Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
XC360 Roof

I need to reseal some areas on our roof. We are new to Airstream MH's. Is it safe to get on the roof, or do I needsome plywood to distribute the weight

Thanks
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I sent you a PM.

You should change your registry if you have not got the 30' any more.

My Clipper has the fiberglass roof and I assume your XC360 has the same.
There is no problem walking on the roof (approx 200lbs) as long as there has been no water damage to the underlying ply of luan (plywood).
If there has been water damage, the roof will be soft in spots. The glue on the ply to f/g will have parted and give no support. If you have a soft spot I would use some other support to walk in that area, as a direct footstep may crack the fiberglass and also could do some damage pushing down the insulation and the interior ceiling.

The problem areas may be near the skylights or vents.

You must keep a close eye on your roof to avoid costly damage that will show up after the damage is done. Preventive maintenance is always the only way to go.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
I need to reseal some areas on our roof. We are new to Airstream MH's. Is it safe to get on the roof, or do I needsome plywood to distribute the weight

Thanks
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
After bringing the "new to us" XC home where it had been garaged except for the 50K it was on the road, I climbed up on the roof to look around. The seams were in good shape but sun, and the resulting oxidation, had done it's thing. There was mildew in the tiny cracks of the textured surface. I cleaned and the oxidation with Simple Green. I didn't let it run down the sides so I applied with a rag and used a scrub brush then rinsed with a rag and clear water. Finally, I hosed the whole roof. The next day I applied Johnson No-buff Floor Wax. That can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. if you look closely. Lowe's has Red Max which a lot of guys use on a fiberglass or gelcoat surface. Since I had experience as a janitor I'm more familiar with the old stand-by, Johnson Wax.

I put on one light coat being careful to run my strokes the same direction all over (like putting on good varnish). The second day I applied a second coat. Water beads like it should. I'll probably hose off in three months and apply a third coat. Next year I'm thinking all I'll need to do is use a good car wash product, a scrub brush for some spots, and put on two coats three months apart. I should also be able to maintain it that way for a few years.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote