Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
1/2 timing, is it wrong too much

Maybe...... I love staying in my little studio apartment....

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have spent over 100 nights in my trailer this year. Easing my into full time for when my house sells.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am 160 traveling nights, work related, love my Summer job, it is very hard, but worth it for ne stay in my Summer Cottage.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We're snowbird travelers, 6-7 months a year for eight years now. We pick a winter destination or two and try to pick different routes all over the country to see as much of the country as we can.

We are very comfortable in our little home, staying active in good weather helps keep our health and the travel always gives us something to look forward to and the chance to meet new friends. Not much wrong here.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
1/2 timing is what works best for many of us.

I'm also on the road 6-7 months out of the year, and it is the perfect balance.

Having a larger home base to return to is necessary for me, but I still get to go and do and see.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Caring for house while on the road

So how do you half timers take care of the house during the 6-7 months on the road? Lawn maintenance, pool maintenance maybe, security, general maintenance issues that might arise?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"So how do you half timers take care of the house during the 6-7 months on the road?"

That is a problem. Somebody to mow the lawn while we are gone. Someone to check on it every couple of weeks. Gave the pool up when we got the Airstream. Work like heck to catch up when we are back at home. Lucky with no break ins so far, but that is the huge worry. A tree fell on the power line to the house and pulled the line and the boards it was attached to from the house. Luckily my son was in town that weekend and caught it.

Another big issue for us is the mail. Sometimes we miss an important piece. When we have it forwarded the PO sometimes makes it a permanent move and sometimes sends it to an old address. Hard to get it all coming back to the house when we return. And we pay for a lot of stuff we are not using all the time. I keep thinking that we will get better at arranging for the house but instead it is getting worse.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We plan to be "partial timers" after we retire in a couple years. Currently in the process of downsizing our stick house, but still really want a home base somewhat near the kids and their family (but not too close!). We will probably settle into 6 - 8 week trips multiple times a year, skipping the dead of winter here and travelling the north lands in summer.

Since we'll be relatively close to my sons, I'll have them perform "health" checks on the house and hire a local kid to mow, etc. Installing some WIFI cameras, water alarms and connected thermostats will give peace of mind that potential catastrophes are caught early. Sons and/or neighbors can intervene. We do that now, even for our short 2 - 3 week trips.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-n-Janet View Post
So how do you half timers take care of the house during the 6-7 months on the road? Lawn maintenance, pool maintenance maybe, security, general maintenance issues that might arise?
My son lives a mile from the house, and gets a small check each month from my bank to check mail and the house a couple of times a week when we're gone.

Yard work is hired out, and all regularly recurring bills come electronically.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I know it's hard to part with a house, but reading the problems of home ownership while traveling 6 months a year made me think a condo might be a practical compromise.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I know it's hard to part with a house, but reading the problems of home ownership while traveling 6 months a year made me think a condo might be a practical compromise.
Too many "shop" hobbies for a condo for me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Grass Valley , California
We live in our Airstream during the week and then spend sometime at the house on weekends every once in awhile. Having the house is nice so we can have family get together and have more room for the kids and grandkids.
We do enjoy the RV life and look forward to 7/8 full time after retirement.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have been gone about 30-50% of the year for the last 8 years since I retired. Cutting back on the trailer time slightly though now. We can not get on a caravan right now. I would give up the trailer before I would the house, though I have no plans to give up either yet. You do have to be fairly healthy to travel and I can see the end to long trips coming.

Yes, I like my shop, even though nobody really wants the stuff I make. Time to go on the road now though. A few days dedicated to getting ready and fixing broke on the trailer. Will see some of you folks at Escanaba. Dr's appointment in Green Bay after that. We have to schedule 1 per month for eyes. Then head west for a while, I expect. First time in a long time headed out with no agenda or goal in mind.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You'll have the same issues in a condo....how to deal with your mail and bills, and having someone check on condo in case of a water leak, etc.. An unattended condo can be even worse, in regards to a water leak in your, or your neighbor's condos.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote