Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #113
3 Rivet Member
Toronto , Ontario
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Now my question:
How do you "combine" the gray and black water tanks? We also have a 27 FB Int'l.
Check out this YouTube video from the Wynn's. They have a composting toilet and combined the grey/black tanks easily.

Ray and Vida
Toronto ON Canada
- - - - - - - - - - - -
2017 Sport 22FB; WBCCI #6497
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #114
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Thanks for the info. I like being able to change back to a standard RV toilet setup. Resale value.

We've now been boondocking a few months at 7300 ft. this summer. 53 deg.F this morning. We've worked out most of our off-grid requirements now. 200 watts solar, Honda 2000, mobile hot-spot, Wilson amp, iPhone. One of us ( not me) is working 30 hours a week on the internet as a software consultant. We are about 30 miles from the nearest town, six miles from the nearest pavement. We have a 45 gallon flexible water bladder that we fill when we're in town, or sometimes from a nearby (3 miles) neighbor. It takes up very little room when we store it, and fits into a plywood frame I built into the bed of the pickup truck when we transport it. Stable at highway speeds.

For transferring from the vinyl "water bed" truck tank into the 27FB, I bought a 12volt water pump, 3gpm. from camping/RV store, 20 ft. of two conductor wire, two alligator clips, and a toggle switch from ACE hardware, and I crimp-lugged all that to the pump. So I can power it from the battery box, or the pickup truck, using the alligator clips. I cut a white water hose about six ft. from one end and placed the pump in-line there. So the 3 gpm pump will fill the 30 gallon RV tank in ten minutes.

(This setup would empty one of those five gallon tanks in 90 seconds, by the way, without having to ever lift the full tank.)

We just recently bought a "leg tank" from a Farm/Home style store that sits on the ground and holds 35 gallons. So now we can ferry water when convenient, and store more than another trailerful in the rotomolded tank. I bought a particle/carbon water filter that uses standard Camco cartridges, and put that on the output side of the pump. So all transported and stored water runs through fine particle and carbon filters before going into the trailer tank. I'm no longer known as the water Nazi. (Still called the amp Nazi, though)

The pump also serves as an emergency spare for the trailer's 4 gph water pump, which I've already replaced once. Same fittings. quick swap. The roto-molded leg-tank will fit in the bed of the pickup truck and is easy to transport and store. Only weighs a few pounds empty and impervious to weather.

We're on private land and can drain gray water into gopher holes all day and it disappears instantly into thirsty dirt. So our limiting factor is the black water tank. We have to haul the trailer to town every couple of weeks to dump the tank. KOA charges $ 20 to dump, but we spend another $20 and hook up for the night. Watch some cable TV. Do the laundry, grocery shopping. But KOA : boondocking :: marinas : remote anchorages.

I just realized we have not seen another human being since last Sunday. Today is Thursday. We like that.

A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Gringo excellent post with great ideas.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #116
1 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
seattle , Washington
flexible water bladder

I've been having trouble getting info on replacing my fresh water tank for my 1978 31' as it is under the sub floor (and this is where I want to put it). I do plan to replace the sub floor, just not for a few weeks and am trying to get the total budget together.

I've called several places and just not getting an answer on this. I've got a rear bath. The service manual has a picture of the tank, just no dimensions.

Your flexible bladder sounds intriguing. Do you think something like that would be able to be installed under the sub floor? (with adequate insulation so it doesn't pop!)

I just want to get all my reconnaissance behind me so I can dive in and finish the project on schedule (including the invariable setbacks
stephseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #117
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
This is the flexible tank we bought last spring:
It's basically identical to a water bed mattress in construction, fairly heavy gauge vinyl, a vent and a fill spout. It's also heavy when it's full. I've used the patch kit twice on ours, but it's been living in the back of a pickup truck and getting scuffed up. I think it would last a long time in a soft, protected and structurally supportive box. I built a plywood frame for this one in the bed of the truck. The solar panels fit into the same space.
And it's vinyl. Can be easily patched and welded.

A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote