Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
4 months fulltiming update

We started our FT adventure 4 months ago- Sept. 1st 2013. We sold our home of 15 years earlier in 2013 and moved to Colorado Springs, CO. While renting in CO, and looking for a new home, we decided to buy an 2012 Eddie Bauer 27' and 2013 Ram 3500. We enjoyed traveling so much, we donated what felt like 50% of our home stuff to the GoodWill, and placed the rest into a single monthly storage unit. This allowed us to move into our AS fulltime, as we don't have a home / house payment.

As of now, its just my wife, 2 retrievers, 1 cat and myself. However my wife is 2 months pregnant (yep living in a 27' airstream contributes to this), and it will be interesting to see how long we can continue this adventure. Nearly every month, we take the AS to places such as Key West, Carolina Beaches, Ashville, Gatlinburg, Pensacola, etc. Despite the cramped space at times, you really have to "Enjoy the Ride" and "Live the Adventure".

So much can be learned from the AirForums. As others have noted, its amazing what you packed but really don't need. We have been fortunate to have GREAT friends, and are able to live hooked up on a friends property. Here are a few things I have learned over the past 4 months.

- When temps drop below 40 degrees, the heatpump is NOT the way to go. We use the Dyson Hot and Cold Fan with the Furnace.
- So happy we bought our Sleep Number mattress, and donated the original.
- Dogs - make sure they have a place to run and get exercise! Where we are staying this is a 1 acre fenced in yard area
- We love our Nespresso Coffe maker and Dyson cordless vac!
- I think a good upcoming project will be to lay click bamboo flooring
- I thought we needed solar- I was wrong. We have the 2 Honda 2000 gennies if we really needed. However 90% of the time we are on grid
- As noted by others- the Sewer Solution is nice and semi clean. Yet the StinkySlinky is still needed at Dump Stations
- Internet is a necessity. We stream via our XBOX One Netflix, FoxTV, record tv shows (sicbeard), Skype, surf, etc.
- wrapped out sewer solution and water hoses in foam pipe sleeves (3/4" x 6' sections). This prevented the lines from freezing

My wife and I have had many discussions with folks on - "if you knew you would be fulltiming for 1 year straight, would you buy an Airstream again?" 90% of the time the answer is YES. We can fit in nearly anyplace, its easy to pack and move, and just looks freaking good. Occasionally we miss the 5th wheel Giant bathrooms, second bedrooms (such as the Toy Hauler setups), kitchens, etc. However now we just have a hardtime finding the beauty and uniqueness of the fiberglass giants something we would want to call home.

Yet this might change.....any other Fulltimers out there with newborns :-)

Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We travel half-time in winter season. Our experience is similar, learned the advantages of light loads over the years. Less is more. We do use the solar though and leave the generator at home, but then we're not in hot weather.

Fifth (half) year with the Airstream, converted dinette to reclining chairs and wouldn't have it any other way. Very comfortable traveler in many ways.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
I will say that converting the dinette to recliners has been brought up many times. We are just not sure if we would miss the table a lot. We could always get a skinny / narrow table to put in front of the bench seat- I have seen that in the Pan America setup.

What recliners would you recommend? Any type or specifically a RV recliner. I would expect something that would not require a lot of back space.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Recliners in EB.

When we were shopping for our present trailer we looked at both the FC 25 RB and EB models specifically because they appeared to be an easy recliner conversion, among other considerations including price and size.

I think all the Eddie Bauer dinette and lounge seating could be unbolted and stored, leaving good space for recliners. A new, narrower table top could be made to match countertops and used with the existing leg support and hardware. Use it as needed.

We used the same swivel recliners found as an option with late model 30' FC and Int'l models. They have a built-in retractable leg rest, leather seats, sized to fit the space nicely and high enough to see comfortably out the windows. They are very comfortable, ideal for full or half timing. A few RV suppliers sell them, calling them Villa Lift Recliners. We bought ours for $750 each plus shipping from Villa International.

We did not bolt them down so we can pull them out for full reclining and they stay put during travel. The base sits on circle of little nylon feet that hold it in place.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Congratulations to you for living your dream.

A baby will be very manageable for a long time in a trailer, although you will likely do less traveling for awhile. Those every 2-3 hour feedings keep you napping when the baby naps.

My first child was born in Germany, where he spent his first 9 weeks of life with his parents in a one-room efficiency apartment. Lack of space is not an issue for one so tiny.

He learned to sleep with the routine noises of life as his backdrop, Baths were in the kitchen sink and his bed was a portable bassinet that he then traveled home to the US in.

Enjoy, and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Congratulations. Babies don't need much for the first year or so. Well apart from unconditional love of course

If you don't already read it, take a look at the malimish blog. A family travelling full time with three young kids.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
Cat on a hot tin (aluminum) roof?

We are 58 days from hitting the road for a "one year" adventure in our 1958 Flying Cloud. Our dog is a very good traveler but we have made arrangements for our 5 year old cat to stay at my wife's sister's house. We really do not want to leave him but feel it will be less stressful.

How well does you cat travel? Anyone?

Dick
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
Our cat goes everywhere with us. Rides on the console or on my lap. He wears a harness and walks all over the campground on a leash. If the Airstream doesn't start a conversation, the cat on a leash sure does.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Our cat is 13 years old. Our old home was on a lake with a large amount of land, and the cat would roam....or patrol the land all day. At night he would come in for food and shelter, but then he would be pawing a the door to go back out in the am. On many of the trips he has come with us. Its amazing where he finds to hid and sleep- overhead bedroom compartments, behind back rests, under the couch, etc. Other than food he is low maintenance. We have a small litterbox, however its cleanly stored with friends, unless we take a travel to someplace where we think our cat would not come back.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
When we still owned our cabin, two cats would always go with us for the weekends. I was surprised how well they travelled.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Raleigh , North Carolina
Hey I appreciate the update! I just purchased my first Airstream and am currently making the transition to full-timing.

If I may ask, what do you internet connection / service do you use to use the internet services on your Xbox One? I currently have one in the house and have been debating the practicality of keeping it and / or using it's internet functions once I start full-timing. I plan on being at long-term campgrounds in the Southeast for 95% of my time, at least to start out. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Xollie check out the technomadia.com site. Everything about mobile internet is there. That being said take the tack that if you get any type of usable wifi internet connection at an RV campground it is a gift from above. Crappy slow service is the norm. No service is about equal. Highspeed of any type is indeed very rare. I work from my trailer. I count on a Verizon Jetpack. I am currently in a small State Wildlife Area outside of Hot Sulphur Springs, CO and hit the mother lode with Verizon. 5 bars, inside my Airstream, no booster and a speediest clocked in at 35mb.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks ghaynes! I've been reading it all day and have learned a lot. I appreciate the tip.