Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
Lucas S

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
TV Replacement

I just bought a 2000 Land Yacht XC Diesel. I was working on adding the second line from my Winegard Minimax Roadtrip for the rear TV, so I wouldn't have to mirror the feeds from front to back. Once I had all that done and added the box, I still couldn't get the sound to play on each TV individually. Whatever that stupid OHS surround system was was absolutely horrible, stupid, and I don't know if it wasn't working properly or if it was supposed to do that from the beginning...There seemed to be only an on/off switch...anyways, moot point. I replaced the old CRT in the bedroom, that was easy. Replacing the TV in the front, oh lord, that wasn't. On my previous motorhome it was overhead, and there was wood in the back of the "box" I was able to mount an articulating mount to. Wasn't the case on the Land Yacht. I want to know if I did an OK job. Also, I'm looking into having my dealership install some kind of flip down TV from the ceiling. Has anybody done that before??

(P.S., sorry for the dirty floor...I'll post a new picture in a reply post tomorrow.)

-Lucas S
2000 Land Yacht XC35 Diesel
2007 Hummer H2 Tow Car
1999 Fleetwood Bounder
2004 Saturn Vue Tow Car
1998 Fleetwood Avion 38F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	212167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	212168  

Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Caldwell , Idaho
TV Replacememnt

Looks like what I need to do, I have a 2000 xc and have looked at the front TV and what a pain it will be to deal with.
What size screen did you go with? I see you kept your trim and worked in side the box with your mount some how. With the box so unfinished and the dash behind unfinished what you did makes for a good looking way to install a new set, I would say you did all right. Today I was just looking at the upper cabinet and though I might take piece of cardboard the size of my replacement TV and tape it to the upper cabinet and see if it would be a problem mounted there. I have a 27 inch flat screen to play with, always something to do with the big money sucking toys. Have a good one Ron

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Lucas S

Fresno , California
Yah I didn't see hanging it as an option. I've done this for now, but my dealership is getting a roof mounter flip down LCD installed. We're still figuring out what the hell to replace the TV box with!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
We rarely watch TV anyway so weren't concerned with fitting a large unit so I found one at Walmart that fits inside the flange neatly. Strip of black-painted ply top and bottom and it looks better than the original.

Solved the problem in the bedroom by chucking the tv in the nearest skip bin and covering the hole with some ply stained to match the rest of the timber. Same with rear speakers fed from the front - just cut the wires. Gave us a lot of extra storage space too.

Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Lucas S

Fresno , California
Gotta say I like what you did in the front a lot! The funny thing is I just couldn't manage to find a tv small enough to fit in the flange. And even then the skills to make those 2 pieces of ply you used is beyond me. My next question though is, since I've ordered the drop down TV, what in God's name should I do with the TV box???
Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Gaffney , South Carolina
We turned ours into a kitty litter box holder. Not the best or desired option. Mounted a swivel holder for a lightweight tv on the wooden piece between the DR and Pass flip up cubbys over the windshield. When we're traveling, I take the tv off the swivel and stow. Otherwise, we can swivel the tv to stay over the DR windshield and see it from just about every chair except the DR seat.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
I couldn't think of a good use for the original huge square cubby which is why it was either leave the old TV there, or find a tv to fit. Had a good look at pulling it right out but that would have left a huge hole that would have been a major job to get looking as if it was always meant to be there.

Pretty hard to find a TV set under 123" but a Vizio model E221-A1 just fitted nicely.

My modifications have to be such that I can carry them out either in a walmart or Home Depot parking lot. Home depot is preferred because they have free wifi all over the car park - and it isn't so crowded with RVers.

The Airstream is wearing its age pretty well, but some things don't last forever. Last remote locking key fob failed this trip so had to replace the whole unit with a two channel remote off EBay. TV was actually working but picture quality was never great so out it went together with the VCR and antenna switching box and digital set-top box - and the radio which was also working apart from the dial lamp so couldn't see anything on the face plate, plus the CDD stacker.
MH drives a lot better without all that weight.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Lucas S

Fresno , California
I forgot to post the finished product! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401907927.708455.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	213515