Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Montgomery , Texas
17 cents per kwh?

I know it stands for kilowatt hour but thats about all I know. I'm looking for a place to park my AS on a long term basis and this particular RV park charges 17 cents per kwh. I have no idea what this means but it sounds like it could really add up. I dont plan on using a ton of electricity but I will be using the AC and it gets pretty hot. Can someone tell me what this means? Ballpark or highest to lowest? Also what if it was 10, 12, 14 cents?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
It costs 17 cents for 1000 watts run for an hour. Or 100 watts run for 10 hours.

Each air conditioner is different but lets say it takes 1200 watts. It will cost a little under 21 cents per hour to run (as long as compressor is running).

If the rate is 12 cents per kilowatt hour, running a thousand watts for an hour costs 12 cents. Or a hundred watts for 10 hours, 10 watts for a hundred hours, etc.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Is the trailer under a cover as shown?

I spent a couple winters in south texas. I don't remember the parks rate per kwh but, I seem to remember something like $.10 per kwh. It used to cost me approx $30 per month in jan, feb, mar, and I used a small electric heater plus one 30lb bottle of propane per month.

I would expect my summer rate with the a/c going hard in Texas to at least double to $60 per month and that is at the lower rate of $.10 per kwh. At $.17 per kwh that would be approx $100 per month. Just a guess.

I would ask them what an average summer bill would be. Airstreams are not very well insulated and alum is a good conductor.

My trailer is a 29ft so close to yours in size.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I know it stands for kilowatt hour but thats about all I know. I'm looking for a place to park my AS on a long term basis and this particular RV park charges 17 cents per kwh. I have no idea what this means but it sounds like it could really add up. I dont plan on using a ton of electricity but I will be using the AC and it gets pretty hot. Can someone tell me what this means? Ballpark or highest to lowest? Also what if it was 10, 12, 14 cents?
At my stick house I am presently paying around 11 cents per kwh although the heat and A/C are at a lower 6 cent rate. The rates vary from place to place. Mine would be lower if I lived 2 miles north.

With just the converter you'll probably only use a few kwh a day but with the water heater and air conditioning you could hit 20-30 kwh, maybe a little more on a hot day.