Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
TV reception and such

Hi ..
I am a new owner of a Cutter Bus 96 and love it. Very well taken care of and always under cover. It was quite a change, learning to drive next to the center line rather than my usual center-of-the-road driving. Whoo! those oncoming trucks on the country back roads got awful close. But I'm used to it now and the white-knuckles have turned pink again when a truck approaches, and slowing down to 35 for the country roads, I just think, be patient car in back of me, I'll be turning off shortly. -smile-

Anyway... my inquiry about tv reception. The original TV was in place and I removed it easily enough. Clipped the cord (the ONLY cord there) and left a long tail. They don't make monster sized tv's anymore, only flat face tv's and I have one from my 'other' rv that I wish to use. It is not set up for the Cutter like the old one was. The flat-face is not a 12 volt, it's a normal A/C.
I'm assuming the old tv was battery/ a/c combo. My questions:

Can I splice the a/c wires from the flat-face tv into the existing wire from the old tv. The old wire is a direct connection to the antenna, through the battery and the a/c system, I assume. I don't know.

If I cannot splice the flat-face tv into the old wire... how can I utilize the antenna system built into the coach for this flat-face tv? Can I just plug it into any existing plug-ins and it automatically utilizes the antenna?

If I cannot just plug it in to any existing plug-in, what should I do, buy, adjust in order to utilize the antenna as it is now?

I want my flat-face tv to be able to use the existing antenna for it's better reception. Thank you all so much for any assistance you may offer. Bye. Francey S.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Your wire is probably coaxle cable. You can tell by looking at it. Is it round, have an inner white plastic insulator with a solid single copper wire in the center? If yes, continue reading. You can get replacement ends at the big box stores or Radio Shack. The end will screw right into the antennae jack of the newer TV.

If you cut the power cord, put on an extension cord female end. Then plug in the TV to this.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It's simple on paper

"Can I splice the a/c wires from the flat-face tv into the existing wire from the old tv. The old wire is a direct connection to the antenna, through the battery and the a/c system, I assume. I don't know."

I would think of the power supply to the television, and the antennae to the television, to be two separate circuits. Actually I don't like them to be
run close together.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
TV antenna

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

The wire I cut is a simple 2-part wire like you'd find in the back of any tv with a plug in. It has a white line running down one section of the wire and plain black on the other. It's not co-ax cable. There were NO other wires of connectivity.

The wire I cut was the ONLY wire connecting the tv to the system.
I was unable to trace it to where that wire was connected.

I don't want to ruin the flat-face tv by trial and error; that is, splicing it to the old wire. If the antenna wire is separate? then does that mean that any plug-in within the Cutter will allow any tv access to the antenna?

Eagerly awaiting replies... -smile- Francey
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
We did this conversion on our ’95 Cutter and maybe I can help.

The power for the TV; “The wire I cut… has a white line running down one section of the wire and plain black on the other. It's not co-ax cable”.

You are correct. The wire you describe is the power cable for the TV. On our rig the power was plugged into a standard 110 volt duplex receptacle (just like the other 110 receptacles on the rig. It is located behind the carpeted cover in front of the passenger seat.

I was able to reach it by removing the air vent cover at the bottom of the panel. If you need to remove the whole panel in front of the passenger seat you can find the screws that hold it in with a magnet around the edges of the panel.

There will be a coax cable for the antenna connection lying around somewhere in the hole where you removed the old CRT TV. It will have an “F” type connector that screws onto the antenna connection on the TV.

The cable runs from the antenna amplifier (located in the locker over the sofa in our rig) down through the windshield post and behind the dash to the TV area.

We replaced the CRT (Tube) type TV with a Sony 24" flat screen. I built some shelves that fit in the space where the old TV lived and the shelves hold our Satellite receiver, DVD recorder-player and the Xbox. I am attaching a picture.