Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
A long time

I have been living in a travel trailer for over 10 years now. I started with a 15' with no A/C and progressed to a 23' and finally an Argosy 26'. I have stayed at fish camps, rv parks, personal property and even volunteered for a while. Not many people understand this way of life. I can say that my carbon footprint is way smaller than most, I have experienced wildlife encounters for memories I will always cherish. I have been able to live in places I could not afford, and it sure is easier to move your whole house than to box up all your belongings and label them. I have saved enough money to buy a piece of land of my very own. And I can live in my Airstream for 5 years while I am building a house. Not such a bad deal after all....

Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like it has been idyllic for you, and now your own piece of land!

Congratulations and good luck in your next chapter.

Maggie

Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Good for you, enjoy life! jim
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I've been doing similar for 5 years now, though I've been at one lot in the woods near a lake. I work from home so all I need is power and an internet connection. I'm going to move this year to some river front property my brother and I purchased, where we're building two apartments from shipping containers which will be my retirement home.

The wildlife comment made me chuckle as it brought back memory of an incident that happened to me. One evening as it was nearly dark I walked outside to turn off the water from refilling my tank and as I walked past an area near the trailer I spotted one of the wild black cats that live in the woods very near my path, and I absent mindedly said "hello kitty" as I walked within 3' of it but kept walking. Then I did a double take and noticed that the "kitty" had two bold white stripes down it's back and it had it's tail raised straight in the air and aimed at me. I quickly backed way off and the "kitty" relaxed and ambled off somewhere else. That was a close one!
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sounds good. Does your home design have the simple, purposeful, and elegant design of your Airstream?

doug k
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Mine does. My container apartment floor plan is heavily based on my AS layout because I've found it to be quite liveable and the 8'x48' container is just a much bigger but similar space. I'm even copying the settee in my apartment, complete with the fold down into a bed ability.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Crusty, I have a cousin that lives outside of Fort Worth. He started with one shipping container that has grown into 3 with plans for a 4th to be added soon. It rambles up the side of a hill. Unless you knew what the home was made from it would be hard to tell. He is a computer engineer, works from home and the house is totally automated and state of the art in design. Sort of scary, it talks to you in this crazy sexy Russian spy accent.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is interesting that Airstream designed was conceived about the same time architect Frank Lloyd Wright began to develop his Usonian House idea. Both essential and purposeful designs using only the natural beauty of their materials for aesthetics.

Travel vehicles and homes both have become overgrown and somewhat silly in appearance over the years. But good to know both ideas are available to us even today if we want them.

An example of the Usonian idea circa 1952:

One-Way Street: Usonia

doug k
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
I love the shipping container idea. My own favorite fantasy is a converted water tower (although an elevator seems ostentatious and a ladder or staircase masochistic...maybe a helicopter?), but four shipping containers around a central courtyard would do me just fine. A sculpture studio for me, a tech workshop for him, a kitchen/dining rm/library, and a bedroom/bathroom. And of course my Silver Streak for guests!

I think my generation (I'm in my early 30s) is too cynical. It is very encouraging to hear about others who are actually living their dreams!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas

This is similar to what we're building but imagine it with containers 48' long instead of the 20' long containers shown. We have riverfront property so we have to be up on piers for floods too.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, why shipping containers?

A fascinating concept.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Way to go Susan!! That is so inspiring. Living the dream. Congratulations. And congrats to Crusty too!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Why? A complete dried in home structure for $10/sq. ft. plus ready for interior finishing on the same day they arrive and much stronger than a wood frame house too. The pitch roof added is just for shading during hot weather since they're already water tight.

Carrie if I had my druthers, I'd connect 4 containers in a square with a roof overall and make the center courtyard a really nice atrium with skylights and lots of plate glass windows looking from the containers interior onto the atrium.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow. You guys are amazingly creative,

We need more pictures,

Maggie