Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I'm sure the EPA and others would blast me

Grey water is not toxic. It's water that was in your mouth, on your face, on the plates that you were just eating on, and for me, some biodegradable soap. Letting grey water trickle on the ground, as you use it, yields no odor, and the ground soaks it right up. Micro organisms eat it up in short order. On my 10+ acre farm, I have used greywater to water my lawn that a dozen type of wild animals pooh on daily. I realize that practice would be devastating in densely populated areas. But cows across the road drop a deuce 40 feet from my kitchen. Bears pooh 10 feet from my apple trees. I am NOT condoning anything in campgrounds, state, local, federal or public lands.

But if you let greywater sit in your tank for a few days, it turns into a foul substance. I know because a pumping truck had a mishap on my campsite. I was very upset and resigned myself into relocating. The pumping truck operator watered down the spill and in 15 minutes, there was no evidence. It would be really bad if a few dozen campers dropped " saved up " greywater at the same time, at the end of their weekend. Large quantities dumped all at once would puddle and smell to high heaven. Food stuffs that people put down their drain is another reason why greywater is a problem.

I have heard of boon dockers in the desert who drained greywater into a blow up kiddie pool, let it evaporate, and it supposedly cooled off their campsite. The method included sweeping up the soap powder left in the pool and putting it in the garbage.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Exactly the info I was after

Thanks. Those were the considerations I needed to hear. We are experienced hikers and campers, but not RV'rs. I think I can live with the composting toilet, and I'll take the advice to not rush into any new tanks for the time being until I see exactly how quickly we fill the black vs. gray, etc.

We are looking to purchase in the March/April time frame and will be spending the season locally at a riverside campground that has no sewer hookups, but a dumpstation and honey wagons to borrow. We'll winter in an apartment or airbnb, and repeat that for a couple years until I retire. I don't know how much travel/boondocking we'll actually undertake for the first year or so. But it's nice to have all this experienced advice to think about while we figure it all out.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Nikki & Jason Wynn (Gone With the Wynns on TouTube) have done just that (albeit in a Class A motorhome). I understand that they're VERY happy with the results. Check out the video they did on this topic on their YouTube Channel.

Gone With the Wynns
Old 11-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
We've been using a Natures Head Composting Toilet for the last year (about 110 nights, 70 boon docking). We would rather boondock and it works well for us. Installation does not have to be permanent. I mounted ours on a piece of 3/4" plywood. After taking out the blackwater toilet I put a drain plug in the old toilet hole. Then mounted plywood over the plugged up hole. Could easily go backwards to black tank.

Poo begins composting quickly in peet moss which is the starting material in the toilet, does not stink. There is a handle that stirs the "mixture", you use it each time you use toilet. Pee can begin to smell. After a hint on the Natures Head web site we start each new "batch" of pee with 2 cups of vinegar. No more smell. Dumping of pee can sometimes be a hassle.

With black water tank sealed it is easy to use for an extra grey water tank. On our Avion the tanks empty into a common drain the "stinky slinky goes on. with the common valve closed I just open each tanks valve and they equalize. There is a few cups of water that spill when you open the common drain cover to drain.

If you don't boondocks often I wouldn't bother. If you do, its really handy.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Kilroy, I like the idea of how you mounted the toilet, and the extra gray. We won't be boondocking much for awhile, but that set up could certainly be handy at the campground we're scouting. I've been leery of the composter, but my wife says it's happening and I guess that's that.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndWind View Post
Kilroy, I like the idea of how you mounted the toilet, and the extra gray. We won't be boondocking much for awhile, but that set up could certainly be handy at the campground we're scouting. I've been leery of the composter, but my wife says it's happening and I guess that's that.
Forgot to mention that I needed to cut a hole in the middle of the plywood to clear the flange.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
We have the Nature's Head composting toilet in our Airstream and LOVE it. Doug calls it the "ace in the hole" and then we make other jokes off that. Haha.

Is it gross to empty urine from a jug or solids from the compartment? Sure, but having a tank full of sewage sloshing under you is gross too. The toilet has no odor. Its awesome. It was easy to install for the most part. We have a little info about it on our blog,
http://www.epicdetour/com/the-airstream-conversion/

We also considered replacing the black tank with a fresh water tank and still may do that someday. For now we have been overwhelmed with being new full-timers and all the mods to our tow vehicle and airstream.

I say go for it!!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
More Love for the Nature's Head

We've been on the road for almost 4 months with our Nature's Head and can say that we'd never go back to a traditional RV toilet/black tank. It's easy to use, there's no smell, and no sewage. Another big bonus for those of us who mostly dry camp/boondock is conservation of fresh water, as there is no flushing with a composting toilet.

Like Kilroy, we installed ours on top of the black tank, where the old toilet was, so that we could easily revert if we didn't like it. Now that we're sold, we plan to configure the black tank for extra gray water storage, as gray water is our limiting factor when dry camping.

The pee jug does need to be emptied every few days. We recommend ordering a second jug for those times when you don't have easy access to a dump station or toilet and want to limit your dumping trips. (The jugs come with screw-on caps. )
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I bought these bowls from Ikea that fit our sinks, and we use gray water for flushing.

I've been thinking about the composting toilet, but I'm not hip on the plastic, and at $960.00 that's a heck of cost for the advantage of not dumping. Also, there is work involved with the toilet. You have to prep the coconut core/pet. Change it out, dumping the pee routinely. Just seems like more work for the only advantage of not dumping.

As I said, we go into conserve mode and use gray for flushing solids, and nothing for liquids.

And the question I've never seen answered is, what about when you have the liquid poo? Sometimes stuff just explodes and it's on the sides and then what? Since there is no liquid. Spray bottle?

What about TP? That go in there too?
Old 11-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Additional freshwater tank/composting toilet

We went with the Airhead (www.airheadtoilet.com) because:

1. No black tank (so never cleaning clogs or detailing with plumbing issues or winterizing)
2. Less weight (you're dehydrating your waste as opposed to towing around your sloshing wet waste)
3. Less smell than an black tank
4. Never having to deal with liquid human waste (outside of pee) or the potential of spatter when dumping
5. It has the capacity to be used up to 60 times before needing to be dumped, or a MONTH for two people full timing (again, it dehydrates the waste). If you're just using it on weekends, that goes up to 80 uses.
6. Full size seat available.
7. Airhead is the ORIGINAL and is made of stronger plastic than a Nature's Head.

Also, even if you don't use the black tank space for a freshwater tank, you'll be saving water by not having a flushing toilet, adding to your current fresh tank's capacity.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Another water saving idea is to eat off of fire starters instead of the fine china. Paper plates bowls and cups go a long way towards reducing dish water needs when boondocking.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 AM   #26
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm not hip on the plastic, and at

there is work involved with the toilet. You have to prep the coconut core/pet. Change it out, dumping the pee routinely.

what about when you have the liquid poo? Sometimes stuff just explodes and it's on the sides and then what? Since there is no liquid. Spray bottle?

What about TP? That go in there too?
the plastic is easy to clean and sturdy.

there isn't really work to do with the toilet much more than your 'business'. the Cococoir is only put some in a plastic bag with water overnight to get it loosened up. There isnt changing out really, everytime you empty the #2 base, you just add that to the base and keep going, you dont rinse out the base between changes because the 'left over' on the surface has the bacteria starter to keep on going. I'm not sure how often you have to empty your sewage tank but i didnt have to empty my first time until after 3.5 mos (when composting things reduce and reduce).

for the TP, it goes in the toilet and adds to the compost mix and breaks down with everything else.

as for the ol diarreah cha-cha-cha or vomit, it's fine as long as that's not a daily thing. I havent had issues and i'm known to eat a lot of weird stuff with the same expected weird results. the toilet is designed well and everything gets into the base, any little bits that dont make it in, i use a squirtbottle with vinegar/water mix and wipe it with tp into the base along with the tp.

the urine jug isnt really a big deal, i find that i empty mine every 3-4 days and dont find it a chore.

all in all, it's convenient, environmentally responsible, and i dont have to go find a dump station (i urban boondock fulltime so there are no places for this anyway) and my friends get fresh compost for their rose gardens...

cheers!
dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

maybe not a deal breaker

Labtopia said plastic is easy to clean.

I would agree……for a while

Plastic scratches when you clean it. The scratches are a perfect spot for stuff to grow, and resist cleaning
Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
We went with the Airhead (Air Head Dry Composting Toilet | For Boats, RVs & Cabins | Environmental Toilets with Compact Convenience:) because:

1. No black tank (so never cleaning clogs or detailing with plumbing issues or winterizing)
2. Less weight (you're dehydrating your waste as opposed to towing around your sloshing wet waste)
3. Less smell than an black tank
4. Never having to deal with liquid human waste (outside of pee) or the potential of spatter when dumping
5. It has the capacity to be used up to 60 times before needing to be dumped, or a MONTH for two people full timing (again, it dehydrates the waste). If you're just using it on weekends, that goes up to 80 uses.
6. Full size seat available.
7. Airhead is the ORIGINAL and is made of stronger plastic than a Nature's Head.

Also, even if you don't use the black tank space for a freshwater tank, you'll be saving water by not having a flushing toilet, adding to your current fresh tank's capacity.
None of these points justifies a in the trailer pit toilet to the vast majority of Airstreamers. Another hipster idea.