Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
Lawrenceville , New Jersey
valve behind heater? water pipes behind refrigerator?

Hi all,
I have a 1998 Cutter that I spent many months renovating.
Earlier today, I attached a hose to the water inlet for the first time this year.
The water system had been winterized. However, I discovered water dripping from the outside heater hatch. So looking behind the heater from the inside, on the left side, I found two grey water pipes going up behind the refrigerator. I have no idea what they are for. There is no ice-maker in the frig.
And there is a valve on one of the pipes. At floor level, the pipe with the valve splits into a T, one line going toward the front, one going toward the back.
I spent a long time trying to decipher the schematic, but that line behind the frig doesn't seem to be there.
Anyway, my guess is that the water is leaking out of one of the two pipes going up behind the frig.
I fear I'm going to have to remove the refrigerator to deal with this, but still wonder what these lines and the valve are for.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David
daa1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
You’ll find out when you pull the refrigerator, how about a picture or two ??? Maybe washer/dryer ??? Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
On my CLIPPER, I also had a water line up behind the fridge that I think was for the optional ice maker? It was mounted to close to the fridge LPG, 12V, 120v, Flue, (Heat element,) and expanded under pressure and heat. I caught it before it created a problem. I was able to cut it off from below the fridge and cap it, as it was not of value to me.
Always look close at the problem. There will be a solution!
If I was to need that water line again, I would be able to pre-assemble it, install and connect with a shark-bite fitting.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Caldwell , Idaho
I agree one line will be for possible ice maker the other could be the frig condensate drain line. Seems there is always some new thing to learn about the rolling houses. Ron
Ron_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
Lawrenceville , New Jersey
solved

Hi all,
Thanks for your responses and sorry I am so late replying. My house sold quickly and I've been scrambling with a thousand things so that I can move aboard my motorhome.
Anyway, I had to remove the refrigerator. That was easy. Getting it back was hard. The frame was warping tight and just catching the flange around the front of the refrigerator and catching on the last two inches. I had to sand the frame to a slight angle to get the fridge back in.
One pipe was some electrical lines. I didn't trace them so don't know what they were. I found that odd since in the entire motorhome, I found only one other pipe with wires.
The other pipe was probably for an optional ice maker. I couldn't see exactly where the leak was coming from and thought I'd have to do some pipework. That might have required cutting through the wood panel separating the heater compartment from the refrigerator compartment. Not something I wanted to do when pressed for time.
Anyway, after opening and closing the valve a couple of times, the leak stopped completely on its own.
The only thing I can guess is that there might have been a little water in it and, with the cold winter in the Northeast, it may have frozen and distorted the seat in the valve. Opening and closing it may have set it back into place.
Anyway, that's my theory.
I'll be living in South Jersey for the summer, then probably going to Florida in the fall. Not sure about Florida. I work over the Internet and can live anywhere. All this happened quickly and I'm pretty excited by it.
David
daa1111 is offline   Reply With Quote