Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Vehicle AC Unit

Has anyone had any luck with the Autozone/etc. ac refill kits? Any recommendations/advice please?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
For your tow vehicle, topping off is pretty simple with an auto parts store kit but shouldn't be necessary. To my knowledge there is no charging port on any of the RV air conditioners.

If you have the skill set, you could add one but it is beyond my ability.

Mike

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Unless you are reasonably knowledgable about automotive AC systems, I cannot really recommend you try this do it yourself area. There is a lot more to them than just adding some refrigerant.

I learned a lot about automotive AC systems when I worked at an AC shop when I was in my early 20's. It is not rocket science, for sure, but also not for the casual user.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Yes, I use the WalMart products for the CLIPPER. In Canada sometimes the products are hard to come by.

On my unit, there is a low pressure nipple in the chassis a/c located within the front access on the bulkhead. Read the instructions and do not over fill with the refrigerant.

You get a pressure gauge with the kit. Check the pressure first. If there is no pressure in the system, you have a problem that has to be dealt with by a professional.

If you have low pressure, add a can and recheck. Do not overfill.

Wear safety glasses, and gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
Has anyone had any luck with the Autozone/etc. ac refill kits? Any recommendations/advice please?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Well, it's not ice cold, but not searing hot either. Maybe enuff for driving around occasionally.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Talking about the tow vehicle correct? Most modern vehicles use R134a refrigerant. As such, the amount of refrigerant in the system is critical to optimal performance. In the old days, with R12 refrigerant, you could top off the refrigerant until the sight glass cleared up. Not so anymore. The best method is to reclaim the R134a remaining in the system, evacuate the system, and refill with the proper weight of refrigerant. Otherwise, you are just guessing...pressures vary due to many conditions and is not an accurate method for filling R134a systems.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Those kits usally do more damage than good, but they work in a pinch. Your best bet is to take it to someone with the correct tools and training for the job.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If you have adaquate R134 in the system and it is still not cold air, you might find that the outside fresh air door is not closing.

When on a/c, you should be recircualting inside air.

If you have no air barrier to separate the cabin area from the living area, the dash air does not have a hope in hell of cooling that much space.

My 'air barrier' is shown in this post.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1608622

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post981579

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
Well, it's not ice cold, but not searing hot either. Maybe enuff for driving around occasionally.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote