Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Trash Compactor

Hello. Anyone have any experience with adding a trash compactor to their MH they could share?

It's amazing how much trash you can generate over a day!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Trash Reduction

I prefer the original trash compactor - my foot - in a heavy boot or shoe.

In a moho it might be feaseable to add a compactor. While mohos are bigger than trailers, they are still very small compared to a house. The SMELL of garbage in a confined space would be the big negative for me. Plus they DO draw a lot of current when they operate. You could be popping breakers every time you ran the thing. With all things RV, less is more.

I get the cooking bug now and then, and being single I make 5 to 8 portions, then freeze them in single serve boiling bags. The bags take up less room in the freezer and almost none in the garbage. Cardboard boxes can be cut up with a utility knife and squashed flat, or alternately used as starter for your camp fire. Same for paper towels. When I vacuum, I return the dirt to the outside where it came from. Coffee grounds, rinse the bulk out under an evergreen tree, they love acid soil. Cans? A WWII metal recycling trick: when empty, use the can opener on the bottom (if it's an applied lid) then squash the can flat under your foot, and slide the lids inside. Aluminum cans can be squashed flat from top to bottom - just grasp the ends and twist each end in the opposite direction. You'll get a 2 inch high can. Then step on it & it's down to about 1/2 inch. If you bring along frozen veggies from the store, throw out the box before you stow them in your freezer (If you need the cooking instructions, cut them out and rubber band them to the inner packing bag.) Meat trays are almost all styrofoam which shouldn't be burned - but these also crush easily underfoot.

What I really hate is disposable plastic cups, they don't stay crushed. And the "big gulp" sizes they come in are truly horrid. Even if you only have two or three cups, it does save space to stack them before tossing them.

I use bottled water even though I know it's wasteful and not green, and the bottles themselves MAY leach some nasty pseudo-hormonal chemicals into the water. (My main campground has LOTS of iron in the water and it tastes like crap.) I've tried to buy in gallon bottles rather than the individual serving ones, but when I do have the small bottles - well I crush the empties STRAIGHT DOWN, then put the lid back on so they'll stay at least partly crushed.

We've all seen "Space Bags" that you can vacuum flat... Did you know that you can take any heavy plastic garbage bag and twist it around the wand of a small vacuum cleaner, the vacuum out the air, pull the bag off while twisting tighter and tighter - then tie a knot in the neck of the bag and it will stay compacted for hours if not days? Consider vacuum bagging your trash. If you're not throwing out something with really sharp metal edges, odds are you can reduce the bulk of your trash by 30% to 50%.

I did get some really nice clear plastic storage containers that fit in my pantry shelves - and If I buy dry cereal, dried beans, noodles, coffee, etc. they are poured out of their containers and into my permanent ones. No temptation for mice or insects and everything stores more compactly. I try to do a major grocery buy when I have the trailer hitched. If I can do that, the groceries get stowed before I leave the lot, and the cereal boxes and other trash goes in the grocery store's trash barrels or dumpster.

Paula

that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
Wow, love the storage ideas Paula!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
2000 Land Yacht 30(31') , Inverness, between the Withlachochee River and the Gulf of Mexico, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneytoRet View Post
Wow, love the storage ideas Paula!
All of Paula ideas are better than a compacter, but you can be a compactor of separated recyclables, I found a board about the inside diameter of trash can and my foot could compress dry, cardboard and plastics. Also by using a plastic compactor bag made for the purpose has the needed strength. Did this when we were boating, much more of a problem than camping.