Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Checklists

http://airstreamlife.com/online/archives/

Summer 2010: Editorís Page; Inbox; Why The Proís Use Checklists; Pancakes In A Can; Virginia City NV. [24 pages total]

I used the "print screen" key that's up above your Backspace key on most keyboards. It's easy to crop and edit the result in a free photo software such as Picassa or the software of your choice...sort of a work around.

As a bonus, you will like the online magazine!

1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I went with a friend to look at white box travel trailers a few years ago, just to give him my opinion on condition, difficulty of repairs, etc in relation to the asking price. I was really surprised that most times none of these trailers had any water or propane in the tanks and the trailer was often shown by a relative or friend of the owner who seemed to know nothing about getting the systems running. My friend was expected to take someone's word that everything worked just fine.

If you will be making a long drive to look at anything, I'd tell the owner in advance that you wanted to see everything work. They should make sure that they or a knowledgeable person will be there, have some water and propane in the tanks, have turned on the fridge the night before so it will be cold, etc.

Even if the trailer is still winterized, they could put a little RV antifreeze in the water tank to demonstrate that the water pump works and the system is free of leaks. It is also safe to fire up a drained water heater momentarily just to show that the burner and any electronic ignition system works.

Christopher

Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arandruska View Post
Thank you for all the advice! It turns out that '72 in Phoenix qas a great deal and someone else scooped it up while I was making up my mind. I was bummed I stalled because I knew what I had but I just hesitstes. I've found another but I'll have to do some driving for this one! I'll have someone take a look but I have the inspector sheet to go over to make sure I done miss anything. This one isn't all original but has been completely renovated with new interiors and appliances. New brakes and running gear. Original axel but looks in good shape with no rust. We are in Az now and start back to work on the 6th. It's going to be fun. This one has the awnings on all three sides which we really wanted. It's a '75 Sovereign 31ft. A little bigger than the last. I figure it's going to be parked for the most part wxcwpt when we travel in the Minhs of November And April. Does anyone have a good checklist or know where the thread is for a good arrive at destination and pack up to leave list or things that ned to be done? Seems like it would be good to have a binder to keep all the important trailer info in and that should be included. I would like to print out what some one has already and then add specifics to us.

Also, my FIL has been feeling really guilty about the advice not to get the trailer. He didn't know all the time I've invested to know what to look for in an Airstream. I have been telling him it was a blessing in disguise since I believe I found a better one for us since. I know he was trying to look out for us. Besides I found a bigger, slightly newer, better one in the mean time!

Does anyone know what year AS started seperating the black water and grey water tanks?

Thanks again and hopefully we come up with something. I spent hours cruising through the classified adds and didnt find any other that would fit our criteria.
1974/75 was the first year for the separate grey/black water tanks. Be forewarned however that the gray tanks were miniscule. My 1975 has a 30 gallon black tank and a 12 gallon grey tank. Barely enough for a single shower. I would hope you will have the advantage of full hookups.

Good luck with your search.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Besides small tanks, I'd be concerned about insulation and keeping warm. If the price is right, I'd buy it.

But aren't you supposed to be buying a small house and start making babies? Anarchist!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Hahaha well that is the question right after the nuptials isn't it!? Not for this family of 2 plus Red Dog. We are going to live a little and enjoy each others company before we go down that road.

Airseneca, thank you for the guide! I'll print it today since I won't know how long until we have the printer hooked up again.

Also... I MADE AN OFFER and the SELLER ACCEPTED!!! My brother inspected it for me. He knows little about airstreams but he said it looks great everything inside works. All the running gear is NEW! I feel really lucky to have found our first home! This is going to be such a great adventure... I wish he could go get it today. Haha we have to go to colorado first then drive to Kansas to pick up the trailer from my Bro.

Next I'll bbe looking at how to set up for long term parking.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #34
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Also, we will have full hookups at out spot.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
We'll get it on Friday or Saturday so I'll definitely post pictures!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats!!!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Hi Arandruska,

My wife and I are seasonal interps at Yellowstone and VIP's at Biscayne NP in the winter.

We live at YNP in our 31' Airstream Sovereign and LOVE it! No packing/unpacking, your own linens/dishes/cookware, and air conditioning when needed.

You might weep gently on occasion at the gas pump but, considering the advantages, it is worth it.

Have a great summer,

Mike
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Well done, I'm so pleased for you both, sorry the 3 of you inc Red dog !
The reason we got the Overlander was because we had a beautiful Bernese Mountail Dog called Lulu, who went everywhere with us, even skiing to Austria and France, She loved the trips in the Airstream, unfortunatley shes' no longer with us, Happily though we have a Boy Bernese now who is 6 months old and is going to London next week in the Airstream with us for the 1st time, So i've spent the last week getting the old girl ready for the first trip of the year.
I know i'm in UK but i have the Full 73 Owners manual for my Overlander, i'm sure many of the diagrams and plans would be aplicable to your Sovereign if you need any i'd be more than happy to scan and email to you.

Cheers
Tim
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I'm very glad you found one! This sounds like the start of a blog....nomadic A/S couple, beautiful locations....heck, maybe a TV series!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

You have to live your own life

That being said...We study history to benefit from others past mistakes and successes.
There is a thread on this forum documenting a parks worker wintering at The Grand Canyon. They did it, but it wasn't easy, they seemed glad that they did, but weren't sure that they would want to do it again. 3 words...Cold, snow, and condensation. Not to mention equipment failure at inopportune times.

Summer in Colorado? It's winter every night in Colorado. OK I am exaggerating But I camped in Pennsylvania on July fourth a few years ago. 28 degrees at night. In Durango Colorado, today in the seventies, last night..32 degrees

My point is, RVs are not 4 season friendly. I imagine you and your husband are young and are up to the challenge. Know what you are getting yourself into. Read threads on this forum about wintering in an Airstream
And bare ( and bear ) in mind, your father in law most likely loves you big time and wants to look out for your best interests.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #41
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
I've read the GCNP winter post. I'm hoping we don't end up somewhere that cold for the winter. Preferably we head south for winter and colorado or wyoming for summer. Not too chilly nights for us for that long of time anyway. The goal is to find a park somewhere in Az, Nm, Tx, Fl. We are all packed up and ready to hit the road early early on Tuesday to make our way up to Colorado. I'm really looking forward to getting rid of some things and moving into our new home. I'm slightly addicted to pinterest and I've found so many great ways of organizing a small space! What do you do to set up your outdoor space? I've seen camp chairs and a rug. What else comes in handy?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #42
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"What else comes in handy?"

A couple of folding tables, a small step stool, door mat and a camp broom.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 165.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	184499  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote