Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Window Leak, Clipper, Class A, Land Yacht,

This applies to the Clipper, but will also be of help for other "flat front" models.

We were having a heavy wind and rain this morning, and I was out checking the Clipper for any problems. (Still haven't got it covered for the winter.)

On initial inspection, I has quite pleased that no problem was evident.
However, just as I leaned over to turn off the #3 battery inverter, I noticed a drop of water on the passenger window frame ledge. Close inspection showed that the window track was holding water.
No water was running down the side frames, and after drying it up, and watching for the water track, I determined it was entering just at the lower joint where the window slides open.
On inspection from the outside (in the rain ) I determined that my repair with polyurethane sealant in that area last year has now cracked and separated, allowing the wind driven water an access point.
I'll have to wait on the weather to dry up before applying a new repair.

Always keep a close watch on your unit, especially after the hot summer season, as this type of water leak will cause heavy damage to your unit, if allowed to migrate to the wall below the window, with delam in the area the result.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Rain 026.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	143870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Rain 016.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	143872  

Name:	Airstream Rain 021.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	143873  

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Did some more investigating and then completed what I believe is the repair on the above leak.
When I looked close at this problem, what I thought was the deteriorated polyurethane caulk, I found it was not lifted as I suspected.
On further digging, I could see that the water should not migrate to the inner channel. The OEM has included two drain holes, that are seen from the outside lower window frame, and if not blocked should drain any water from the channel.
The problem that I found was, the placement of liquid rubber plug over the frame joint that makes an effective dam, allowing captured water to only drain from the hole on that end of the window frame.
On my window, someone? had deposited another gob of white caulking in the front portion of the channel, blocking the water from draining, and causing it to flood over to the inner channel.
I removed the slide window and cleaned the area and reinstalled and am confident that this problem is gone.

The slide window can be easily removed by pulling out the upper slide rubber material, and the window lifts out.
The lower slide rubber was embedded into the liquid rubber caulk mentioned above, thus not allowing water to drain.
When you have your air hose out, blow out the drain vents from the outside. This will move any minor blockage that is in the channel and maybe allow it to drain better.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	144243   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	144244  

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	144245   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	144246  

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	144247   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	144248  

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	144249  

Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Another leak today.
We have had a deep freeze a week or so back, and now the first real heavy rain.
This morning, a small leak in the corner above the steering wheel.
I suspected a front clearance lamp.
I pulled the upper inside panel on drivers side and insulation was dry.
I pulled the TV and checked the center clearance lamps and the insulation there was dry also.
I had changed these clearance lamps to LED because the old bulb style did leak, but on close inspection, these LED were dry and my seal was good.

Got my moisture meter out and I found dampness in the headliner insulation directly above the drivers seat.

I now had a track to follow and discovered that the recent freeze had lifted the caulk on the satellite cable entry, and the water was following the cable down to the left storage box area that leads to the center mount TV.

Where the cable entered the factory cover, there was a depression in the caulk to trap the rain, and after the frost finally lifted the caulking, leaking resulted.

I find it amazing that one grain of coffee will block the drip maker, but the smallest crack will allow a leak in an AIRSTREAM.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote