Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #81
Rivet Master

For me…it's very important to consider both sides

#1 Convenience - It's kind of a toss up, as far as the pain in the neck category. Probably depends on the places you camp. Dump stations are hardly ever close by for me. If you can wait until you get home to compost, and you have a big yard, then I'd give the edge to the Composting toilet. But at a music festival, finding a place to put compost would be very difficult. Any kind of dumping is probably the most unpleasant part about camping.

#2 Boondocking - Composting wins out because you don't waste water flushing.

#3 Environmental issues - For me the jury is out. Does the pooh compost quick enough? What about the most recent " addition " to the mix ? Is composted pooh that smells like dirt as safe as dirt? Will people without experience dump too soon or in an irresponsible location?

Water is NEEDED for city plumbing and septic tanks. It's BAD for outhouses, which are basically a composting toilet. The statistics show that the majority of water uses are for washing, and we flush more than we drink.

#4 Money - Would there be any savings if buying a new camper with a composting toilet, because it's a way simpler build ????? The cost of switching over, and modifications, are a big turn off.

In summary…I think the environmental issue, is the only one which should be controversial. The rest is all personal, depending on how you camp, and how much disposable income you have.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #82
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
#1 Convenience - It's kind of a toss up, as far as the pain in the neck category. But at a music festival, finding a place to put compost would be very difficult. Any kind of dumping is probably the most unpleasant part about camping.
dave, i emptied mine for the first time after 3mos and wasnt grossed out as i had expected to be. it can be put in a kitchen trash bag and put in a dumpster or trash or emptied in a wooded area or garden safely at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
#3 Environmental issues - For me the jury is out. Does the pooh compost quick enough? What about the most recent " addition " to the mix ? Is composted pooh that smells like dirt as safe as dirt? Will people without experience dump too soon or in an irresponsible location?
dave, i talked with NH today and evidently the newest addition will continue to compost and told any harmful bacteria will die within 8-10hrs outside of the body-the thing that is different than a black tank is that urine is not in the mix (that's what creates a sewage biohazard). as for 'safe as dirt' it's only recommended to be used on non-edible plants and garden stuff. for too soon, if put in a bag it will continue to finish composting.

again, i dont have any experience with a black tank or what is involved in maintenance, dumping, frequency, level of convenience. I can say with my NH, i empty the #1 jug about 3-4days and the #2 composting base after 3mos of use.

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
Cool! If you would like any install tips about how i put mine in let me know. Also after using mine for 5 mos. I'm concidering a second liquid container, I've found myself a couple times in the middle of the night with a full container and gotta go. Just keep a heads up on that-you might want a backup jug.

MY NATURES HEAD INSTALL

Dave
I have 2 questions right now. Once I remove the current toilet what can I use to plug up the hole into the tank. Then will I need to put something under the new toilet like a piece of wood or something to get the floor flat. I don't know if there is a floor flange or something.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Or….

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I have 2 questions right now. Once I remove the current toilet what can I use to plug up the hole into the tank. Then will I need to put something under the new toilet like a piece of wood or something to get the floor flat. I don't know if there is a floor flange or something.

You could screw ( and caulk ) a thin piece of wood, plastic, or stainless steel over the hole, or the whole mounting surface. A one step solution.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #85
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Pretty sure they sell a toilet flange cap at home depot.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #86
Rivet Master

high jacking alert

I wonder if the " stuff " composts better, outside in the elements, or buried.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Pretty sure they sell a toilet flange cap at home depot.

Thanks BA, I had seen that picture before but couldn't find it.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Can we get back to the topic at hand and start another thread on internet etiquette?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #89
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Can we get back to the topic at hand and start another thread on internet etiquette?
Good idea. Mod hat on...

Folks, a number of posts have been removed from this thread that run afoul of the intent of our user agreement regarding civility.

Please remember: Stay on topic, state your opinion POLITELY and then move on. Others are entitled to their opinions and may not agree with you but this is no reason for snarky responses.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #90
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Final question, does one need to always sit to go #1 - is that preferred?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Can't speak to Nature's Head, but you can stand for #1 with an Airhead. The bowl slopes towards the pee drain and the flap over the composting section is air and liquid tight. I give it a spritz with a spray bottle of diluted vinegar and it's good to go!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 AM   #92
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Final question, does one need to always sit to go #1 - is that preferred?
I stand and dont have issues, there's 2 holes in the front of the toilet to play the 'aim game'.

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
At Home Depot/Lowes in plumbing they sell a plug for pic pipe (it is used for testing for leaks) you hold it in opening and tighten. One I got has big wing nut, I put on a regular nut so it didn't stick up as far. On water supply, I put on a valve and added a spray hose like on a sink.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
At Home Depot/Lowes in plumbing they sell a plug for pic pipe (it is used for testing for leaks) you hold it in opening and tighten. One I got has big wing nut, I put on a regular nut so it didn't stick up as far. On water supply, I put on a valve and added a spray hose like on a sink.
Brilliant! Thanks...[emoji1]
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #95
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Ok, I lied, one more question. I take it that the "trap door" is larger than the trap on a normal RV toilet. So everything always goes down the hole right?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Airhead sells paper liners you put down prior do doing your business (they look like coffee filters). They cost something in the neighborhood of $4 for a pack of 50. They (like TP) go down the hatch when you're done and are composted, too.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
My Nature's Head was delivered today. Looking forward to next spring even more now.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #98
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Can I come poop in someone's composting toilet?

Just kidding.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks BA, I had seen that picture before but couldn't find it.
That's my pic!!! 😁 We bought the cap at Lowes.
epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicdetour View Post
That's my pic!!! [emoji16] We bought the cap at Lowes.

I bought the same cap. What did you use under the toilet to get past the flange?