Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
chesapeake , Virginia
31 or 34 feet?

Phase one is complete, I have a new 350, however, can't decide which trailer is the way to go. Love the extra storage of the 34', and am leaning towards this one. I am having problems finding a master list of state/national park length guidelines. Is there one out there? Plan to be a full timer and want to be sure I can get my rig into most places.

I regards to full timing, where is the best place to set up a "domicile"? Best place for
mail services?

Look forward to hearing from you
clrhflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I have been told that anything over 25' is tight for a lot of national parks, here in Florida most state parks seem to be limited once you get over 28'
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
You should check out Earth Class Mail (www.earthclassmail.com).
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have traveled a fair amount and never had an issue with a 29'. In fact, I can't think of a single place we have stayed where a 34' wouldn't fit. The tightest place we have been was yellowstone...they had bigger sites but saved them for the monster 5th wheelers. I'm sure there are locations where size is a problem but it's gotta be a smaller percentage than most folks think.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Welcome to the forums. We have owned a 2005 Airstream 30 Classic. The 30 and the 31 have identical specs. It's the floor plan that is different. We now have a 2008 Airstream 34. I am surprised at how much differnce four feet makes. Really amazing. I would go with a 34 if I were selecting a unit to full time in. Sites that will hold a 30 will ususally hold a 34.

On your question about the best state to domicile in I would go onto the Escapees forum site on www.escapees.com and do a search on domicle. This question has been addressed many times on that site as it is an organization specifically oriented towards the full-timer.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
I too debated on a 30' vs a 34' to live in full time while going back to school. I was told for full timing the bigger the better. It so happened I found a nice unit in the right vacinity and purchased a 1999 34'. I am amazed at the nooks and crannies there are to store things in. I love the dinette and the couch with the tables on either side. The kitchen counter area is great when you can cover the sink and the stove and make more room. I have a queen bed which is very comfortable, but for one I would have still liked to have found twins. As it is now, I have to put my pants on in the kitchen. Only place my legs can stretch out! Ha.

Enjoy! And I agree with most places big enough for a 34', have you seen the 5th wheels that are out there? They are huge!

Anne
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
When you consider all the fifth wheels and huge class a rigs the 34 is indeed just a moderate sized rv. I often wondered if the extra axle gives a base of stability hard to achieve in a dual axle set up. Still, tight turns, drainage curbs going into gas stations and going into steep driveways etc would have to present a huge challenge in some areas of the Country. We travel in California significantly, and getting into and out most public parking lots has a grade and a dip. Our 28 makes it, but just barely. I am considering a pan american for our next choice, the garage will be a demo area for product. Much of the sales will be in the western region, I am concerned about manuverability in tight/steep conditions. I really only use RV parks so the room issue is not as important. I never see any airstreams, just big white boxes.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
We have traveled a fair amount and never had an issue with a 29'. In fact, I can't think of a single place we have stayed where a 34' wouldn't fit. The tightest place we have been was yellowstone...they had bigger sites but saved them for the monster 5th wheelers. I'm sure there are locations where size is a problem but it's gotta be a smaller percentage than most folks think.
I agree. Most state campgrounds I've visited have upgraded their spots considerably in the last 5 - 10 years as RV sizes grew and grew. Now with a recession and higher gas prices, I think many folks will be buying smaller RV's.... but the bigger sites have been built in many state and Federal campgrounds.

First remember an Airstream 31 or 34 measurement INCLUDES the tongue. Most SOB's don't. There are so many campgrounds that if you do find an occasional place that doesn't have a space big enough, you'll probably find a private campground close by that will accommodate your rig.

Don't worry, be happy, choose whichever you want.

I fulltime, and I sometimes wish I had more space than my 25 affords. Whatever you choose, make a conscious effort to periodically purge your trailer of stuff. I just cannot believe how much stuff accumulates and how fast it does. Plus with multiple small "Hidey-holes" you can actually misplace stuff inside your trailer. In a 31 it's probably worse than in a smaller unit. Keeping your stuff organized - all your tools in one place, etc. helps. If you choose a unit with twins rather than a queen, the underbed storage is much easier to access. I have a queen and getting stuff out that's near the head of the bed is a PIA.

BTW, you didn't mention whether you were interested in new or used. They've stopped making the 34' due to the economy. Will they ever start up again? Unknown. If I were buying again, I'd look for gently used - and the good news is that the bigger ones are considered less desirable than the smaller ones. You'll save big time on either a 31 or 34.

Happy hunting.

Paula
Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd opt for the triple axle. My 34' Silver Streak would have benefitted thereby, overall, for roadworthiness, stability, etc. I doubt that concerns over parking, u-turns and the rest are all that great; just a matter of tire maintenance schedule.

A 28' is easy to horse around. The difference between a 31' and 34' is too small, IMO, to worry over in re manuevering as both are more difficult than 28' or smaller.

The above post has it correct: It is the overall length of the combination that makes the difference: hitch ball to rear bumper. Compare those numbers and add for hitch. Measure it off and compare from TV side mirrors.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Latham , New York
My wife and I are going full time in the very near future and really like the floorplan of the 34' w/lounge slideout; but RVCG gives this unit a poor rating for handling. Has anyone any experience that should deter us from going on the road with one? Thanks for any input. RedWolf
jask12rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
I cannot imagine how a 34 could earn a poor rating for handling--think I remember reading about RVCG and how they think all Airstreams handle poorly. Would appear that they have never actually towed one.
We had a 31 prior to our current 34 and the 34, IMHO, handles much better overall. It tracks better going forward (extra axle??), handles very predictably, and backing actually seems easier.
Best of luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
I had a guy tow my 34' 600 miles from Orange Cty to Northern Cali in September. He told me he had towed trailers for 30 years and this was the nicest trailer he ever towed.
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
had a 28 safari and now a 31 classic and the difference in size is not even noticeable.both trailers maneuver extremely well.i stop for fuel at truck stops when i can and look for rv friendly places to stop and eat.also pull thru sites with these trailers are not neccessary,since they back extremely well.cant imagine a 34 making the towing much more difficult.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
We went from a 28' to a 34 as we are full timers- Never looked back -
You will need the extra space for personal storage- We completed over 22k this past year- Most were National Forests- Had ZERO problems with the aid of Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov and looking at the site layout prior to arriving -
Safe Travels-
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jask12rs View Post
My wife and I are going full time in the very near future and really like the floorplan of the 34' w/lounge slideout; but RVCG gives this unit a poor rating for handling. Has anyone any experience that should deter us from going on the road with one? Thanks for any input. RedWolf
Sorry for the late reply - it's the SLIDEOUT.

Adds considerable tongue weight - a big issue for many tow vehicles. You might really need a dually because of the excess weight. Forget the slide and the 34 is a great choice.

Most experienced RV techs say at least three expletives preceding the word slideout. They leak, they jam, they short out, they leak some more, they fly open while underway... Slides are nice IN campgrounds. They don't travel well. SOB or Airstream, they are great in concept - not so much in practice.

Sent you a PM too.

Paula