Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Of course you are welcome to your opinion. But I think there are better ways to state your point without ridiculing someone else's opinion.

Obviously, some of us are interested in this topic. I guess you are not.
Wait a minute, he demeaned my comment first, I was just responding to him. We can do this here, I think. I think a pit toilet us a rediculous idea and stated that, and he replied that I offered nothing to the discussion. No where is it stated one must agree with every new idea posted here. Lighten up. See post number thirty.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Yeah I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Wait a minute, he demeaned my comment first, I was just responding to him. We can do this here, I think. I think a pit toilet us a rediculous idea and stated that, and he replied that I offered nothing to the discussion. No where is it stated one must agree with every new idea posted here. Lighten up. See post number thirty.
I've seen some threads where people were treated like " trolls " for disagreeing. I don't understand why composting toilets should be a controversial topic though.

On the other hand, " Lighten up", " ridiculous ", " another hipster idea " are all very dismissive comments.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, you've just proven my point. Lighten up!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Additional freshwater tank/composting toilet

What exactly do you do with the waste when you are on the road?

Give it away?

"Ya see, I have a few pounds of composed human waste, would you like this for your garden"?

I would likely say "thanks anyway but no".

Dumpster? Trash can? Dump it in the desert or the forest?

Save it and take it home?

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

And obviously…..

You have missed mine
Old 11-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Good point. it's sounds disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

Give it away?

"Ya see, I have a few pounds of composed human waste, would you like this for your garden"?

Some put the dried solid waste into a dumpster, or trash can right next to the soiled diapers. Some sprinkle it into the soil next to deer, bear, and dog pooh.

The micro organisms in soil eat it up and render it harmless in no time. Just as it does the millions of pounds of rubber that wears off of tires annually. Heck the ground will eat up a hunk of metal if it's buried long enough.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
And again you just made my point. Let's get over this and talk about why anyone would want to haul human waste around in their trailer for weeks at a time.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

And again you have missed mine, Drop it

Back to the topic. Most all of us have human waste in our trailers. These are boon dockers that are using the composting toilets. No dump stations are available.
No matter what kind of toilet they have,,,they would be carrying human waste around for weeks.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Fwiw, chlorine bleach renders black tank waste to all but odorless....

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #50
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Cool Whateverz

Quote:
Thanks, I try my best to bring these rediculous ideas down to earth, I'm welcome to my opinion, as you are. Don't get pissed, use your pee bottle....

Wait a minute, he demeaned my comment first, I was just responding to him. We can do this here, I think. I think a pit toilet us a rediculous idea and stated that, and he replied that I offered nothing to the discussion. No where is it stated one must agree with every new idea posted here. Lighten up. See post number thirty.....

..... Let's get over this and talk about why anyone would want to haul human waste around in their trailer for weeks at a time.
It's spelled RIDIULOUS. I included the smiley, to indicate I was using sarcasm.

You can think it's ridiculous. Fine and dandy, doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
On the other hand, " Lighten up", " ridiculous ", " another hipster idea " are all very dismissive comments.
And to answer your question, what do you think is in your black tank when you haul that around?

I think we already established that one would want to do so because of the positive environmental impact, benefits for extended boondocking and convince of not dumping as often.

As someone who is full-time and traveling around the country, I can tell you sometimes you stay in a National Park and there isn't a dump station for miles and miles around. It limits your stay.

Quote:

Give it away?

"Ya see, I have a few pounds of composted human waste, would you like this for your garden"?

The Wynns made a video discussing this, and stated that with the pet, it's compost so if you are boondocking or something you can just dispose of it in the woods.

Also, apparently they make/sell these compost bags that decompose and you can simply empty it into that and throw in the trash too. It's completely safe after it's been decomposed.

So disposal of that is actually simple. For me, the pee seems more difficult if you're say dry camping at a developed campground with a camp host but no pit toilets. Gotta walk somewhere and empty your bottle. I mean maybe it's easy.

But we just dry camped for 21 days and had to dump once. There is a dump here, but there is no way we could of stayed put for so long if we were boondocking.

PS: I'm ragging so hard, I need to lighten up.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #51
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicdetour View Post
BoldAdventure- We've got the Nature's Head in our 27fb international. Plenty of room for the toilet and the ventilation piping. I think we have a few pics at The Airstream Conversion | EPIC DETOUR
I will say the plastic rim doesn't feel as "nice" to sit on as a regular toilet seat, and I'm not sure how it would work with the two little bottoms in your AS once they are out of diapers. Easy enough to use a separate potty for them I guess!
We use sphagnum peat moss, no fuss and you don't have to prep it or mix it with water. It's super easy to clean. We've been on the road since 9/12 and have only emptied the solids twice!!
Either way it's all good. Not sure why some people are getting fussy on this topic. ��
You actually don't have any photos of your toilet on your blog. But good to know about the 27fb International.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
It's spelled RIDIULOUS. I included the smiley, to indicate I was using sarcasm.

You can think it's ridiculous. Fine and dandy, doesn't bother me.

And to answer your question, what do you think is in your black tank when you haul that around?

I think we already established that one would want to do so because of the positive environmental impact, benefits for extended boondocking and convince of not dumping as often.

As someone who is full-time and traveling around the country, I can tell you sometimes you stay in a National Park and there isn't a dump station for miles and miles around. It limits your stay.

The Wynns made a video discussing this, and stated that with the pet, it's compost so if you are boondocking or something you can just dispose of it in the woods.

Also, apparently they make/sell these compost bags that decompose and you can simply empty it into that and throw in the trash too. It's completely safe after it's been decomposed.

So disposal of that is actually simple. For me, the pee seems more difficult if you're say dry camping at a developed campground with a camp host but no pit toilets. Gotta walk somewhere and empty your bottle. I mean maybe it's easy.

But we just dry camped for 21 days and had to dump once. There is a dump here, but there is no way we could of stayed put for so long if we were boondocking.

PS: I'm ragging so hard, I need to lighten up.
You are correct on the spelling. Wonder why spellcheck missed it? Or is it wander and mist?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Where do people put fresh diapers loaded up with baby squeezins?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:

None of these points justifies a in the trailer pit toilet to the vast majority of Airstreamers. Another hipster idea.
Hey, I'm just flattered you think I'm young enough to be a 'hipster'! But, to my way of thinking, unless you're hooked up directly to a sewage system, all RV toilets are in essence 'pit toilets' (waste stored inside the vehicle) that need to be manually dumped. The only difference is whether you'd rather handle liquid waste or solid when doing so.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Additional freshwater tank/composting toilet

Not mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448128071.046532.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	252603

Mine is plumbed and has a trap.

Brevi tempore!

I will get in front of this one, it is eight big flushes to a full tank, which works out fine for my usage. Plus, when emptying I prefer the solid waste a bit less solid, and a bit more dilute.

The toilet costs about $100, I can afford a few nights in a campground vs. the cost of a composting toilet.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #56
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Its composted at that point so it's safe to throw away in the trash/dumpster.

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How fast does it compost?

Do you have to "stir the pot"?

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #58
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Where do people put fresh diapers loaded up with baby squeezins?
It's called a Diaper Genie, locks in odor, stuff them in, cut the bag and toss it.

We used to use cloth diapers, and we know two couples full timing still using them, I just can't even.

Quote:
How fast does it compost?

Do you have to "stir the pot"?
Looks like one should turn the handle a few times after each use.

The cost is certainly prohibitive, IMO. I get that it's this big complete unit. But it's almost twice the cost of say upgrading to 4 golf cart batteries or buying two solar panels. It's close to the cost of a Macbook Air to put that into perspective.

I'd think if the companies could get these down under $500 they might sell more to more people. But that's just my opinion.

I think we're still interested. Just have to decide if the cost/benefit works for us.

Spending $1000 on a poop shot is a serious commitment. Would hate to get it, and find out I hate it 3 months later.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
You actually don't have any photos of your toilet on your blog. But good to know about the 27fb International.
Mike- Well shoot. I looked and you're right. 😵 Sorry about that. I do have photos so if you are interested in the future I'd be happy to email them.

We are super interested in your lithium battery install, keep us posted on how it goes!
Elizabeth
epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
None of these points justifies a in the trailer pit toilet to the vast majority of Airstreamers. Another hipster idea.
Obviously the composting toilets are of interest, otherwise they wouldn't be being discussed in this and other threads on this forum. If a topic isn't of interest to you, maybe you should just pass it by, rather than make disparaging comments about the people who do use these toilets.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote