water worked. In short you probably know more about Airstreams than I do and I would encourage and welcome you to come check it out with a knowledgable technician......It would make a great trailer to put on a piece of property or take to the beach.”

I’m not completely sure how I feel about this one. I would take a look at it of course but concerns are the interior looks a bit shabby, sunburn spots?, brake lights, bathroom unused…. It’s listed for 9,200. Any additional advice is welcome! I’m still very clueless on electric, propane, and holding tanks and I think I might rent before buying. Also, any great sites for buying used Airstreams would be appreciated!
There are many people on the forum that may be willing to help you inspect... especially in the Atlanta area. Some food for thought: in your price range, you more than likely will not get a "perfect" unit. Look at the things that are the most important that are necessary for you to live in and what is cosmetic and/or can be fixed later. If you new to you airstream needs work, can you do the repairs where you plan to park it or will you have to tow it somewhere else fix it and tow it back.
In regards to the 1985 unit: "sunburn" is the clearcoat on the aluminum failing. I would assume that every AS you look at will have this. this will be more of a cosmetic issue. Brake lights are simple enough. I would want to check the plumbing/power/propane systems thoroughly. Also check around the perimeter for soft floors; any subfoor repair may be a little tricky if you do not have the facilities/tools/skill to repair it. The interior can be cleaned/repaired/replaced fairly easy, I would not necessarily let that drive the boat.
Go look at as many as you can to get a realistic expectation of what you will get (size/condition) in your price range. I know that I looked at at least 6 rigs before I found mine and I am glad I did not buy them!
Good Luck!!!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
Aluminum Addict

1970 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamNae
To give an example of what I'm looking for in case anyone has any suggestions or comments. I’ve looked at quite a few as you can tell from my profile pic I took of a shiny vintage Airstream located in Athens. I’m looking for at least a 27’ but no more than a 31’ livable Airstream for 9,000 or less. I need closet space a lot… I want a center bath model for sure. and I REALLY love yellow countertops 9you see these in the 70's models mostly).
In the 1969 Sovereign 31' we renovated first, I had TONS of closet space and gorgeous mustard yellow Formica countertops (that had been covered in ugly brown cracking tile, I couldn't save it unfortunately). There was a rear bath, but with a little work and experience found I actually prefer it. Leaves room in the middle for an office, and the wood veneer they used was gorgeous. We touched it up with teak oil.
Being shiny takes a lot of work, but it's a great workout (killer shoulders!), and totally worth it.
I ended up with a 1970 with rear bath and a LOT less closet space, but I plan on building it in. I thought it was worth it for the vista views ; )
SeasideSteph is offline   Reply With Quote