Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
2 weeks in 2018 Globetrotter

Hi All:
My wife and I have spent two weeks in our new 2018 globetrotter on Chokoloskee Island and wanted to share our experiences.
I would post in the 2018 Globetrotter section, but there isn’t one (yet).
Let me say we love this trailer. It’s our first airstream but we have previously owned everything from a home built adventure trailer to a diesel pusher Bluebird Wanderlodge. We bought this to replace a fifth wheel flooded by Irma.
We love how quiet it is inside. Very tight during a recent thunderstorm. We love all the natural light and airflow when windows are open. We like the factory mattress and use regular queen sheets without issue. Walmart sells striped runner carpets with same color blue at edges as our couch upholstery. We have enjoyed the tv and sound system and have found them to be both easy and versatile. Hint: Go to setup menu and lock your phone in once paired and you shouldn’t have connectivity issues. Ultramarine app for phone allows remote control of stereo from outside which is a nice feature. We can confirm ease of cleaning spills on upholstery and floor.
We really love the minimalist design which fits with our continued downsizing and simplification of life. This trailer speaks to tiny house sensibilities and the clean design compliments the exterior nicely.
I will list some issues, most of which are minor and I bring up as these issues as they may not be unique and others may want to check prior to delivery: Other issues likely relate to being a new model with some growing pains or relate to bean counter design choices. Please don’t read them as a list of complaints but as my experience and opinion.
Issues at delivery:
Leaking AC unit in closet - fixed by dealer
Broken Shower Light -still on order
Speaker not working - fixed myself - both wires never connected
Issues I’ve since noticed
Broken chrome bezel around radio head unit (the guts are hidden under blue ray player in overhead bin. Replaceable and under 20 bucks on polk website
Poorly constructed and assembled kitchen cabinets with drawers that are out of alignment and crash into side of L penninsula when opened. I have adjusted some but slides used are lower quality units without built in adjusters so I will eventually remove and reinstall slides and probably whole side of cabinet by entry door due to poor alignment with countertop. In my mind, kitchen and baths sell houses and RVs and this kitchen is well designed but the execution is maybe 8th grade shop class….
Odd design choices made by AS:
Wasted space everywhere. Obviously, they have never spent time in a Roadtrek.There’s a big open space under closet with a hinged door which is a prime candidate for a build out. Three trash cans in kitchen is also an odd choice. I’m hoping to make a funnel for right counter trash hole to big trash can to make more useful. I’m also going to buy some more of those rubbermaid trash cans (made in USA, while they are still available cuz someday they will be replaced with chinese junk which won’t fit perfectly)
Sharp edge everywhere: I have cut myself entering cabinets on sharp laminate corners, most commonly getting clothes out of sterlite bins under beds.
Storage above refer is not self supporting so you have to hold door open with hand or head to get stuff in or out of cabinet.
Random use of corner beading around cabinets without much success where used. Almost like a partial fix of production issues with inconsistent application or simply an often forgotten item during installation.
Bathroom light switch hidden by hand towel holder.
Hot water tank switch similar to light switches used elsewhere and not hidden by hand towel. Hit the electric power on an empty hot water tank and find yourself out an electric element….
Dimmable overhead lights but not dimmable indirect mood lights.
TV in bedroom too low. I will build VESA shifter to raise it 4-6 inches with existing mounts
Too few towel bars (they are Kohler Alteo units and can be purchased at Amazon). There is also a matching robe hook available.
Some great Choices made by AS:
Radio head unit - polk waterproof marine unit with app control works well and sounds good.
Great lighting. Best I have since since our old Bluebird. Great for everything from reading to tv watching.
Zip Dee awnings (need I say more)
Laminate cabinets which are durable and clean easy.
Atwood hot water and real forced air furnace We like it cold at night but first thing in morning it’s great to hit heater and its warm in a matter of minutes.
Lots of made in USA labels on subassemblies. Thank you.
Samstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thanks for taking the time write such an extensive report. I also appreciate your objectivity. And congrats on your new Globetrotter!

A few questions if you don't mind:
1. Do keep the dining table up at all times or do you make it into a larger lounge? 2. Is the lounge area comfortable for extended periods of time (like watching a movie or waiting out a rain storm)?
3. BTW which color scheme did you get?

My DW loves the looks of the Globetrotter and wants to see one in person. But she is concerned about the comfort of the lounge. I am as well!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I understand that to make the dinette into a bed you have to use a couple large extra cushions that must be carried either in the TV or put in one of the closets. Is this correct?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
2 days into new globetrotter

We are 2 days into our new globetrotter. We have very few nits! Yes, accent lighting should be dimmable. Yes, way to many sharp edges that will need some talc with 400 grit to soften the ridge. Our cabinets seem to fit nicely. Love the power awning and stabilizers.
We can't believe the extra room in the dinette area with the new bolster arrangement.
Funny thing is we really wanted a Pendleton until we found Globetrotter.
I wish they would install a MAGNUM energy 2000 inverted and make all the plug INS operate from shore power or inverted power.
We have dark walnut Dublin slate color scheme.
Overall fit and finish way better than our previous 2015 FC.
Happy campers!
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I understand that to make the dinette into a bed you have to use a couple large extra cushions that must be carried either in the TV or put in one of the closets. Is this correct?

That is correct. It’s definitely a downside of the lounge back design.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Samstu - does yours have an odd hole between the lounge back and the cabinet wall directly under the main TV? Does the piping trim end abruptly there?
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
We keep the table up at all times and find everything very comfortable. I have been sitting at couch for last 3 hours watching tv and on computer. We chose light colored wood with blue cushions as we like sunlight and all the windows and skylights but couldn’t trust ourselves with white cushions. White curtains are bad enought!!
Yes the dinette requires 2 additional cushions to make into bed. The GT comes with 4 extra cushions 2 for couch, 2 for dinette plus we got 6 decorative pillows and 4 bed pillows. 3 cushions will store under bed center section, 1 is in closet and extra pillows are under couch and above bed. Will leave more of these home next time.
I don’t see any odd holes below tv but there is a ¾ inch gap between fridge cabinet and sidewall of trailer.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Refer cabinet strut

Just a small tip. I installed a simple strut on the cabinet door above the refer.

I also installed a larger spring strut on the bathroom mirror cabinet.

Both work well.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Love the design of the GT. Thanks for sharing your experiences. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Samstu,

We're sorry to learn about the issues you described in your 2018 27' Globetrotter. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
You're under Airstream's 2-year warranty with your new unit so be sure to take advantage of that with some of these items on your list.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Richland , Washington
Thanks for sharing your experience. For the price Airstream wants for their trailers, I wouldn't be too pleased that there are so many poorly designed items and poor quality installations. I'd be having a discussion with them about it. I'd expect much more for my money than what you've described.
PamsCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albert Lea , Minnesota
Thanks for your post Samstu. It cured my post "purchase dissonance" this morning. We are leaving tomorrow morning to pick up our new GT at a dealership. We are newly retired full timers.

Safe travels
sheinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstu View Post
Hi All:

My wife and I have spent two weeks in our new 2018 globetrotter on Chokoloskee Island and wanted to share our experiences.

I would post in the 2018 Globetrotter section, but there isn’t one (yet).

Let me say we love this trailer. It’s our first airstream but we have previously owned everything from a home built adventure trailer to a diesel pusher Bluebird Wanderlodge. We bought this to replace a fifth wheel flooded by Irma.

We love how quiet it is inside. Very tight during a recent thunderstorm. We love all the natural light and airflow when windows are open. We like the factory mattress and use regular queen sheets without issue. Walmart sells striped runner carpets with same color blue at edges as our couch upholstery. We have enjoyed the tv and sound system and have found them to be both easy and versatile. Hint: Go to setup menu and lock your phone in once paired and you shouldn’t have connectivity issues. Ultramarine app for phone allows remote control of stereo from outside which is a nice feature. We can confirm ease of cleaning spills on upholstery and floor.

We really love the minimalist design which fits with our continued downsizing and simplification of life. This trailer speaks to tiny house sensibilities and the clean design compliments the exterior nicely.

I will list some issues, most of which are minor and I bring up as these issues as they may not be unique and others may want to check prior to delivery: Other issues likely relate to being a new model with some growing pains or relate to bean counter design choices. Please don’t read them as a list of complaints but as my experience and opinion.

Issues at delivery:

Leaking AC unit in closet - fixed by dealer

Broken Shower Light -still on order

Speaker not working - fixed myself - both wires never connected

Issues I’ve since noticed

Broken chrome bezel around radio head unit (the guts are hidden under blue ray player in overhead bin. Replaceable and under 20 bucks on polk website

Poorly constructed and assembled kitchen cabinets with drawers that are out of alignment and crash into side of L penninsula when opened. I have adjusted some but slides used are lower quality units without built in adjusters so I will eventually remove and reinstall slides and probably whole side of cabinet by entry door due to poor alignment with countertop. In my mind, kitchen and baths sell houses and RVs and this kitchen is well designed but the execution is maybe 8th grade shop class….

Odd design choices made by AS:

Wasted space everywhere. Obviously, they have never spent time in a Roadtrek.There’s a big open space under closet with a hinged door which is a prime candidate for a build out. Three trash cans in kitchen is also an odd choice. I’m hoping to make a funnel for right counter trash hole to big trash can to make more useful. I’m also going to buy some more of those rubbermaid trash cans (made in USA, while they are still available cuz someday they will be replaced with chinese junk which won’t fit perfectly)

Sharp edge everywhere: I have cut myself entering cabinets on sharp laminate corners, most commonly getting clothes out of sterlite bins under beds.

Storage above refer is not self supporting so you have to hold door open with hand or head to get stuff in or out of cabinet.

Random use of corner beading around cabinets without much success where used. Almost like a partial fix of production issues with inconsistent application or simply an often forgotten item during installation.

Bathroom light switch hidden by hand towel holder.

Hot water tank switch similar to light switches used elsewhere and not hidden by hand towel. Hit the electric power on an empty hot water tank and find yourself out an electric element….

Dimmable overhead lights but not dimmable indirect mood lights.

TV in bedroom too low. I will build VESA shifter to raise it 4-6 inches with existing mounts

Too few towel bars (they are Kohler Alteo units and can be purchased at Amazon). There is also a matching robe hook available.

Some great Choices made by AS:

Radio head unit - polk waterproof marine unit with app control works well and sounds good.

Great lighting. Best I have since since our old Bluebird. Great for everything from reading to tv watching.

Zip Dee awnings (need I say more)

Laminate cabinets which are durable and clean easy.

Atwood hot water and real forced air furnace We like it cold at night but first thing in morning it’s great to hit heater and its warm in a matter of minutes.

Lots of made in USA labels on subassemblies. Thank you.

Thanks for your detailed summary. I also have one on order. I will use your experience as a guide.
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
Davey "Ham" KU9L

Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
We attended the 2018 Tampa RV Supershow on Tuesday on Industry Day while things were still being set up. I noticed with the Twin Beds that there was a gap with plenty of room to put the cushions at the end of the beds, both sides, before the wall. Tying up closet space was not needed.

My wife absolutely fell in Love with the Globetrotter FBT and we spent 2 1/2 hours checking it out to the point we missed out on the free lunch the show was providing, so we had to order a healthy salad instead.

The showstopper for us that prevented us from becoming permanently attached to it was that the FBT model on display with most of the options (50-amp, etc) meant that the labeled cargo loading figure on the yellow sticker was down to 1005 pounds. The FBQ was labeled at 1161 pounds, more doable, but the amount of storage you get with the twins blew our minds(!). However, a full load of water and 400 pounds of people and a beagle meant that as full-timers we would be really challenged to not be at absolute maximum weight all of the time. There is only so much house stuff that you can carry in your truck to compensate for lack of proper CCC.

We feel that the Globetrotter is a splendid candidate for those that find the Classic decor a little too "old lady like" and if the Globetrotter as it stands (with the improvement suggested by the OP) ever had a Real World cargo loading of 1500-2000 pounds (with Options), then a lot more full-timers like us would flock to it. I personally liked the Classic and all of its bells and whistles, but (it does not fit in our driveway, the Globetrotter would fit nicely - 3 feet is a big deal) as folks who camp host and travel to a lot of campgrounds that do not have power or water often times, the three feet shorter coach would have gotten us into places we love to go with a little more breathing room.

So, if AS ever decides to build a full-timer rated version of the Globetrotter, and I am not talking about oodles of extra weight capacity needed, we would give the Globetrotter FBT an instant 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th look. It was so nice to have a bunch of models to climb through. We did not like the decor of the FC 26U as I thought we would, better CCC, but as full-timers needing a shorter coach, we want the cheery decor of the Globetrotter.

Thank you AS for sparking our imagination and hopefully your tweaking will keep us from going to another SOB coach.
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
My 2018 GT FBQ has 30 amp setup and is rated with 1217 pound CCC. 323 listed as water tank weight. For us, that's nearly a thousand pounds for propane, food and clothes since we never carry more than a few gallons of water for on road potty breaks.

I don't understand need for weight of people and dog since you would never actually ride in trailer while in motion (unlike a motorhome). But I do agree the CCC would be tight for full timing.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
Davey "Ham" KU9L

Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstu View Post
My 2018 GT FBQ has 30 amp setup and is rated with 1217 pound CCC. 323 listed as water tank weight. For us, that's nearly a thousand pounds for propane, food and clothes since we never carry more than a few gallons of water for on road potty breaks.

I don't understand need for weight of people and dog since you would never actually ride in trailer while in motion (unlike a motorhome). But I do agree the CCC would be tight for full timing.
The CCC rating is for all times, sitting or moving and being near full weight siting for a spell reminds me of those folks pulling big square boxes a full weights not realizing the grossly inflated TV ratings wasn't meant for 24/7 towing.

That is the CCC of my SOB TT and works fairly well for us, is 30-amp and easy to park as it is only 23', but not quite enough room for full-timing so as we transition from property managers at a large campground while we do eldercare, back to full-timing, the extra space is obviously needed. Currently, I have our printer/scanner in the outside storage space under the U-dinette where it works very well there, except in rainy weather when I have to print shipping labels for my Amazon FBM. We previously full-timed in a truck camper with super-slide, so any space feels like luxury although it had a bigger bathroom & shower than most AS models.

Since we have wall to wall snowbirds, contractors, and old folks, our style of travel rarely involves staying in campgrounds close to cities and generally requires bringing all of your water with you, whether staying out on the gold claim, prospecting & visiting NFS campgrounds (a few we use has one or two spigots without threads for you to fill a portable jug). Two weeks of rest stops, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop's, turn-outs on Alaska Hwy, and many others doesn't quite work bringing just a few gallons with us, especially when we camp host where it is 20 miles one way to bring in the FW bladder or to haul out the blue boy's which requires a macerate pump to get it up into the bed of the truck.

We definitely would not seek out the 50-amp option which obviously weighs quite a bit more. One of our guests has an '89 Excella if I remember correctly and is always complaining we aren't giving him enough amps. I try to explain to him that 115 degree heat index in a FL summer with partial shade is a challenge for any RV with one air conditioner. As soon as we are done with our eldercare here we will be retiring from the CG mgr business, but running a business on the road means needing a few gallons of water and a little CCC so the grandbabies & family can visit us too.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post
We attended the 2018 Tampa RV Supershow on Tuesday on Industry Day while things were still being set up. I noticed with the Twin Beds that there was a gap with plenty of room to put the cushions at the end of the beds, both sides, before the wall. Tying up closet space was not needed.

My wife absolutely fell in Love with the Globetrotter FBT and we spent 2 1/2 hours checking it out to the point we missed out on the free lunch the show was providing, so we had to order a healthy salad instead.

The showstopper for us that prevented us from becoming permanently attached to it was that the FBT model on display with most of the options (50-amp, etc) meant that the labeled cargo loading figure on the yellow sticker was down to 1005 pounds. The FBQ was labeled at 1161 pounds, more doable, but the amount of storage you get with the twins blew our minds(!). However, a full load of water and 400 pounds of people and a beagle meant that as full-timers we would be really challenged to not be at absolute maximum weight all of the time. There is only so much house stuff that you can carry in your truck to compensate for lack of proper CCC.

We feel that the Globetrotter is a splendid candidate for those that find the Classic decor a little too "old lady like" and if the Globetrotter as it stands (with the improvement suggested by the OP) ever had a Real World cargo loading of 1500-2000 pounds (with Options), then a lot more full-timers like us would flock to it. I personally liked the Classic and all of its bells and whistles, but (it does not fit in our driveway, the Globetrotter would fit nicely - 3 feet is a big deal) as folks who camp host and travel to a lot of campgrounds that do not have power or water often times, the three feet shorter coach would have gotten us into places we love to go with a little more breathing room.

So, if AS ever decides to build a full-timer rated version of the Globetrotter, and I am not talking about oodles of extra weight capacity needed, we would give the Globetrotter FBT an instant 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th look. It was so nice to have a bunch of models to climb through. We did not like the decor of the FC 26U as I thought we would, better CCC, but as full-timers needing a shorter coach, we want the cheery decor of the Globetrotter.

Thank you AS for sparking our imagination and hopefully your tweaking will keep us from going to another SOB coach.

I have a 27FB Twin on order. I have actually never seen the GT in. Twin, but looked at many signatures and serenity trim models in twins. The catalog weight of the queen i looked at was 6195 pounds with full LP tanks. WIth full fresh water, the total weight increases tp 6571 pounds. The gross trailer weight rating is 7600 pounds. With full fresh water, that leaves 1029 pounds for cargo in the trailer when towing. I also ordered every option, the largest being the 2nd AC which changes the electrical input to a 50amp system to carry the load. I will take a look at the curb weight with the 2nd AC unit to confirm my calculations. Thanks for pointing this out.
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #19
Davey "Ham" KU9L

Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
I think if we had seen the 30-amp models to start with it would not have been as much of a shock as the extra weight of the AC unit and whole split bus assembly obviously had quite the impact. I was not sure why the show had a QT FBQ & FBT with 50-amp service but did not go for the convection option which would have doubled the pantry size, etc. Going with 50-amp and keeping the gas oven did not seem like well thought out choices to me.

Here are two things to check that we noticed at the show, not related to weight:
1 - The QT FBQ had a lot of pink anti-freeze juice dripping on the top drawer with the cutout under the sink. I think the S-trap or P-trap was not sealing correctly and is something that seems to happen a lot to many SOB coaches as well.
2 - The QT FBT had a broken switch on the reading light above the bed, it is a pencil-thin metal switch handle that did not have a crisp throw and was acting like the ball bearings were broke loose, causing the light to misfire part of the time both on and off.
3 - Check the shower door for proper sealing of the threshold below, something felt very odd about the design that seemed like a potential for delamination, I have had my share of them on many SOB rigs both interior and exterior, so am very gunshy.

Best of luck, Sheila is still telling her father about the QT's we played in and I will try to revisit Patrick's video at Colonial Airstream to compare his numbers as I think it was a 30-amp model there too.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #20
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We also attended the Tampa RV show and took a good hard look at the GT. After much discussion and contemplation we decided that this was the one for us so we put one on order.

We decided to go with the 50A model with two AC's (reasoning that it is better to have two and not need one than have one and need two). We really liked the ducted air system. It is so quiet as compared to the unit we have in our 2009 Int. The additional weight of the second AC is not an issue with us as we normally don't take long trips requiring heavy loads.

We did not choose the solar option nor the electric awning but did include the awning package. Nor did we choose the convention oven option.

Needless to say we are excited and somewhat anxious. I say anxious because of some of the quality issues with new AS's that are posted on the forum. But I think more excited than anxious!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote