Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Airstreams do very well in cold weather. We did a night with temps in the mid 20's and wind speeds up to 60 mph. At that time our heater was broken. We had a small electric heater on for that night. We never noticed the cold or wind.
We had an other night like that a fer years later. The heater was working and we had no idea how cold it was outside. Next morning several trailer around us had ruptured pipes. It was a bad day for some at that camp site. Airstream designs their trailer to blow warm air from the heater onto the water tank and much of the piping. A small detail, but worth a lot.
I got an indoor/outdoor temp gauge after that. Better than being suprised when you open the door.
Does anyone know of a temperature gauge with a settable low/high temp alarm?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Which trailer did you get? What year is it?
Since you have full hookups, a couple of space heaters and an electric blanket will keep you warm.
We have dry camped in temps as low a -7F and were comfortable. We have a 26' Argosy.
Where in Kansas is the trailer?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #45
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Which trailer did you get? What year is it?
Since you have full hookups, a couple of space heaters and an electric blanket will keep you warm.
We have dry camped in temps as low a -7F and were comfortable. We have a 26' Argosy.
Where in Kansas is the trailer?
They won't need the electric blanket....they have Big Red Dog.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
...and they are newlyweds. Cue the music, something with a 70's jazz feel with plenty of scratchy electric guitar.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I only read the first page, but this is a no brainer. Go for it!

If the converter is original, I would definitely replace it (about $200) and if the axles are original, you may want to replace them, but if everything else works you are in good shape. Fix stuff on an as needed basis.

You are a very lucky couple. Have fun.

Welcome to the forums.

Dan
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
...and they are newlyweds. Cue the music, something with a 70's jazz feel with plenty of scratchy electric guitar.
You mean the Barry White Heater?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
From your presentation it sounds like a good move. Your question of age and livability can be answered easily. As long as you have what you need, the age of the trailer in that case is irrelevant. As far as condition, that is something that forum members and an inspector can help with. They know what to look for. The idea is a good one and an Airstream is a good choice as was already stated- been time tested. As far as money goes, if you have enough to buy it, and a little for repair to start off, then it is a match financially. Also, you can always sell it later if need be. Your family though may be concerned about the financial drain of a camper. They do require care and that means money. I've spent around $7000 on mine in the first year of ownership as a used six year old AS adding, updating and maintaining and that, all DIY or with help from others. If you would be indebted then I would caution you to consider finances. It sounds like you would think out all of this anyway.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #50
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Axels are new along with bearings and breaks. We looked for one that was ready to roll but still have money to live on so we didn't go in debt. I didn't want to stretch our funds too thin to begin this adventure since there are bound to be bumps along the way. We have a F250 with a 460 in it. A bit of a gas guzzler to say it kindly but We love big red (little red is our doggie ). I'm going to have to look up how to plug it in once we get parked. It's still been freezing in Estes so I probably won't attempt to fill the tanls until after we've have many warm nights. We get a gym membership so showering up there will be better then crouching in the tiny tub anyway.

What do you mean the converter? Is this the control box? It is the original. I'll look up a newne. If it works fit I'll leave it alone until it breaks. If I do find a good salebon a newbone I may just take your advice and do some preventative maintenance.

Thanks so much for all your encouragment and suggestions!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The converter is just the battery charger. It may work fine, but if it is original, it will cook the batteries. I bought mine from Best Converter, a forum member, and have been very happy with it. You might also pick up a Volt Minder. It shows the battery voltage constantly which gives you the degree of charge that your batteries have, about $25 as I recall. Mine was easy to install, only about 3 wires. Replace it now and your batteries will thank you because they won't get cooked and die a premature death.

Dan
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can get a new 45 amp converter on eBay for around $125.00. Look for a PD9245. It will be all you need. You will probably need a fuse block for at least 4 circuits. Along with larger fuses and holders for the cables going to the battery. 30 amp fuses and holders will suffice. If you PM me, I will send you a drawing on how to wire it up.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #53
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
We picked up the trailer!!!!! We love it!! My brother arrived with it at 2:30am in Salina. It has been quite the adventure so far to make sure turns are wide enough and there's not more than a 1ft change in the pavement! Wow we will be a stronger couple after this! We still have to pull her up the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park. Luckily we can take it right to our spot. How annoying people in their little cars are and have no idea they are in the way. I can only imagine what denver will be like tomorrow. I'm so lucky that Aaron is driving! I will say I'm in love with the interstate and how easy it is to get across the country.

We'll be getting the AS level and parked in the next day or two. Thank you everyone for your help and support through this experience.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why don't you cut north to HWY 34 before reaching Denver? If you are coming in on I-70. Take Hwy 71 north out if Limon. When you get to Hwy 34 hang a left.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Greetings,

I have been reading your posts and have seen your pictures. You have actually purchased the trailer that was remodeled by the owner of Airstream of Arkansas before they closed up the Airstream business. I bought a trailer there and was good friends with Gene while the refurb was going on. Here is a thread with pictures of your remodel in progress. I wasn't too crazy about the black, but it looks better now that I thought back then.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ign-35580.html

The pics in the beginning are missing, but the later ones are there.

Nice find.

Steve
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #56
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandruska View Post
We picked up the trailer!!!!! We love it!! My brother arrived with it at 2:30am in Salina. It has been quite the adventure so far to make sure turns are wide enough and there's not more than a 1ft change in the pavement! Wow we will be a stronger couple after this! We still have to pull her up the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park. Luckily we can take it right to our spot. How annoying people in their little cars are and have no idea they are in the way. I can only imagine what denver will be like tomorrow. I'm so lucky that Aaron is driving! I will say I'm in love with the interstate and how easy it is to get across the country.

We'll be getting the AS level and parked in the next day or two. Thank you everyone for your help and support through this experience.
Let the fun begin NOW!!!

WOW...I just checked out those refurb photo's, what a sooper looking Airstream!!!!

Sweet Streams

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote