Old 11-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Ya know, he may be on to something

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
That's the reason one needs two pit toilets. One to use while the other is composting.
You could use a porta potti in between " cycles ". Might make a good back up as well.

I have conventional toilet/blacktank….but often bring the porta potti as back up on long trips

Old 11-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Or a five gallon bucket with a trash bag?

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #73
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Or a five gallon bucket with a trash bag?
I've heard of this as a 'go to' for some and 'backup' for others. when you gotta go you gotta go.

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #74
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Say you use the toilet daily to the 89th day, and on day 90 you dump it, is the "fresh stuff" composted or kinda not composted?
I actually have the same question. I am guessing with my camping & outback experience it should not pose no more problem than a dog or deer pooping in a spot once. The rest is composted. The directions indicate that you can empty if full before it's composted & let it more fully compost if you like (assuming you have a spot for this).

I'll call them tomorrow (i think it's larry) & report back tomorrow on this J Morgan.

dave
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #75
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
These super long durations of dumping are the most appealing aspect to me, right behind the environmental aspect. Might go on the upgrades wish list.
Definitely consider it. I'm the only one using mine so that may be the reason i can go so long before emptying #2 base at 3+mos. after the first 'batch' you should be able to accelerate and keep the process going since you dont rinse, you keep the same established bacteria doing it's thing from the sidewalls and beaters.

it definitely reduces and reduces.

the #1 jug is big, i'm emptying it 3-5 days at a time and dont find it a chore. I did however once not pay attention to the level and overfilled it and made a mess...lesson learned.

cheers
dave
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Additional freshwater tank/composting toilet

The live-aboards we know who use them typically have a secondary storage container that they empty it into to allow the composting to complete. You can get them from the supplier or just seal it in a garbage bag if you're doing it on the cheap. I'm sure this'll be a hit with those already squeamish with these toilets!

We don't live-aboard, so we've never had to go this route, which I'm happy about--if I wanted to deal with raw poo I'd just get a black tank!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #77
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
You can get them from the supplier or just seal it in a garbage bag if you're doing it on the cheap. I'm sure this'll be a hit with those already squeamish with these toilets!
yep, that's what i figured, i was a little a little squeamish at first when doing my first 'dump' but no poop, just compost-imagine that.
I'll post what i hear from the manny tomorrow about 'recent' poop and emptying it.

dave
Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Found a coupon code for $25 off. Larry is pretty good to deal with. Even though I ordered on Sunday, he sent me a UPS tracking number pretty quickly. I figure it will be here on Wednesday.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Bold adventure, it will be interesting to see your report if you buy one. You seem to be the type of owner that will use one to its capability. You look at things logically and objectively and will give it a good test. Others seem more interested in the environmental part rather than the realistic utilitarian daily use of the toilet. Will be looking for your comments. Good camping, be safe.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #80
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Found a coupon code for $25 off. Larry is pretty good to deal with. Even though I ordered on Sunday, he sent me a UPS tracking number pretty quickly. I figure it will be here on Wednesday.
Cool! If you would like any install tips about how i put mine in let me know. Also after using mine for 5 mos. I'm concidering a second liquid container, I've found myself a couple times in the middle of the night with a full container and gotta go. Just keep a heads up on that-you might want a backup jug.

MY NATURES HEAD INSTALL

Dave
Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #81
Rivet Master

For me…it's very important to consider both sides

#1 Convenience - It's kind of a toss up, as far as the pain in the neck category. Probably depends on the places you camp. Dump stations are hardly ever close by for me. If you can wait until you get home to compost, and you have a big yard, then I'd give the edge to the Composting toilet. But at a music festival, finding a place to put compost would be very difficult. Any kind of dumping is probably the most unpleasant part about camping.

#2 Boondocking - Composting wins out because you don't waste water flushing.

#3 Environmental issues - For me the jury is out. Does the pooh compost quick enough? What about the most recent " addition " to the mix ? Is composted pooh that smells like dirt as safe as dirt? Will people without experience dump too soon or in an irresponsible location?

Water is NEEDED for city plumbing and septic tanks. It's BAD for outhouses, which are basically a composting toilet. The statistics show that the majority of water uses are for washing, and we flush more than we drink.

#4 Money - Would there be any savings if buying a new camper with a composting toilet, because it's a way simpler build ????? The cost of switching over, and modifications, are a big turn off.

In summary…I think the environmental issue, is the only one which should be controversial. The rest is all personal, depending on how you camp, and how much disposable income you have.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #82
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
#1 Convenience - It's kind of a toss up, as far as the pain in the neck category. But at a music festival, finding a place to put compost would be very difficult. Any kind of dumping is probably the most unpleasant part about camping.
dave, i emptied mine for the first time after 3mos and wasnt grossed out as i had expected to be. it can be put in a kitchen trash bag and put in a dumpster or trash or emptied in a wooded area or garden safely at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
#3 Environmental issues - For me the jury is out. Does the pooh compost quick enough? What about the most recent " addition " to the mix ? Is composted pooh that smells like dirt as safe as dirt? Will people without experience dump too soon or in an irresponsible location?
dave, i talked with NH today and evidently the newest addition will continue to compost and told any harmful bacteria will die within 8-10hrs outside of the body-the thing that is different than a black tank is that urine is not in the mix (that's what creates a sewage biohazard). as for 'safe as dirt' it's only recommended to be used on non-edible plants and garden stuff. for too soon, if put in a bag it will continue to finish composting.

again, i dont have any experience with a black tank or what is involved in maintenance, dumping, frequency, level of convenience. I can say with my NH, i empty the #1 jug about 3-4days and the #2 composting base after 3mos of use.

dave
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
Cool! If you would like any install tips about how i put mine in let me know. Also after using mine for 5 mos. I'm concidering a second liquid container, I've found myself a couple times in the middle of the night with a full container and gotta go. Just keep a heads up on that-you might want a backup jug.

MY NATURES HEAD INSTALL

Dave
I have 2 questions right now. Once I remove the current toilet what can I use to plug up the hole into the tank. Then will I need to put something under the new toilet like a piece of wood or something to get the floor flat. I don't know if there is a floor flange or something.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Or….

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I have 2 questions right now. Once I remove the current toilet what can I use to plug up the hole into the tank. Then will I need to put something under the new toilet like a piece of wood or something to get the floor flat. I don't know if there is a floor flange or something.

You could screw ( and caulk ) a thin piece of wood, plastic, or stainless steel over the hole, or the whole mounting surface. A one step solution.