Old 08-28-2003, 10:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Smile A new way of life

Howdy I'm Rich Custom Knifemaker and Air Stream dweller in Riverside Ca. Last Sept. 23rd my home of 28 years , shop and all personal possesions were lost to the Williams Forest fire in the Angeles National forest , San Dimas Cyn . Anyway a friend who also lost his place in the fire bought a 1/2 acre place out here in Riverside with a small house that we have totally remodled for him with a SBA loan (I did not qualify) to live in and I was offered a spot to park a trailer for myself and my 13 year old Chow .
www.ortonknifeworks.com We are also in the process of building a new work shop and I will be up and running again making knives in a few months thanks to my friend .
My need for a trailer took me directly to the Air Stream and I found a '78 Excella 500 31' that's working out pretty well . I guess this is just a hello to the Air Stream folks out there who might read this you seem like a friendly bunch ! Rich

Old 08-28-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear of your loss in the Williams fire. Have a friend with a place in the canyon who got lucky, fire stopped 200 feet short of his house. As a knife collector, I'll be looking for the opening of your new workshop, perhaps get a chance to visit.

Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the welcome look at the web site I have for more details www.ortonknifeworks.com and if you're a knife collector there're lots of things to grab your interest locally . Southern Caifornia knife collectors Association (has a web site ) has monthly meetings , a mini knife show in October and puts on the States largest all knife show each year in Febuary , The Expo ,
a great show .
Do you know anything about air conditioner's on these trailers ? I'm having trouble with mine and it's too hot for that .
Seems it works in the morning but when the day heats up she just won't put out the cool air . it heats up to 100 inside then I'm forced to abandon ship .
Old 08-28-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Hey Rich
I do not know much about the A/C, but it should keep the trailer cool even in the heat of the Inland Empire. I assume you are hooked up to 120V electricity. I know the A/C is a big draw on electricity, and the connection (20AMP vs. 30AMP) may affect its operation. At any rate, someone on this Forum will give you some very sound advice regarding the cooling system. There are some very astute members with plenty of expertise in all facets of Airstreams and their systems.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Hey Rick ,
Thanks for the advice . It's working again as we speak , thank god it's 95 outside . we ran a 30 amp circut from the panel to the trailer correct receptical for the trailer plug etc. so that's been handled . I'm thinking the problem is in the thermostat and that's adjustment I hope ...............time for a beer ..........rich
Old 08-28-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

AC/sovereign

I found the roof unit just couldn't do it. Put a 5000btu in the back window and even that was just a tease
went to Sams Club got a 8000btu (7.4A) to replace the 5000Now it's as cold as I want it. The discharge blows down the hall. It worked on a day it was 106 last month.
BTW I just plugged it right in the wall.