Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
55 Plus Communities - How Strict are Rules?

We are about to set off on our full time RV lifestyle, and I'm running into places that we really want to stay, but the catch is we're in our early thirties and many of them are 55 plus. I'm guessing it depends on the particular park/owner, but I just wondered if anyone had a sense, in general, of how strict that rule tends to be. We don't have kids, we're not partiers, we're quiet and low key and honestly love hanging out with the "older" crowd. Just wondering if we are going to run into this a lot and what to expect!

Thanks!
Sadie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Some of the 55+ will not even allow kids except for day visit, some won't allow children(under 55) inheriting from parents to occupy park models. I doubt all check age id, but if your rv, not to their standards, you have nose rings, eyebrow rings, tatooes, spiked hair and have a sonic boom to announce your arrival, you might be rejected. There is a law in Fl that ALL residents have to be 55 to be able to screen for age.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As a 60 ager look at it from my point of view. If I am in a 55 over park to get away from kids, you are a kid to me and you are not living an oldies life style. The vast majority of campgrounds are for the younger set and that basically eliminates older folks staying there in peace. not meant to offend...zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Here's what I know from living in a mobile home park that was borderline 55 and over, and my father in law living in a 55 and over community, and trouble we had getting my disabled, veteran uncle into a 64 and over community when he was 62. They do not want to bend the rules even a little.

At least around here the '55 and over' label allows them to discriminate against families with kids, something that is generally NOT allowed in renting. In order to keep that right, they have to stick to the 55 and over. If they are found letting folks stay who are not over 55, then their status could be challenged, and they could be liable for discrimination lawsuits. Once they make that rule, they can't deviate from it. So at least around here they are pretty strict about sticking to the 55 and over rule.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sadie',

Why would you want to be in a place with a bunch of old fogies? They smell funny and fall down a lot. They listen to music from years ago like Led Zeppelin and the Doors. Many have acid flashbacks and are high on medical marijuana—that's when they start "streaking", something done years ago when they were young and looked a lot better.

Some are so old and lonely they will start babbling about a trip they took to Alaska as soon as they see you outside (all old people travel to Alaska looking for the Arctic fountain of youth, but all they find in the Santa Claus House in North Pole, Alaska).

But, if you really want to be with a bunch of senile, I mean, senior citizens, dye your hair grey (do they make grey hair dye?), get a cane or a walker, and babble a bit and mention your aching back when you check in. It helps if your upper plate falls out of your mouth while you are talking. If they want to see your driver's license to see how old you are, tell them you can't find it and it was right next to your Medicare card.

I'll be waiting next to my Airstream to tell you about our last trip to Alaska and warn you about walking on the grass.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
I would just call. I contacted a few in AZ, and was told that they have a 20% rule, as long as there are less than 20% younger than 55 they are ok. But no kids.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
HandyHank

2001 30' Excella
Bastrop , Louisiana
Sadie, in defense of your position let me add a thought. My wife & I, now full-timers, bought our first Airstream at 34/32 yr old back in 1975. We, too, thought it was unusual that we liked hanging with the old folks. I came to this thought on the subject. As we age thru those younger years the only old folks we ever knew were our grandparents. Well, when they came over, they would only talk about us. Man was that boring and it quickly attached itself to the age thing, i.e. old = boring. So naturally young folks couldn't possibly hang with the old folks. However, this wasn't our case in 1975 so what's up? After some thought I figured that THESE old folks were NOT our family members and they talked about travels and places over the horizon. That was not boring so it changed our perception of old folks forever. It's not an age thing but an experience thing. Hang in there young folks; you'll age soon enough so don't rush it and enjoy your youth while you have it.
HandyHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Crawford, you been watching me? zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Crawford, you been watching me? zz
I can't see that far.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Crawford: they say hearing is the second thing to go. guess you cant here the SINATRA. Sal
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Sadie',

Why would you want to be in a place with a bunch of old fogies? They smell funny and fall down a lot. They listen to music from years ago like Led Zeppelin and the Doors. Many have acid flashbacks and are high on medical marijuana—that's when they start "streaking", something done years ago when they were young and looked a lot better.

Some are so old and lonely they will start babbling about a trip they took to Alaska as soon as they see you outside (all old people travel to Alaska looking for the Arctic fountain of youth, but all they find in the Santa Claus House in North Pole, Alaska).

But, if you really want to be with a bunch of senile, I mean, senior citizens, dye your hair grey (do they make grey hair dye?), get a cane or a walker, and babble a bit and mention your aching back when you check in. It helps if your upper plate falls out of your mouth while you are talking. If they want to see your driver's license to see how old you are, tell them you can't find it and it was right next to your Medicare card.

I'll be waiting next to my Airstream to tell you about our last trip to Alaska and warn you about walking on the grass.

Gene
I certainly hear you on this one, my side hurts as I've been laughing so hard.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation Don't go there, you'll never get back.

I'm well over 55 and you won't catch me in one of those 55+ places.

You are going to get old enough soon enough, and once you get there, there is no return bus.

So enjoy your youth as long as you can keep it.

Stay away from the olds folks home. Don't be dragged prematurely in to maturity.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
my knees hurt more than my side.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Why is it that when you're 10 years old, you want to be 13.
When you're 60 you want to be 40. Then at some point, it starts to reverse again.

Working as a Paramedic, we would always ask the patient's age. Many times, when dealing with those that are 70 or more, they would say something like - "I'm almost 87" or "I'm about to be 91".

Which reminds me of a quote I read once:
"We spend the first 4 years of a child's life teaching them to walk and talk. We then spend the rest of their life trying to get them to sit down and shut up!
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I wouldn't want to stay in a place without children, as their laughter, squeals, and even bickering remind me that the human species continues, despite our best efforts to eradicate it from time to time.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Well put

HCR, nicely said.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote