Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement! I do feel like this trailer is "the one". We are very handy and are always learning. My husband just rebuilt the front end of our truck at his friend's shop. I helped my parents remodel and design there new kitchen with tile and hardwood flooring. Even electrical to move those appliances and fixtures. Anyway I really appreciate what all of you have said. And you're right. If it doesn't work out we can always sell for what we paid for it. I don't have any pictures but we are going to stop back and see if he'll hold it for us. I'll try and take a couple then.

Take care

Rob

Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I've read your thread and the trailer seems like a very good fit for your job situation. Of course, here you are getting a totally unbiased view....: My one thought is that your FIL may be unfamiliar with the qualities and incredible statistics on how many A/S units are still on the road...

*I see posts claiming 70 - 75 percent of all Airstreams built since 1935 are still on the road!
*Out of 300 trailer builders in operation back in 1936, Airstream is the lone survivor.
*Airstream's cost a little more but they can last much longer than the SOB (square old box - is the shorthand here if you haven't seen it before).
*When new, A/S will outlast the payments - not all RV's can do that. Well cared for, they will outlast you, your kids and perhaps their kids.
*A/S does not use rubber roofs that need to be replaced in 12-15 years, no exterior high tech materials to de-laminate, and have proven low wind resistance with the classic rounded front and rear.
*Not that the word investment and RV should be in the same sentence but it is true that many are sold decades later for more that was paid for them.

Now we can talk about the intangibles or non monetary benefits to Airstream ownership.
*Many campgrounds with the ten year rule tend to forget that rule if an Airstream pulls up. There is hardly a significant difference between a new Airstream and one well kept 20 or even 40 year vintage restoration. So, even old A/S just add class to the campground!
*Social! Airstreamer love to help each other and have a strong support and knowledge base here in the forums.
*You might get a smile here on the "Why Airstream?" thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...am-100283.html

Since inquiring minds want to know....tell us what happens!

1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
It is an old camper, so things will break, however they can be fixed or repaired. If you or your husband are handy I don't think you will have too much trouble.

Since you will be living at campgrounds, in the event that something fails you will have backup plans until you can make repairs. Plumbing problem? Just use the public facilities. Stove quits working, cook over a fire or outdoor camp stove. You get the idea.

It sounds like you were smart enough to verify that all systems were working before the purchase. That said, check the condition and age of the tires. It doesn't sound like your trailer will be on the road much, but when it is you will be making some long treks. If the tires are four years older or more, put on some new ones before heading to your first assignment.

On another topic, I've been with my wife for 19 years and have no regrets. Since you are a young couple I will suggest keeping your communication open, about everything. Try to keep the in-laws at arms length or more whenever possible. Assuming you are not planning on starting a family right away, have a good birth control strategy and stick with it, even if you've had a few extra beers around the campfire some night.

Christopher
Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
*Social! Airstreamer love to help each other and have a strong support and knowledge base here in the forums.
This is my favorite part. I've been into 'collector vehicles' for years - Mustangs, Miatas, Corvettes - and Airstreams without a doubt have the strongest social bond of any vehicle I've owned. Airstream owners are instant friends on the road, and Airstreams themselves make folks relax and come up and talk to you about them. Everyone loves them, or is at least curious about them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
I've read your thread and the trailer seems like a very good fit for your job situation. Of course, here you are getting a totally unbiased view....: My one thought is that your FIL may be unfamiliar with the qualities and incredible statistics on how many A/S units are still on the road...

*I see posts claiming 70 - 75 percent of all Airstreams built since 1935 are still on the road!
*Out of 300 trailer builders in operation back in 1936, Airstream is the lone survivor.
*Airstream's cost a little more but they can last much longer than the SOB (square old box - is the shorthand here if you haven't seen it before).
*When new, A/S will outlast the payments - not all RV's can do that. Well cared for, they will outlast you, your kids and perhaps their kids.
*A/S does not use rubber roofs that need to be replaced in 12-15 years, no exterior high tech materials to de-laminate, and have proven low wind resistance with the classic rounded front and rear.
*Not that the word investment and RV should be in the same sentence but it is true that many are sold decades later for more that was paid for them.

Now we can talk about the intangibles or non monetary benefits to Airstream ownership.
*Many campgrounds with the ten year rule tend to forget that rule if an Airstream pulls up. There is hardly a significant difference between a new Airstream and one well kept 20 or even 40 year vintage restoration. So, even old A/S just add class to the campground!
*You might get a smile here on the "Why Airstream?" thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...am-100283.html

Since inquiring minds want to know....tell us what happens!
Thank you for the great link! I litterly spend hours on this site and time just passes! It's been 1am before and I can't sleep so I hop on here and sure enough sun is coming up!

As for the update... well no trailer yet. That on wasn't meant to be. By the time I had allowed my 24 hour rule to pass it was too late. I guess I should've said YES how much to hold it!?!? This will give we a bit more time to look around and after the summer maybe I can afford one more in the 10K range. I really love the 70s models. I can create an Airstream emergency savings for when things inevitability go.

The thing about that '72 was that it was perfect in everyway. It sat in grandpa's garage then gave to grandson and grandson decided he would rather have a truck popup then an AS since so many other streamers would come by and "bug me". This trailer deserved to stay period correct and that's what the guy who bought it planned to do. It even had original rims on all four tires.... at least that beautiful trailer went to a loving home.

I'll keep looking for mine. I know she is out there. I even had my boss set aside an RV spot for me this year. He is such pleasure to work for. I'll work extra hard this year for all he has done for Aaron and I. I think I'll send a wanted ad out to the forum to see if that will help my search.

Thank you all for your kind words while we figure out where our happily ever after goes. I really appreciate the life advice as well. It's nice to hear others have been there too.

I'll be around, friend me if you like, let me know if you'll be around the woods I'm currently living in because I would love to chat about your adventures too

Rob
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #20

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I always read with interest when someone describes a yet-to-be-purchased trailer as 'the one'...

There are a bunch of these things. You may have to drive a bit but they are out there...

I DO support the comment 'this is the model for me'...that educated comment helps narrow the search.

Then again, it's very rare for an Airstream owner to 'get it right' the first time.

Keep up the search, keep your mind open.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Rob,

It's not widely known outside the Forums here but Airstreams can talk...but only when being viewed in person...you will know when you've found the right one.

Here we are being screamed at by our first.....63 Safari.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I always read with interest when someone describes a yet-to-be-purchased trailer as 'the one'...

There are a bunch of these things. You may have to drive a bit but they are out there...

I DO support the comment 'this is the model for me'...that educated comment helps narrow the search.

Then again, it's very rare for an Airstream owner to 'get it right' the first time.

Keep up the search, keep your mind open.
Thank you I will
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
In your situation, buying a trailer seems more prudent than throwing away money on rent.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
In your situation, buying a trailer seems more prudent than throwing away money on rent.
You can say that again. If only we could've saved the money we've spent on an apartment we're never at in Flagstaff, Az. We are back to CO in 7 days... really looking forward to it. However... it's sunny and spring here. It's 28in of snow there! Brrrrrr
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Love the picture!! I'll post my picture like this when my day finally arrives
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Good luck in the search. Plenty of 70's models out there for under 10k if you are willing to look, and maybe drive a bit to check them out.

Just my opinion, but look for a mid to late 70's model with a gray water holding tank. That will come in handy at some point.

I also suggest looking for a rear bedroom model. These are tough to find with a full-sized bed, but can be converted easily enough. There is recent thread on converting twin beds under Interiors Cabinets and Furniture. Being newlyweds I assume you won't want twin beds.

Christopher
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am probably old enough to be your parent(s)

Go for it! It sounds to me like you have thought through things pretty well and are asking the right questions. By all means see if you can find someone in the PHX area to do an in depth inspection for you. There is NOTHING on an Airstream that cannot be repaired or replaced if you really want to.

That Airstream will be around long after your FIL is pushing up daisies.

FWIW when I was quite a bit younger I lived in a pickup camper in the woods for over a year. Best time of my life.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #28
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Thank you for all the advice! It turns out that '72 in Phoenix qas a great deal and someone else scooped it up while I was making up my mind. I was bummed I stalled because I knew what I had but I just hesitstes. I've found another but I'll have to do some driving for this one! I'll have someone take a look but I have the inspector sheet to go over to make sure I done miss anything. This one isn't all original but has been completely renovated with new interiors and appliances. New brakes and running gear. Original axel but looks in good shape with no rust. We are in Az now and start back to work on the 6th. It's going to be fun. This one has the awnings on all three sides which we really wanted. It's a '75 Sovereign 31ft. A little bigger than the last. I figure it's going to be parked for the most part wxcwpt when we travel in the Minhs of November And April. Does anyone have a good checklist or know where the thread is for a good arrive at destination and pack up to leave list or things that ned to be done? Seems like it would be good to have a binder to keep all the important trailer info in and that should be included. I would like to print out what some one has already and then add specifics to us.

Also, my FIL has been feeling really guilty about the advice not to get the trailer. He didn't know all the time I've invested to know what to look for in an Airstream. I have been telling him it was a blessing in disguise since I believe I found a better one for us since. I know he was trying to look out for us. Besides I found a bigger, slightly newer, better one in the mean time!

Does anyone know what year AS started seperating the black water and grey water tanks?

Thanks again and hopefully we come up with something. I spent hours cruising through the classified adds and didnt find any other that would fit our criteria.