Old 09-12-2002, 07:08 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

All very good advice you guys, muddling though it may be. Moe, the only real fault I can find in your thinking is that the real reason solar hasn't caught on had got to have something to do with lack of support for solar research. I know for a fact that there are a lot of big industries out there with good reason to keep alternative energies squashed into a back corner somewhere. A generator is probably the best idea for me right now (or in the near future) but I think solar has loads of untapped potential. That's my eco-political diatribe for the moment, and I think I'll probably follow that last bit of advice and hit the road, then decide as I go what is really necessary.

The real problem I'm dealing with today is the loss of my motorcycle. The mechanic called and gave me some sound advice... buy a new one. And I'm running out of time. I just can't get that picture out of my head. The big diesel truck pulling the Silver Twinkie, the motorcycle in the bed of the truck and me waving goodbye. The picture just doesn't look the same without the bike. I'm also getting a lot of flak from certain quarters about how I shouldn't be trying to take a bike in and out of a truck by myself... the same guy who said I'd never learn to back up a trailer, I might add.

I guess I'll go out and pack a few things into the trailer, that'll cheer me up.

Thanks... Loopy

Old 09-12-2002, 08:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Sorry to hear about your scoot, Cheryl. What is it? We have two, a Road King and a Sportster, but I don't think I'll try to carry both AND pull the trailer. Maybe just the Road King (750 lbs) since we can two-up on it. We have a 4WD, so it's up in the air quite a bit... meaning we need a long ramp. I've looked at these:

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcyclehd_ramps.htm

at the dealer expo, and they looked pretty well constructed. I liked the arch that keeps low bikes from dragging where the ramp meets the tailgate. The 120" model would be best for a tall truck.

Sure you can manage it. Use the engine to get it up the ramp slowly and the brake to back it down.

Old 09-12-2002, 08:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Sorry to hear about your bike - but - on the brighter side of things - if you go without - you will find one on your travels.

To comment on your "what to pack".

1. Hose Clamps (in My first 30 days I have already had to fix several pipes that sprung leaks at connections etc..)

2. Assortment of bungie cords - ON my trip I noticed certain cabinet doors etc would not stay shut.

3. Duct Tape

4. A wide arrangement of tools.

5. PLenty of extra fuses...check your fuse panel box -I went without lights for days until I could find the fuses I needed)

6. Definately a Tote-a-Tank for areas where full hook-ups can't be had...
Old 09-12-2002, 08:44 PM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Cherly,

If a set of tooling around with the wind in your hair wheels is what you want, you could just get a 50, 80 or 250 CC honda scooter. Small enough to load alone, and fast enought to get a few thrills, while not projecting a "Biker" image. The new 50 cc ones that look like a vespa go for Approx 1600.00 MSRP. with a warranty. I think the 50 CC ones are limited to around 40 MPH. The 250 CC one will do close to 75MPH.

You may also want to try it without for a while and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal. It is amazing the price differences for the same thing in diffrent parts of the country.

Fulltiming changes your perspective, the way I looked at it was the US east of the missisipi was my front yard and the US west was my back yard. Just because it would take a week to get somewhere, did it really matter how long or how many miles it was? Fulltiming means the trip getting there can be as much fun, or more than the destination.

Last thought. If you have everthing you need before you leave you will not have a quest to find the_________. That one thing you have been looking for, or need to make your travels better. I am not avocating unpreparedness, but as I tell my customers "all the lights cannot be green before you go forward" there will be stops and starts in every journey/project/experience.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:06 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, Moe You are a dream- just what I've been looking for.. the ramps, I mean.

And Jody, you're right about finding a bike on my travels. There are definitely cheaper places in the country than the Northwest, and hopefully more time to look around for a good buy, too. Just hate to leave town without a bike in the back, seems wrong somehow. Well, maybe I'll order the ramp and something will roll up in the meantime.

Moe, my bike, Ghost, was an '86 450 Honda Rebel. If you haven't seen one, they're a low-rider type. They're making new ones now but they're not the same. The old ones are hard to find, and they throw the starter clutch, which is what happened to mine. The mechanic, who is a great guy, said around $1900 to fix it all and put it all back together in about two weeks when I'm planning on leaving in one week. Also, she's not exactly low miles and pretty beat up, mostly from abuse before I bought her and some from me. I would be a lot better off buying a newer bike, he recommended a Yamaha Virago 250, which he thinks is a good bike, same kind of style, and lighter for loading in the truck, although you loading a 750 gives me some of my shaken confidence back. Of course, if you pull the bike off the ramp on top of you, the wife is there to call for help. I've found that the cat is not usually very helpful in an emergency. I think that's why I've got people telling me not to take a bike. They've seen the kind of trouble I can get in just trying to carry three items up three stairs.

So, I guess I'll go have a requiem for Ghost. Tomorrow's another day, probably with more unforeseen hitches to keep me from leaving town on time.

Brett, your reply just came in.. you guys are all so INSPIRING and SUPPORTIVE! I'll just ignore what you said about the 50cc, though. This is a biker you're talking to. Even getting a 250 feels awfully wimpy to me. After a while driving a big slug of a diesel truck, I know that I'll just want to lock the cat in the trailer and head out for a ride where I can take the corners FAST. (Not too fast, though. Remember that the cat's bad in an emergency.)
Old 09-12-2002, 09:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Cheryl,
My wife, Barbie's sister had a 450 Rebel... until some old lady hit it and dragged it down the street a few hundred feet until she realized it was there. It's impossible to find parts for them, since they're so much less common than the 250 version.

We just sold Barbie's '99 Virago 250 two weeks ago. What a sweet little bike! It was perfect for her at 4'10" but my lard a** could ride it as well. She could keep up with me at 85 mph and it got 80 mpg. Everytime I'd fill the RK with 4 gal, she took 2. It had "the look" raked out front end, teardrop tank, mini-ape bars, forward controls, stepped seat, staggered dual exhausts on the right side, wire wheels with fat tire in back and skinny one up front, metalflake black paint, and most importantly, a V-twin engine. She'd added a bit of chrome here and there, including a rack, as well as fringed saddlebags and fork bag. A prof where I work had been waiting a year for her to sell it. At 300 lbs, it would be a piece 'o cake to load/unload. I'd sure recommend one if you can find one.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Maurice,
If the area I camp at had electricity I would love to hook up and run the AC full time during the Sept. and Oct. fluctuating weather in TN. One year it was 14 degrees on opening day of the bow season for deer and the high the next day was 88 degrees. Unfortunately the area I camp does not offer elec. but has running water. The camping is free and they allow a campfire so that you can sit around and tell stories at the end of the day. I am stuck with 12 v. DC and have been impressed with the 2 Delco Voyager 105 amp hr. batteries that are almost 1 1/2 yrs. old now. I have to admit that it does become unbearable inside during a hot afternoon so I put a cot under the awning and take a nap to recharge for the afternoon hunt. This would be a great time for a large enough generator to run the AC. If I did that, I would probably want it more and more. Lack of money prevents me from going farther into solar or the generators for awhile. I am just glad I have the Airstream to stay in.

Another area I hunt in has a campground which charges $27 per night and I wish it was cheaper. I stayed there last year for an early Oct. hunt and didn't have to run the AC or the furnace. I could have boondocked near the ranger station for free.

Cheryl, I've stayed in tents of various sizes and shapes while involved in outdoor activities since my boy scout days. I have camped out in a tent steadily from '77 until May '01. At 50 yrs. old at that time, I told myself that I had had enough of sleeping on a cot inside a tent. It was TT time and that TT was an Airstream. It was a step upwards but I find myself being very conservative with the battery power until I find just how far I can go with it. As I get older, I am sure that I will look for those areas that provide me with all the 110 v. power I need to make things more comfortable for me. You will quickly find what works for you and what you (and your cat) must have to be comfortable. Good luck on your trip.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:15 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Sorry, motorcycles again

Moe, why don't you just tell that prof that he might look a little more manly on a larger bike. You might try to work the word girlie into the conversation. Tell him you could probably get him his money back if he finds something slightly studlier. Do you mind my asking how much he paid? I just would like to know about what they're going for. I just looked on ebay to see if I could find a picture of one and there was a '96 750 going for $3000. It looked real nice... and that's a lot of money.

Craig, Tennessee is one of the places where I really want to spend some time. Is there a time of year you recommend? Perhaps when the weather isn't so schizophrenic? Actually, what am I saying, I love crazy weather. I just really want to spend some time in the Smokies.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:21 AM   #37
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
A good information sight

Cheryl,
I found a sight that has given me great insight on full timing.. I have followed his travel for the last couple of years and he is now off traveling and is working.. He list all his travel and picture and what it cost per year and what his repairs how he got into full timing it is a very informative signt. He is not airstream but it informative..

My wife and I will be hitting the road after the first of the year for a couple of months and the sometime next year a trip around the USA..

http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/index.htm
Old 09-13-2002, 10:18 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Cheryl,
TN. weather is always crazy. The last several nights have been cool but the days are still in the high 80's. I can find a few websites regarding the Smokies if you want. I think I still have some info around about Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge, etc. Oct. and Nov. are nice months to visit the area for nature walks; however, you have to put up with extreme bumper to bumper traffic in October. Post a question for those who have been in the area during this time period or do a Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge, or Smoky Mountain forum search because some members have talked about the terrible traffic. Some have also discussed campground comparisons for the area also.

I forgot, Cades Cove is a must see so add that to your search.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 09-13-2002, 04:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Pigeon Forge, TN.

Cheryl,
I missed a mini rally at Pigeon Forge June 10-14 of this year. There were 7 trailers scheduled to meet. One person did the research of all the campgrounds in the area as far as price and ammenities. If you go to www.yahoo.com, click on groups then do a search for airstream2, join it, then you will see message #650 & 652 where the different campgrounds are mentioned. The group elected to stay at Claybough's Campground & Market, 405 Wears Valley Rd. , Pigeon Forge, TN. 37863 1-800-965-8524 for $23 per night. Ron Russell was their contact person there. I posted questions as to activities they like best and if they liked the campground. The participants had a great time according to their posts. One of the members, Silvertwinky, has been to Pigeon Forge and would be a good contact for you. Their board is rather slow so you may need to email him after you join. Look for posts by t_legrats, hp9d, kathn45, and silvertwinky.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 09-13-2002, 08:02 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Cheryl,
He paid $2,850 but it was low miles and had $1K in accessories. I've seen them for $1,800 a few years older and with a few more miles.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Correction

Davez71,
the site on yahoo is : airstreamdotcom2
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airstreamdotcom2
nice to see you~
ciao
T7
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 07:27 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Honda EU2000i

My new Honda EU2000i just came this week! It runs everything, including the AC on low. (But nothing else at the same time). I put a clamp on ammeter, and it reads 13 amps (1550 watts)with the AC on low. I did not push it by going to Hi on the fan. With the fridge and the converter running with a few lights and the tv on, we were running well under 10 amps. I think this will be fine for us. We survived this hot summer boondocking a few times without AC, but it would have been nice to "take the edge off" those times with air. BTW, I ordered mine from Mayberry's, got it about $175 less than the local dealer wanted.

Cheryl, (or anyone else for that matter)if you are passing through on I90, East of Cleveland, you are welcome to stay for a few days, or overnight, we are just 2 miles south at the RT44 interchange. We have a farm market across the road from our house, you can park there. It even has a 30 amp RV outlet.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote